Nerf Gun Props? YES!

A lot of the pieces here are really inspirational. If I remember later I'll take a picture of my Stampede. Nothing too fancy, just a dark metal and distressed black scheme. I got it a while ago and painted it for a Warhammer 40K Imperial Guardsman costume for the last Games Day because it just screams lasgun. It was frankly the best part of the costume and security took it away, the rest of the costume was ambitious but rubbish with my skills and experience.

More recently I got an original Rayven from Argos and gave it a matching scheme minus distress. I can get that in the shot as well if people want.

Awesome thread! Here's one I repainted summer of last year (also in an N7 theme like a few here).

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 284
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 270
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 355
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    987.6 KB · Views: 376
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:
You might also check for the Nerf Rebelle Sweet Revenge, as it is the same blaster as the Hammeshot with some cosmetic differences to the shell.

I've seen a few Sweet Revenge sets on Ebay; but they're currently going for silly prices here in the UK. Meantime the Hammershot arrived last week and is currently in bits and awaiting some decals - I'll post pics when it's completed. I was a bit apprehensive about taking it apart; but found to my delight that the innards come out in one piece, so there's no springs and small parts to lose. Someone at Nerf has obviously been thinking about us modders.

Thing is, it's turning out terribly. I've been sure to take my time, I'm being careful, and doing my best, but it's just turning out crappy. It just doesn't look convincing. Maybe I'm getting impatient while sanding though the black to expose the silver? I have no idea how Johnson get's the silver to show through the black as subtle as he does.

Brian uses a different material, but the same technique as I do for metal gun distressing. He uses paint, and I use Silver leafing. But the technique is the same. You don't paint silver and then paint black over and sand it off. That *sounds* intuitive... but it doesn't work well practically, as you've discovered.

What you do is paint your nerf gun flat black (after sanding off the logos and filling in holes, as you know) and then use a small artist brush and dry brush on the silver in SMALL amounts where natural scuffing and wear would occur. Do it a little at a time and build it up till it looks like what you want.

Here is a look at a couple of guns that I did using this technique.:

Again, I used Silver Leafing for the distressing, and rubbed some on with my fingers or a rag, and did some finer brush strokes with an artist's brush.

Also you can use some of your flat black to darken around the muzzle and breech once you get done to simulate built up GSR

Last edited:
A technique I've learned is you can still paint a piece with the color you choose to be exposed at a chip, cover points where it would weather with mustard (possibly toothpaste) and paint your over coat. Then wipe and rinse off the mustard.

The result is a perfect "layered" paint chip.

Brian uses a different material, but the same technique as I do for metal gun distressing. He uses paint, and I use Silver leafing. But the technique is the same. You don't paint silver and then paint black over and sand it off. That *sounds* intuitive... but it doesn't work well practically, as you've discovered.

What you do is paint your nerf gun flat black (after sanding off the logos and filling in holes, as you know) and then use a small artist brush and dry brush on the silver in SMALL amounts where natural scuffing and wear would occur. Do it a little at a time and build it up till it looks like what you want.

Here is a look at a couple of guns that I did using this technique.:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/IMG_20131203_112731_zpsbffa5bf5.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/kristenhenry700/IMG_20131203_112710_zps14af85d1.jpg

Again, I used Silver Leafing for the distressing, and rubbed some on with my fingers or a rag, and did some finer brush strokes with an artist's brush.

Also you can use some of your flat black to darken around the muzzle and breech once you get done to simulate built up GSR

Nice job on your guns, agree on the technique, same way I do it. Small brush, dip in silver paint, rub 99% off, hit edges. I learned from Brian, gotta be the best guy around here at it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back