Nerf Gun Props? YES!

The Indy Mogul technique is great too, if you want something that looks like the finish is nearly gone, and rubbed off. I wanted something that looks like it's been banging around in the back of a drop ship for years. :)

But can't you get the same effect with the Indy Mogul technique, but just do much shorter strokes and in smaller spots?

Here is a Vulcan that I modified to fire M40 grenades. ;)

For inspiration on this one I used some photos of old German heavy machineguns from WW2. The weathering on them was severe, and I thought it looked pretty cool. I don't usually weather my prop guns this much.

vulcan1.jpg

Great look! Did you use a spray gun or a rattle can?

I'm thinking of slicing some of the sides off the cylinder chambers and mounting fake silver Blade style spikes in there. Non-functional naturally but cool looking when it starts spinning.

Looks good a friend and I pep pieces of other weapons and add them to the rifle. With that we have made a rather decent halo battle rifle haha, although very heavy especially in armor

Great look! Did you use a spray gun or a rattle can?

The black is Krylon Ultra Flat black from the "camo" line. I think it gives the guns an almost parkerized look, which I really like.

I was at target today and picked these up:

Super-Soaker-Thunderstorm.jpg

pointbreak.jpg

Should be fun weekend projects! Love to see what you would do with these JA!

They were really cheap. $15 and $7.

Man I have got to get these two! I have seen the Tommy before but never thought it could look so good painted up like that.

Thanks for the compliment! It is a pretty cool gun when it's painted. This was for a friend who gave me a box of nerf guns. He wanted it to look like a classic tommy gun and this was what I came up with. Kind of understated, but I think he'll dig the look!

The black is Krylon Ultra Flat black from the "camo" line. I think it gives the guns an almost parkerized look, which I really like.

I was at target today and picked these up:

Super-Soaker-Thunderstorm.jpg

pointbreak.jpg

Should be fun weekend projects! Love to see what you would do with these JA!

They were really cheap. $15 and $7.

Ive been looking for those! I want to do them up similar to this Rattler which I still think is a cool design. Should be popular once the country thaws out ;)

IMG_4938-orange.jpg

ok another flurry of random guns! ;)

BuzzBeeBlaster12.jpg

BuzzBeeBlaster11.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

11-14-201012.jpg

Maverick25.jpg

One of my first guns. I still need to find a way to get the stencils to stick better so they dont bleed out...

IMG_5454.jpg

11-14-20104.jpg

11-14-20107.jpg

11-14-201011.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

Last edited:
Great mods and paint ups!

I dig 'em all.

Some people knock modding/painting these saying...
"No matter what, they still look like NERF guns".
Sometimes they're right. But if you've got time and a technique, you can take them to another level completely!

I've got quite a few in storage and I'm always on the lookout for great deals on stuff to practice on so I can tackle the projects I've got in mind for the ones I actually spent money on.

The best thing about them is that they already look futuristic/sci-fi and can be easily adapted/cut/swapped/etc.

Good work people.
Kepp them pics coming!
:thumbsup

A few completed (or near complete) projects from last week...

3/4 scale Boba Fett blaster by Hasbro
IMG_5833.jpg

details, details..
IMG_5831-detail.jpg

Robocop style Beretta ;)
IMG_5848.jpg

Disassembled and I remembered to put in the magazine!
IMG_5851.jpg

Nerf Deploy - rusty!
IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

Nerf Alpha Trooper with 18rd magazine
IMG_5836.jpg

thanks for looking!

Thank you very much! It always gives me a kick when I find other people who dig this craziness, you know? I suppose paintings are just paint on fabric, so why can't art be on a plastic toy gun? :)

Great job by the other guys who have posted their stuff, it's fun seeing the other unique ideas that people come up with besides whats rolling around in my brain, heh.

I've always been into NERF stuff! Oddly enough, some friends from my college invited me over to hang out in their basement, and as soon as I walked downstairs I about died, because they had a "weapons locker" of Nerf stuff. :lol We immediatly went out and purchased me some new modern weapons and had a war. :lol

Keep up the good work man, everything looks amazing! I can't wait to paint my stuff now, lol.

But I have to ask, where do you get your long high capacity magazines, and the scopes? I've not seen those at my Walmart, but that's not saying much, because my Walmart sucks. :unsure

Last edited:
What's a good paint to use on the Nerf stuff? We've got a small arsenal of the toys here at the house and I'd love to paint up a few of them for fun.

These are great!

I'm curious, if you don't mind me asking, the back and forth hatched painting texture, how are you getting that,... is it with a brush or steel wool... or what?

I've always been into NERF stuff! Oddly enough, some friends from my college invited me over to hang out in their basement, and as soon as I walked downstairs I about died, because they had a "weapons locker" of Nerf stuff. :lol We immediatly went out and purchased me some new modern weapons and had a war. :lol

Keep up the good work man, everything looks amazing! I can't wait to paint my stuff now, lol.

But I have to ask, where do you get your long high capacity magazines, and the scopes? I've not seen those at my Walmart, but that's not saying much, because my Walmart sucks. :unsure

Glad I could inspire you! The 18rd mags are from the Stampede (the full auto assault rifle) and the scopes are either sold by itself and comes with a few free darts or you get one as part of the Element 3-piece set that is a toys r us exclusive. The set runs 20.00, but you get a pretty groovy gun, a scope and also the red dot pointer/flashlight like what comes with the recon. If you buy the scope by itself its 10.00 so I suggest getting the set personally.

Good luck and thanks for the compliments!

Brian

What's a good paint to use on the Nerf stuff? We've got a small arsenal of the toys here at the house and I'd love to paint up a few of them for fun.

You can do really nice stuff with rattle can paint if you do really light coats after you've sanded the body as much as possible. I also rub down the body with acetone to remove any excess petrolium at the surface of the pastic.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the Valspar paint they sell at LOWES. It's pretty inexpensive like Krylon, but they have a ton of colors. Use matte or satin paint, not gloss. Also use the valspar matte clearcoat for a really good finish. Good luck!

These are great!

I'm curious, if you don't mind me asking, the back and forth hatched painting texture, how are you getting that,... is it with a brush or steel wool... or what?

I don't mind at all! Well..maybe a tad... JK ;)

The marks you see are mainly brushwork. I won't say that some of my guns have had other types of applicators, but that's not very often.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back