Subscribe
    From
    Summerville SC USA
    Nov 23, 2011, 4:19 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #926

I am almost finished with my first try at Nerf painting, someday I'd like half the talent Brian has !

Attachment 75635

Attachment 75636
  2. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Nov 24, 2011, 12:07 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #927

twistedxknights said: View Post
    figure i would share two of my nerf props..

I have a few more nerf guns i plan on modifying
    Very nice! They have a very Warhammer shape to them and I like that!

weaselhammer said: View Post
    I am almost finished with my first try at Nerf painting, someday I'd like half the talent Brian has !

Attachment 75635

Attachment 75636
    I dunno, that's looking pretty great so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
  3. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Nov 24, 2011, 12:15 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #928

A few things I'm working on! Hope you all are having a great Thanksgiving!

Final Photos on the Green Hornet themed X6

A better photo of this one:

A few detail shots on the Stampedes

and here's a few extras I'm doing up, the praxis is non-functioning, but it will have LED lighting - I'm thinking blue will be the final interior color or possibly a few different colors

lighting mock-up

another one of Mal's pistols is almost done

Last edited by JohnsonArms; Nov 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Nov 24, 2011, 2:51 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #929

how do you get the weathering, what paint do you use .. i trying out on some DC-15 and a EE1 also just moding a Mandolorina helmet at the moment

5. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Nov 24, 2011, 2:56 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #930

Amazing looking guns. Never though Nerf guns could give you such a variety.

May have to try this when making the scorpia or ballista sniper rifle from global Agenda.
    From
    Iowa
    Nov 24, 2011, 4:06 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #931

JohnsonArms said: View Post
    A few things I'm working on! Hope you all are having a great Thanksgiving!

Final Photos on the Green Hornet themed X6

A better photo of this one:

A few detail shots on the Stampedes

and here's a few extras I'm doing up, the praxis is non-functioning, but it will have LED lighting - I'm thinking blue will be the final interior color or possibly a few different colors

lighting mock-up

another one of Mal's pistols is almost done

I have a resin Blade Runner pistol that I built years ago and when I painted the grips I used Testors Model Master Burnt Umber as a base color then covered that with Tamiya Clear Orange. It came out ok but not quite the look I was hoping for.
  7. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Nov 25, 2011, 11:28 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #932

Seriously dude, compile a portfolio and send it to the prop companies. You will work on TV in no time.
    From
    Upstate New York
    Nov 26, 2011, 8:14 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #933

twistedxknights said: View Post
    figure i would share two of my nerf props..

I have a few more nerf guns i plan on modifying
    Great mod for a Maverick!!

Masterfett said: View Post
    how do you get the weathering, what paint do you use .. i trying out on some DC-15 and a EE1 also just moding a Mandolorina helmet at the moment.
    Several lavers of paint, washes and drybrushing. I use Painters Touch from Home Depot, then craft acrylics from AC Moore.
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Nov 29, 2011, 11:57 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #934

kevinericon said: View Post
    Seriously dude, compile a portfolio and send it to the prop companies. You will work on TV in no time.
    If that was directed to me (there's a lot of great work posted here in addition to my stuff), I really appreciate that, but I'm not sure what would be local to me in Clearwater Florida unfortunatly. If it was something I could do remotely like I do now, I'm definitely be interested

Airwolf said: View Post
    I have a resin Blade Runner pistol that I built years ago and when I painted the grips I used Testors Model Master Burnt Umber as a base color then covered that with Tamiya Clear Orange. It came out ok but not quite the look I was hoping for.
    The only versions I've done have had the transparent amber grips so O never had to try to replicate it. That would be a tough task

SqueekinOrka said: View Post
    Amazing looking guns. Never though Nerf guns could give you such a variety.

May have to try this when making the scorpia or ballista sniper rifle from global Agenda.
    I hope you will post the results when you're done!

Masterfett said: View Post
    how do you get the weathering, what paint do you use .. i trying out on some DC-15 and a EE1 also just moding a Mandolorina helmet at the moment

Those are very cool looking guns! I believe I've done a few of the Boba Fett rifles if that's the 3/4 scale verion. For the painting, I use a variety of techniques like drybrushing, washes, etc.. It's quite a lot by the end of most guns
  10. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Nov 30, 2011, 12:03 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #935

Here's a couple quick photos from yesterday. I've had to deal with a kidney stone for the past 3-4 days and although I've kept up a good pace, it has kept me from wanting to move a whole lot :/

First photo is a couple new resin kit builds. The Letmat was just sprayed with a basecoat to see where I need to smooth out some resin

The second photo here is just a few interior shots of the Element film prop. All the screw holes have been filled and I epoxied the two halves just after these bad photos. You can also see the pieces of rebar I hot-glued to the interior to add a little heft

From
    Seattle
    Nov 30, 2011, 12:50 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #936

Awesome thread, everyone. I finally made it to the end, and was so inspired, I decided to do some conversions that my kids will be enjoying this Christmas! (I originally posted this in my "random gun theatre" thread, but I had to share with fellow Nerf modders, so here we go

This of course is a converted Longshot, a Recon with a converted stock, and a converted Nite finder painted up with a sort of hard sci-fi military theme a la Aliens. I juggled the parts around for fun, since they finally all matched in color. The modular nature of the guns is pretty cool that way.

Here's the two main guns with their original parts configuration (aside from the conversion work, of course). Actually, the stock on the recon is from the Raider. Or was it one of those super soakers? The double mag is just two 6 shot mags with a zip strap to link them, plus some foam padding between them for friction.

For the Longshot, I removed the front grip and installed a cylinder instead. I also removed the bipod legs and replaced them with a Remington foregrip. I even installed a flashlight in there- because the button is on the back, you just push in to turn it on and off. I added a small set screw from the bottom to keep the flashlight in place.

The stock is also completely replaced with this scratch-built one, made from the bottom panel of a keyboard, some ABS plastic, cylinders cut from PVC pipe, and some black foam padding:

The Recon also got a modified stock. I cut down and rearranged the parts of the original stock, and added some tubing to give it more strength. I also added a cut down piece of floor mat for the rubber pad on the back.

Here's a shot of the core guns. The Nitefinder is pretty basic, I just cut down the silliest looking bits, and added disc shaped details (actually bases from old Heroclix figures, heh heh).

For paint, I sanded everything, primed with flat black, then masked and painted with satin olive (cheaper than the ultraflat camo paint, and almost as good looking), plus detail parts primed with bronze. To dull down and dirty up the guns, I used a mix of dark brown and black acrylic paint, stippled into the cracks and wiped / patted down with paper towels to remove the excess. Then to finish off, I used a silver Sharpie marker to stipple scratch marks on all the edges. A bit overboard, but it really pops out the details.

I might paint up an Alpha Trooper with the military scheme, since it can take the spare Recon stock (plus I already painted the drum from it). And of course, one of my Vulcans will be getting the military treatment at some point...

But the next scheme I'd like to try is a District 9 kind of feel, like:

Especially for the more sci-fi looking guns (Another Longshot, a Firefly, and whatever else I can find lying around). I'll try to incorporate more cool protruding metal details in those conversions.

=I=
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Nov 30, 2011, 12:48 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #937

Ironhand said: View Post
    Awesome thread, everyone. I finally made it to the end, and was so inspired, I decided to do some conversions that my kids will be enjoying this Christmas! (I originally posted this in my "random gun theatre" thread, but I had to share with fellow Nerf modders, so here we go

This of course is a converted Longshot, a Recon with a converted stock, and a converted Nite finder painted up with a sort of hard sci-fi military theme a la Aliens. I juggled the parts around for fun, since they finally all matched in color. The modular nature of the guns is pretty cool that way.

Here's the two main guns with their original parts configuration (aside from the conversion work, of course). Actually, the stock on the recon is from the Raider. Or was it one of those super soakers? The double mag is just two 6 shot mags with a zip strap to link them, plus some foam padding between them for friction.

For the Longshot, I removed the front grip and installed a cylinder instead. I also removed the bipod legs and replaced them with a Remington foregrip. I even installed a flashlight in there- because the button is on the back, you just push in to turn it on and off. I added a small set screw from the bottom to keep the flashlight in place.

The stock is also completely replaced with this scratch-built one, made from the bottom panel of a keyboard, some ABS plastic, cylinders cut from PVC pipe, and some black foam padding:

The Recon also got a modified stock. I cut down and rearranged the parts of the original stock, and added some tubing to give it more strength. I also added a cut down piece of floor mat for the rubber pad on the back.

Here's a shot of the core guns. The Nitefinder is pretty basic, I just cut down the silliest looking bits, and added disc shaped details (actually bases from old Heroclix figures, heh heh).

For paint, I sanded everything, primed with flat black, then masked and painted with satin olive (cheaper than the ultraflat camo paint, and almost as good looking), plus detail parts primed with bronze. To dull down and dirty up the guns, I used a mix of dark brown and black acrylic paint, stippled into the cracks and wiped / patted down with paper towels to remove the excess. Then to finish off, I used a silver Sharpie marker to stipple scratch marks on all the edges. A bit overboard, but it really pops out the details.

=I=
    Fantastic work and thanks for sharing the photos! I've done some D9 guns in the past and they do look great in that color. Good luck with them and feel free to share them here when you're ready!
    From
    North Wales
    Nov 30, 2011, 2:15 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #938

Attachment 76222

Well after being totally inspired by everyone's work so far, here's my modified Maverick. This is my first job and modding anything so go easy
  14. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Nov 30, 2011, 2:42 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #939

3jack said: View Post
    Attachment 76222

Well after being totally inspired by everyone's work so far, here's my modified Maverick. This is my first job and modding anything so go easy
    I don't allow flame posts here, but you have nothing to worry about, the gun looks great what did you do with the rest of the longstrike by the way?
    From
    North Wales
    Nov 30, 2011, 3:04 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #940

Cheers mate, coming from you it means a lot.

Erm, let's just say it's a work in progress Trying to figure out a cool stock for the longstrike, something about the original puts me off. Going to try to do it more as a blaster rather than a sniper rifle.
  16. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Dec 1, 2011, 11:53 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #941

Cheers mate, coming from you it means a lot.

Erm, let's just say it's a work in progress Trying to figure out a cool stock for the longstrike, something about the original puts me off. Going to try to do it more as a blaster rather than a sniper rifle.
    I like the idea and I hope it works out for ya. I was pondering that same thought recently and if I think of anything I'll be sure to post it up here for ya to use if you like it
  17. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Dec 1, 2011, 11:57 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #942

Here are the steel and bronze pistols all finished up. I realized this morning that I missed the screw in the handle of the bronze version and that will be fixed immediately

The Haloish Element is all done as well so I'll add a few photos of that too. All the screw holes were filled as were all the gaps created from shaving off the hook hanger on the grip as well as the plunger arm that came out the back

18. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    The Valley, CA
    Dec 1, 2011, 6:36 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #943

I'm digging all the mods on here.
    Each one another inspiration to finish up the one's I keep telling myself to do (doing a desert camo for a Longshot right now).

Open to everyone
    -I use a simple razor blade scraping for logo removal, so I'm a little stumped on how to remove the "Nerf" logo from the circle on the rear of the Nite Finder-at least without destroy the beveled edges. Any suggestions

Mr. J. Arms-
    I know that you don't speak of specifics on how you do what you do, (which I understand) but I have a general question or two

-You seem to work in bulk. How many mods are comfortable doing at once? And are they usually the same model at the same time?

And those Jayne and Mal pistols are killing me, I want so much!

*grabby hands*

I swear-photos of what little I've done are coming!
  19. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Dec 2, 2011, 4:15 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #944

Randy of AFTimes said: View Post
    -I use a simple razor blade scraping for logo removal, so I'm a little stumped on how to remove the "Nerf" logo from the circle on the rear of the Nite Finder-at least without destroy the beveled edges. Any suggestions
    I used a Dremel sanding drum to do mine. I didn't *love* how it came out, but I was also in a rush/using a clear Nite Finder (which makes it really hard to see what you've taken off), and I think with a little more time and care it would turn out much better.
    From
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Dec 2, 2011, 4:57 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #945

Attachment 76222

Nice job! It kind of has a Judge Dredd feel to it! (the Stallone one, not the real Dredd...sorry)

But damn fine work all the same!
    From
    North Wales
    Dec 2, 2011, 5:29 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #946

Darph Bobo said: View Post
    Nice job! It kind of has a Judge Dredd feel to it! (the Stallone one, not the real Dredd...sorry)

But damn fine work all the same!

Stallone Dredd? Hey I didn't think we allowed flaming in this thread

Has anyone painted a nitron up yet? Got a dilemma on whether to get a longshot or a nitron, its gonna be painted and used purely for looks, which one would people suggest out of those two?
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Dec 2, 2011, 8:20 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #947

Spifferiferfied said: View Post
    I used a Dremel sanding drum to do mine. I didn't *love* how it came out, but I was also in a rush/using a clear Nite Finder (which makes it really hard to see what you've taken off), and I think with a little more time and care it would turn out much better.

Just a thought; If you're working on a clear gun and need to level a surface, an old body-shop trick might help. Dust the area lightly with a satin or flat black spray paint. It'll dry quick and the black areas that remain after sanding give you a much better reference for how far you've gone/need to go. I mean, you're repainting the whole thing anyway, right?
    Last edited by SOTI; Dec 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
    Dec 2, 2011, 11:14 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #948

Vary nice work.
  24. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Dec 3, 2011, 11:53 PM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #949

SOTI said: View Post
    Just a thought; If you're working on a clear gun and need to level a surface, an old body-shop trick might help. Dust the area lightly with a satin or flat black spray paint. It'll dry quick and the black areas that remain after sanding give you a much better reference for how far you've gone/need to go. I mean, you're repainting the whole thing anyway, right?
    Yeah, I noticed that after I had started the painting. I would definitely do it that way next time.
    From
    NAS Jacksonville
    Dec 4, 2011, 1:15 AM - Re: Nerf Gun Props? YES! #950

I picked this up in 2000 when Titan AE hit theaters:

The reason I picked it up was that I was planning on making it more of a prop replica than a toy (much like the work being done here). Over 11 years later and it has been sitting in storage with no changes.

Anyhow, I put it up on Ebay and while it makes a good collectible as is, I would love to see someone here purchase it and give it a cool paint job. If interested, let me know and I can point you in the direction of the auction if needed.