Nerf Gun Props? YES!

I love the nerf stuff. I was eyeing the longshot sniper rifle the other day but 40.00 is a bit much right now. These look amazing.

Fantastic work JA, I've dabbled in these too. If you have a Goodwill Clearance Center near you they're the absolute best source I've found for base. Apparently the regular Goodwill stores won't carry any firearm related toys so they all end up in the clearance centers. In the last year I've picked up:

Longshot - $1 (missing the clip)
3 Mavericks - $1 each
Nite Finder - $1
Firefly - $1

tons of off-brand guns, and a giant laser tag gun for $2. Most of them are in near perfect condition except that they're missing the darts (which I don't use anyway). They have tons of fodder too. I'm probably going to do a barricade next or one of these:
Amazon.com: Buzz Bee Toys Hunter Bolt Action Rifle with Secret Storage: Toys & Games

Fantastic work JA, I've dabbled in these too. If you have a Goodwill Clearance Center near you they're the absolute best source I've found for base. Apparently the regular Goodwill stores won't carry any firearm related toys so they all end up in the clearance centers. In the last year I've picked up:

3 Mavericks - $1 each
Nite Finder - $1
Firefly - $1

tons of off-brand guns, and a giant laser tag gun for $2. Most of them are in near perfect condition except that they're missing the darts (which I don't use anyway). They have tons of fodder too. I'm probably going to do a barricade next or one of these:
Amazon.com: Buzz Bee Toys Hunter Bolt Action Rifle with Secret Storage: Toys & Games

The clearance center here is the main distribution center so they have all the good stuff and ship the crap to the local shops lol. if it wasn't an hour away i'd hit it up.

dude these are awesome! Ive seen some awesome steam punk ones before too which also look cool.

Hmm i think i have a few nerf guns laying about, might have to try this out!

I can't remember the specific branding, but there's that Kryon spray paint made especially for plastics that works like a dream as a base coat with no priming. I don't think I've ever had to do more than 2 coats of the black, and that was only because I sanded off the Nerf logos.

I can't remember the specific branding, but there's that Kryon spray paint made especially for plastics that works like a dream as a base coat with no priming. I don't think I've ever had to do more than 2 coats of the black, and that was only because I sanded off the Nerf logos.

krylon fusion

If you ever have any extra money, I would suggest investing in vinyl dyes. You can find them in the automotive paints at like, auto-zone or walmart. It's mostly for leather touch-ups, but it works really well for plastics. The dye actually "fuses" with the plastic, instead of layering on top of it.
Only problem is that it is more expensive and only comes in basic vinyl leather colors (primaries, tans, grays, and black).

"Here are a couple of longshots that I did.
The first one, I didn't really mod too much, however I did body fill every screw hole, and logo.
Sanded the heck out of the entire thing, and painted it.
The second one I had a lot of fun with.
I didn't worry too much about smooth surfaces as I wanted it to look really beat up.
Scott"

Great stuff! The last link didnt show, can you fix it so I can see it?

Great paint jobs! I especially like the last pic in your first thread that shows the effect from gas escaping the vents. Have you left the screw holes unfilled in order to reassemble after painting?

To be honest, the holes are usually left unfilled because a lot of the people buying them will take them apart to fit thicker springs, remove air restrictors, etc.. It's also more time consuming (as I found out on the Boba Fett blaster) so it reduces the number of guns I can do in a week and it hasn't been a real issue for most of the people buying them. I would always prefer to fill them and if the buyer wants it I just charge for the additional time spent and do it correctly (same goes for removing the nerf logos. I leave them on unless the person requests it. I really detest sanding down the logos!! heh)

Exceptional work! I've got a box full of guns (for the grandson of course!) waiting for the time to paint.
Could you do a tutorial on the weathering you do? It's kick-ass!!

That would be cool to do up a few of their guns. I had about 10 orders this year where the guns were going to be the main Christmas gifts for the recipient. That was the highest of compliments for me and I also have a 7 year old son who really digs them as well. It will make dying of lung poisioning worth while! :)

I will try to put together a video or something like that showing some of the techniques I've "found". I say that in quotes because I've only really been at this for about 6 months and I'm more or less self-taught. I do have an art background, but they never showed a class for "Nerf Painting 101" :)

If you ever have any extra money, I would suggest investing in vinyl dyes. You can find them in the automotive paints at like, auto-zone or walmart. It's mostly for leather touch-ups, but it works really well for plastics. The dye actually "fuses" with the plastic, instead of layering on top of it.
Only problem is that it is more expensive and only comes in basic vinyl leather colors (primaries, tans, grays, and black).

I appreciate the advice! I'll go have a look and see if I can handle the cost. I know I'll pick up some to play with, but depending on how much it is, I might not be able to recover the cost if I can't see an increase in price as a result. I will make a few, though, because you have me interested in this idea :) Thanks again!

This is my one from this thread.

nerfgun2.jpg

3 Mavericks - $1 each
Nite Finder - $1
Firefly - $1

Great tip! I do live pretty close to the main distribution center for GW in St Petersburg, FL. I've found a few nerf, but I also love all the little bits and pieces you can find in the back.

Make sure you post up your work when you get a chance!

I love the Nerf designs and I have seen a pile of great paints and mods over the past few years. I have a few WIPs but here is one I did as a cheapo Bat Grapple:
4286-batman-begins-grapple-gun-nerf-2.jpg

4285-batman-begins-grapple-gun-nerf-1.jpg

4287-batman-begins-grapple-gun-nerf-3.jpg

Thanks again to all the folks who posted and also the ones who just lurked by for the pictures :) It's appreciated! Here's a few more from tonight's photo shoot and maybe a few older ones if you guys can stomache it!

IMG_5702.jpg

New logo (1 of 2)
IMG_5701.jpg

New Logo (2 of 2) More favorite :)
IMG_5699.jpg

Nerf Recon with Stampede 18rd mag
IMG_5703.jpg

Another Triple-shot shotgun. Love the look of this one!
IMG_5707.jpg

One of the tiny nerf guns. This one shoots about 30-40 feet with the air restrictor removed! ;)
IMG_5714.jpg

Tommy 20 by Buzz Bee
IMG_4726.jpg

and sometimes I don't paint guns. I do other things...hehe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back