Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jan 23, 2011, 7:52 AM - ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #1

Hi all !!! this is the huge standing ADI Rod maquette cast from the real Movie Mold !!! only 3 casts excist.
    2 in finished form (one broken) and my raw cast !!!
    stands about 80cm tall !!! Not sure if i leave as is or finsih ???
    regards
    D.
  2. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jan 23, 2011, 8:18 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #2

Neither. You sell it to me for cheap.

Seriously, if you're not planning to finish it, I'd be interested in buying, though there is another member who is chasing one of these and could give you better money than I could. PM me if you want his details.

Where did you hear there were only three of these, though? I'm pretty sure there were more than three, unless this is a different cast...
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jan 23, 2011, 9:14 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #3

This piece come from Mr. Fasano himself !!! he scripted Alien 3 and got the finished Maquette as a gift !!! sadly it was broken from earthquake and finally a bad transport to overseas exhibition !!!
    he then got this last remaining cast from ADI/ Boss as replacement but never came to finishing it !!!
    There exiists too a much more undetailed cast made for the lisenced 1:3 maquette that was made a decade ago from TwentycenturyFOX and still can be found in the Net !!! I do own one of these too as well as the 1:3 newborn maquette. Sideshow used parts of these too and remodeled missing sections !!!
    luckily..this last complete legal copy its now mine !!!!LOL
    thanks
    D.
  4. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jan 23, 2011, 9:30 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #4

Woo! Nice. I missed the PiH bit in the title, d'oh.

It's certainly a nice piece with good provenance, then. To give a more serious answer to your question, don't leave it as is OR finish it...take moulds off it and sell some copies. I'd be your first customer.
  5. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2011, 10:18 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #5

Nice piece. Where did you get the queen that is on your props? Are these available? I see some molds behind it...

Nwerke said: View Post
    Woo! Nice. I missed the PiH bit in the title, d'oh.

It's certainly a nice piece with good provenance, then. To give a more serious answer to your question, don't leave it as is OR finish it...take moulds off it and sell some copies. I'd be your first customer.
    Last edited by BobFett; Jan 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Aug 13, 2011, 5:14 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #6

Is this different than the Burnett A3 maquette or are all these(ADI/Boss,burnett,sideshow) from the same molds?

I've seen different variations that all claim to be from the ADI molds,but some are in different posses.

Out of curiosity, are these solid molded pieces(not hollow) and what are they made of,polyresin?Did you get the tail with it.?
    Aug 13, 2011, 8:23 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #7

The close-up shot of the front of the head and the way the front teeth are set directly into the face without the lips/gumline. I haven't seen that before. Looks kind of weird. Am I missing something? (Hey, that question aside, what an AMAZING piece! So cool. Thanks for sharing.)
    Aug 15, 2011, 3:07 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #8

Something up with that head. Could this be one that wasn't used? Here's a pic of a Burnett

Aug 15, 2011, 5:36 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #9

Here's another burnett,customized.

and another

Then there is this incredible ADI cast reposed custom made by the same guy who also painted the Burnett one you posted.

and I believe Mr. Fasano with this cast,or maybe it's one of the rod puppets.

Aug 15, 2011, 6:03 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #10

arc60 said: View Post
    The close-up shot of the front of the head and the way the front teeth are set directly into the face without the lips/gumline. I haven't seen that before. Looks kind of weird. Am I missing something? (Hey, that question aside, what an AMAZING piece! So cool. Thanks for sharing.)

This is a picture of an actual A3 production head.It has more of a petruding lower jaw than the auction head and it has the teeth set directly in to head without the lips/gumline.

Here's another

The auction head looks a little different

11. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    the big wide world
    Aug 16, 2011, 5:05 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #11

Nice!

Casts would be a cool idea, expect you'd have a lot of interest.
  12. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Aug 29, 2011, 7:18 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #12

If I'm not mistaken, the gumline is added along with the clear dome - so it's absence wouldn't mean much.

Drudge, if there was a side view of the auction head we'd be able to comment on your assertion regarding the protruding lower jaw, but without one I can only say 'it looks about the same to me in 3/4'.

Were you involved in the production?

Clutch, yeah, that last was one of the rod puppets.

Just a note, the OP hasn't posted here since January. I don't get the impression he's interested in making casts available.

Lord I want one of these. :\
    Aug 29, 2011, 10:25 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #13

Here's a couple head shots of my casting. Yeah. No tongue. Always wanted one. Don't know where this casting originated from... bought it from a guy who
    painted this as a portfolio sample to try and get a job in the biz. He used a paint that changes tint as the viewing angle changes.
    Aug 29, 2011, 10:37 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #14

One more photo to give you an idea of the pose.
    Aug 29, 2011, 4:50 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #15

Here's a couple head shots of my casting. Yeah. No tongue. Always wanted one. Don't know where this casting originated from... bought it from a guy who
    painted this as a portfolio sample to try and get a job in the biz. He used a paint that changes tint as the viewing angle changes.
    Nice!

The paint that changes tint at different angles is interesting.

It looks like one of the Burnett maquettes.Those all seem to have the same upright pose.All the pictures of the Burnett pieces I've seen don't have the space(holes) between tendons on the mouth that you can see through to the inside of the mouth.They are just a solid cast that's painted instead.All the pictures of the supposed ADI casts that I have seen do have the spaces in the tendons.

Do you know if it's made of fiberglass resin?
    Last edited by Drudge; Aug 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM.
    Aug 29, 2011, 5:09 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #16

Thanks. The head lifts off along the neck. It's a creme colored resin. BTW, the photo of Fasano posing with his Alien rod puppet. The color scheme looks so much darker... grays instead of the lighter browns... is it just the lighting in the photo? Or do the rod puppets have a darker paint scheme?
    Aug 29, 2011, 6:34 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #17

Thanks. The head lifts off along the neck. It's a creme colored resin. BTW, the photo of Fasano posing with his Alien rod puppet. The color scheme looks so much darker... grays instead of the lighter browns... is it just the lighting in the photo? Or do the rod puppets have a darker paint scheme?
    The rod puppet looks a little different in shots that I have seen. It's a combination of both lighting and paint.I don't know why the one he is holding looks more grey.

Here are pic's of the rod puppet when it was on display

A picture from the Bandai A3 making of book

Another combination of shots from the Bandai book

A production shot

And then one from the film

Aug 29, 2011, 9:48 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #18

Wow. Thanks! Yeah, it's the lighting, I guess. The new pics certainly sync up with other, more "almond brown" hued photos. I just sold that Bandai book a few months ago. Nice book! This rod puppet is absolutely GORGEOUS! The detail and the paint jobs are just astounding. Did the ALIEN ever look better in any other film? I'm not sure it did.
    Aug 30, 2011, 2:37 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #19

Wow. Thanks! Yeah, it's the lighting, I guess. The new pics certainly sync up with other, more "almond brown" hued photos. I just sold that Bandai book a few months ago. Nice book! This rod puppet is absolutely GORGEOUS! The detail and the paint jobs are just astounding. Did the ALIEN ever look better in any other film? I'm not sure it did.
    I wish I would have known you had the Bandai book I would have made you an offer.I can't find that thing anywhere.

Yes,the rod puppet is awesome!The A3 alien is the best design in my opinion.
    Aug 30, 2011, 5:29 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #20

Hey arc60,

Do you know if your maquette has an inner skull?Does it have the clear dome that you can see the skull detail inside or is the head all one molded piece?

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of the Burnett maquette where I could see it.
  21. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Aug 31, 2011, 2:24 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #21

Ah, I had two copies. Gave one to a friend a few months ago. Nice book.

IIRC there was more than one puppet. The 'greyer' colours on that one pic are the ones I prefer, but I'm probably alone there!

The production used a lot of gels and lighting which made the creature look more yellow/brown, but it's a really muted rust/brown in reality. I have a suspicion that a lot of buildup paint schemes are influenced by the ADI 1:1 fibreglass display version, which they pulled from their suit (?) moulds. It received a very detailed airbrushed paint scheme with a lot of gloss clearcoat, and looks like it was a lot lighter in colour than the puppets or screen-used suits.
    Aug 31, 2011, 5:32 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #22

Man,it looks like I lucked out twice on the book!

Any idea what these sell for when they can be found?I'd like to get my hands on one.

I never knew there was more than one rod puppet used,but I imagine they were back-ups in case of wear and tear/damage.

When it comes to the ADI 1:1 display version are you talking about this?

23. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Sep 1, 2011, 7:43 AM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #23

Nope, that's an Alien 4 unit (flattened rear of head, different feet and tail, has back tubes like the Big Chap and Aliens versions). The ADI buildup was crouched - it's the one on the cover of the little Japanese book, in fact. Pretty much the same colour scheme though.
  24. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Sep 1, 2011, 12:01 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #24

Some more on colours: the big cable-control "adolescent" torso/head/arms puppet was very yellow/beige, very much like Clutch's Burnett pic above. However I think this might have been intended as an intermediate stage between the pale colours of the burster and the darker adult colours.

Having had a good look at the book tonight I kinda wonder if the shot of the crouched 1/3 scale with Fasano might more accurately show its real, greyer colours: most of the other shots showing the really strong rust colours are shot under filming conditions i.e. a lot of lighting going on. It's pretty brown in the display pics, if that's the same piece. Either way, there is a lot of grey on the puppets. And yeah; no idea how many armatures were made but a lot of skins were run.

The 1:1 suits weren't seen much, but are pretty much grey with beige highlights.
    Last edited by Nwerke; Sep 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Sep 1, 2011, 5:53 PM - Re: ADI /BOSS Film Alien 3 Rod Puppet Maquette raw cast from PiH auction #25

Nwerke said: View Post
    Nope, that's an Alien 4 unit (flattened rear of head, different feet and tail, has back tubes like the Big Chap and Aliens versions). The ADI buildup was crouched - it's the one on the cover of the little Japanese book, in fact. Pretty much the same colour scheme though.
    Yeah,I've seen a video tour of ADI where someone claimed it was the A3 fullsize cast.Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the one you were referring too.

I think this pic(below)maybe of the one your talking about.If it is, I never realized it was fullsize,I just assumed it was another maquette.Isn't that the one used for the Cinefex cover? I've never seen it in any of the pics/videos tours of the ADI showroom...interesting.

Actually,the more closer I look at the Fasano pic myself,I really think it's the lighting that makes it look greyer.Plus the whole picture seems to have a grey fuzziness about it. The lighter colored areas could be beige/brownish and the darker areas the black over/under tones.

I watched the visual effects(optical fury) part of the DVD again showing the rod puppet and it definitely looks like the beige/brownish color, not grey.I don't know if the puppet was fully painted and finished in those videos though.

Do you have any pics of the puppet in the grey color scheme?I've never seen any that I can remember.

Nice discussion by the way,it's nice to talk to others knowledgeable on the subject.I really like learning more about these pieces.