Help, Vader Tie panels (Koolshade)

TCSloan

Im not really sure what its called on Vaders Tie Fighter (& Tie Bombers) , but the panels ,refered to as Koolshade on Tie Fighters. Im trying to scratch build a wing (Hasbro Toy size) , but I cant seem to find anyway to replicate that durn panel pattern. :confused any ideas on what I could use? anyone tried it?

They weren't Koolshade at all on Vader's ship. I believe they came from a transparent cover for fluorescent lights, the pattern of which may be discontinued.

Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

From the pics I've seen of Vader's TIE, it almost looks like square window screen to me.

Plastruct has patterned styrene sheets with square recesses in different sizes. There may be something that would work.

I have the ck vaders tie studio scale as well as a ton of ref pix. It's the plastruct mesh not the light diffuser.

Last edited:
... Rob, I did look at the Plastruct and Evergreen , they have the raised tile pattern, but the Tie has raised mesh pattern.

I'm sorry but I'm all out of 2x4s. However I have some 4x2s, you can just turn 'em over.

They're raised tiles on one side, and raised mesh on the other :)

From what I have seen here they are neither mesh or diamond. I think I am correct in saying that on both sides the shape of the pattern is square and sink inwards in the shape of a pyriamd.

It is the same pattern that is replicated on the AMT/MPC kit.

That's mesh , no pyramid, dimple, just straight forward mesh. It is a plastruct product. I will post pix later.

Its not a mesh at all, look at it in the angled view, its dimpled, same as the light diffuser.
Mesh wasnt used on the X1, and it only came to common knowledge the Interceptor, used the Plastruct product not very long ago.

lee

I agree lee it looks dimpled , but only because the horizontals are not flat. They have angled sides So they taper in like a pyramid/dimple where as the verticles are flat .I'll post some pix when I get in. If I am wrong I will humbly bow down to master Lee.

Hah, im no master at all, i get a lot wrong. I just dont feel this is the same media used on the ROTJ TIE, looks TOO dimpled, leading me to still feel, its lenticular shade.....look forward your pics though Simon.
Thats whats great about this place, were all striving to move forward, and get it right.
Still needing a studio X1 though.....wasnt Steve working on one, cant say i care for the current offerings.

lee

I'll get the pix up when I get home. I hope Steve does get around to doing one. I have the Chris Kelly version which isn'd bad sizewise but I am taking the dremmel to the detailing. Lucky I have one of steves ties for comparison.

From what I have seen here they are neither mesh or diamond. I think I am correct in saying that on both sides the shape of the pattern is square and sink inwards in the shape of a pyriamd.

It is the same pattern that is replicated on the AMT/MPC kit.

I too thought they were a sunken pyramid shape, which you can see the 'V" pattern in some of the closeups in those pics.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back