Luke ANH lightsaber Graflex or Folmer Graflex??

Tarkin

Hello everyone,

I just have a quick question. Which is the correct Graflex 3-cell flash to get for a screen accurate Luke Skywalker lightsaber from A New Hope?? Is it the Graflex that says that it was manufactuered by Graflex inc. on the bottom of the flash or is it the one that says Folmer Graflex Corp.?? Please feel free to post. Thanks!

Hi Tarkin,

The only observation I have made was that the so-called Toe-pic :

Episode_4_LukesToePic.jpg

has a narrow-looking edge on the bottom. Since I own a "Made by The Folmer Graflex Corp." with a narrow edge
as well as "Manufactured by Graflex, Inc." with a slightly bigger edge I decided to make the "Made by ... Corp."
into a Luke ANH lightsaber :

D-RingClip_00013.jpg

Others have used the "Manufactured ... Inc." Also since so many flashguns have been made over the years there's
no real evidence which were screen-used and perhaps even both types were used either being the Hero version or
a Stunt version, who knows?

Graflex02.jpg

Graflex01.jpg

And then there are at least 2 more types to my knowledge that even have no numbers on the bottom :love

GraflexMadeby01.jpg

GraflexMB01.jpg

-Chaim

Last edited:
I understand that Folmer Graflex-es have three horizontal lines or bands wrapping all the way around near the "emitter" end?

Hi Jm419,

Not as a rule of thumb. Mine does not!

However the one without the number as seen here does have 6 horizontal lines near the emitter :

GraflexMB02.jpg

Also some bottom parts may have been swapped through the years when being used, of course!

-Chaim

Last edited:
Hi Jm419,

Not as a rule of thumb. Mine does not!

However the one without the number as seen here does have 6 horizontal lines near the emitter :

GraflexMB02.jpg

Also some bottom parts may have been swapped through the years when being used, of course!

-Chaim

Huh, look at that. The mechanism behind the "red button" below the "bunny ears" is completely different than on my Graflex; I don't believe mine folds like that at all.

Chaim,
So do you recommend I look out for a Graflex flash that has the Made By Fomer Graflex Corp. on the bottom with the patent number because the size difference of it matches the real prop we see in the toe pic?

Hi Tarkin,

I did not intentionally waited for a correct Graflex to come up for auction. When I purchased mine I had no knowledge whatsoever of all the differences and I only made sure that it had a prestine looking body and clamp and not too much rust. That's all folks! :lol
After I purchased a second graflex flashgun I noticed the difference in text on the bottom and subtle differences on the red button and the connector pins.
Then I noticed that the picture of the ESB D-ring on The Parts of Star Wars website used the "Manufactured ... " and thus I decided to keep that one for the ESB version. Over a long time I really noticed the smaller edge on the bottom of the 'Toe-Pic' and was pleased that I had decided to use the "Made by Folmer ... " version for the ANH version. :)

And even I made a mistake when I purchased an already finished ESB online thinking it to be a genuine Graflex since it had a spring inside . . . when it arrived it was too clean and the red buttons too red so it didn't take me long to figure out that is was an excellent replica graflex. :$
I still have it and my original "Manufactured" graflex flashgun is still unaltered so I can use it on my 4x5" Speed Graphic Camera :love

So get the graflex flashgun you like to convert into a lightsaber prop and join us by becoming a jedi knight.

-Chaim

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back