Underworld lycan WIP. A NEW START PAGE:5.

Anubis

Hi guys, I know this one has probably been done to death by now, but I also had the daft idea to build a replica of the Lycan (Werewolf) costume seen in the Underworld trilogy, with full working jaw, ears and have red dot LED's which will sit behind black lenses for the eyes. I'll be buying a set of Digitgrade or dog leg stilts as they are more commonly called, as these are a major headache to build and is too time consuming. These stilts will give me the correct height, look and stance and walking is a lot easier in these things too!! The feet or pads will be made by myself with resin cast claws in the toes. The overall body of the costume will be based on a neoprene wetsuit which will be modified (butchered) in some areas to give it more flexablity and to also aid in the anti sweat department, this will then be covered in a light foam muscle structure and then latexed and then for the hardest bit, the hair! I have already sourced this on Ebay, I have decided to use the off black fibre as jet black wouldn't look right for this guy. It isn't going to be an easy project build, but hopefully when it's finished I'll have one hell of a werewolf costume to go scare peeps with at events!

Alrighty then, Firstly I started with the skull for the Lycan which again, me being me used good ole cardboard for the main structure, then applied a resin coat and then two layers of bandage ( everyday first aid item ), the bandage is better in my opinion to obtain more of a curve on somes areas than with glass mat.I then gave it another resin coat before a final layer of glass matting. Once I have finshed of the skull and lower jaw I'll be using resin teeth and jaw sections cast from the skull of an actual Grey Wolf and made by a guy in the States which I ordered on Saturday, these in turn will be grafted on to the skull which will give the Lycan a more realistic snarl when the jaws are opened and again will save time on the project.

The resin cast Grey Wolf jaws.....

15992561c01.jpg

15992571511.jpg

1599259ed01.jpg

The Jaws will open and close via my own jaw movement and return springs fitted to the Lycans skull and lower jaw. The ears will be on a pivot system and they in turn will connected to the lower jaw again using cables and return springs, so when I open my mouth the Lycans jaws will open and the ears will go back as to display rage. I Also intend to make the upper lip on the Lycans skull rise and fall as to imitate a snarl and will be done in such a way to work with the jaw and ear movement, thus making this dude have one hell of a natural or in this case an evil look to him when he snarls!! The skull once defined will then be covered in Dragonskin latex, coloured, then the hairs put into it.

Anyway a couple of shots of where the skull is at the minute and before he gets his gnashers put in.....

This is how he began before I started on some of the detail work on the skull and took a couple of hours to get to this stage of the skull... it's still a long way off from being finished or where I will be happy with it and it still needs more detail and trimming etc..........
DSC00295.jpg

And after about another hour and a halfs work on some of the detailing, trimming etc.... Still a long ways to go yet!
DSC00298.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

Having a quick chew on a sanding block......
DSC00300.jpg

I'm ready for my close up Mr Demille!
DSC00299.jpg

I haven't gone too indepth as I'd be writing this all night, but I'll post up pic's and info as it comes along guys and gals. I hope you like this idea and please feel free to add any input, ideas, remarks etc that you may have and thanks for reading this thread!

Paul.

Last edited:
Re: My Underworld lycon WIP.

Wow, that's off to a great start! How tall do you think it will when completed?

Hi buddy, well I am 6ft 2' and the digitgrade stilts measure around another 14 inches in length, the feet will be around another three to four inches to add to the height, so I should stand around the 7ft 6' mark, give or take an inch or two?!

Thanks guys for the great comments on my project/idea guys. I'm just working on the ears at present and should be done later today, as and when they are I'll post up pics and an update later tonight. Think once the teeth arrive and are grafted into place it'll give me a better idea on how the skull will turn out. I am going to concentrate on the head section first, get that completed then move onto the neck and body sections, working my way through/down the costume.Still not 100% sure on how to do the leg section latex work/how to cover up the digitgrade stilts on the costume?, any help, tips or ideas would be great on this one guys!

i think you mean lycan, rather than lycon, but this build is doing awesome, can't wait to see more!

Re: My Underworld lycan WIP.

Just a small update guys, Completed the basic ear shape which I am happy with, all that I have to do now is fix the foam to them aswell as to parts of the skull that hold the fur. Think I may need stronger springs for the ears to return to the upright position as they don't return quick enough. I added a couple of photo's of the basic ears as they are at the minute before I start adding the foam. I also gave it another resin coat adding some black colourant to the resin to see how it looks and it also shows up more detail in the flesh so to speak, showing up any areas that I need to work on etc. I did a little more refining on the nose, only slightly on the nostrils,think it looks better? It still has a way to go, IE with the trimming, profiling, lower jaw, eye sockets etc. The skull looks a bit rough at present until I really start getting into it, hopefully it'll start looking better the more time I spend on it, as at the moment it looks a damn mess!!

Apologises on the photo quality, crappy camera!!!!

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

It's not much of an update of sorts, just waiting for materials to arrive then I'll be on it properly.

Last edited:
Re: Underworld lycan WIP.

After looking over the internet and finding nothing really clear, can anyone please supply good, clear photo's of the back of the Lycan for my project build??

Many thanks in advance.

Actually, I don't think I've seen a replica Lycan costume from Underworld yet, just a really nice mass produced mask from many years ago, that's about it. I love the progress pics so far, and I'll be anxiously awaiting more progress pics, keep up the good work!

Judging by that side shot mccordia posted, do you think your ear sculpt is too long?

I did notice the ears are a bit on the long side Mr Fett and thank you Sir for noticing it aswell. There are a couple of areas where I need to concentrate on, ie the ears, cheeks, eye sockets, also the ears are too far back and too high on the skull and need to be bought forward about an inch or so, they also need to be lowered around an inch judging by the photo kindly supplied by mccordia.

mccordia: thank you Sir for the great side shot of the Lycan, this will help me so much!!

Still looking for a photo of the back of the Lycan if anyone has one they could post up??

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back