$20 Reward For Info on GH Gas Gun

PepMaster

Sr Member
I am giving out a reward to the first person who can identify the parts of this gun, so far for the gas cartridge it's a CO2 cartridge, and for the handle I believe it was molded (not sure) as well as the tip for the gun or the tip of the gun could be the tip off a toy gun. As for the rest of the parts that's where I'm stuck at right now. As you can tell the pipe is definatly something that could be found at a hardware store, and it seems like I have seen the parts of the main body at various places but I'm not sure where to begin looking. Also I'm completly not sure about the trigger or the parts above the gas cartidge. First person who can identify the parts of the gun I'll send them a PM to get the Paypal address from them to send $20 to their paypal if they identify the parts correctly.
Here are two pictures for reference.
adjlau.jpg

359n1b6.jpg

The curved pipe looks like PVC that was heated and bent, not a factory molded U-shape.

The grip looks like it came off a toy gun. Trigger looks machined.
That screw above the cartridge before reminds me of a gas injection needle on a GC/MS machine. Possibly an airsoft or other gas management part.

Prop makers on higher-end films have access to machine shops and can fabricate parts based on concept drawings. I think it's a bit of a mistake to imagine that every prop is built from "found" parts.
It's hard to believe but, when a film like STAR WARS was made, the prop crew were working with a relatively limited budget and had to scrounge for their props. Fortunately that technique worked perfectly with the design esthetic of the film. Long ago, far, far away, I worked on projects where we were literally dumpster-diving for parts for our props. Sometimes a coat of Krylon Ultraflat Black and a blinking LED was enough to turn some discarded cash register part into something alien and threatening. But that was when we had zero money left in our budget, and cameras were rolling in one hour.
However - during preproduction on most movies that have more than poverty row budgets, lots of sketches and designs are submitted for approval from the art department, director, etc... and they go through design mods (sometimes endlessly frustrating tweaks as well as total re-dos) until they're finally approved... then a shop will fabricate the piece to match the drawing. Sometimes 3D models are built and tweaked for approval, then prototyped, then molds are made to cast up multiples.
Most of the time concept artists aren't designing pieces to be made from found items, we're making something that looks cool and fits the design esthetic of the film (or the sometimes mystifying whims of a "visionary" director).
I'm not positive, but I'm thinking that aside from the co2 cartridge, machine screws, small hardware, etc.. the pieces of this GH gas gun prop look like they were machined and sculpted from scratch.

IMO there is a 99% probability the grips are from a paintball marker/gun due to the 3 on the grip 2 on the trigger finger design...

The paintball grip for the handle is what I was thinking as well, but a lot of the parts of it look familiar and I know for a fact I've seen the parts of the pipe at hardware places before, the base of the gun looks familiar like I said but not sure. The gun really looks like it was scratchbuilt to me.

I may have to use a little sculpting on pieces if parts cannot be found, never been good at sculpting I think but it's worth a try. The slot at the top of the base for the gun looks like something was there at one time like a switch of some sort maybe but who knows.

Hmm I think I might be able to take off the grip on that toy gun, use the grip from the pepper gun YP1 posted if I can find it for cheap on the net, add the metal trigger from the gun that Gorgot posted, add a green CO2 cartridge, and that might be passable.

Prop makers on higher-end films have access to machine shops and can fabricate parts based on concept drawings. I think it's a bit of a mistake to imagine that every prop is built from "found" parts.
It's hard to believe but, when a film like STAR WARS was made, the prop crew were working with a relatively limited budget and had to scrounge for their props. Fortunately that technique worked perfectly with the design esthetic of the film. Long ago, far, far away, I worked on projects where we were literally dumpster-diving for parts for our props. Sometimes a coat of Krylon Ultraflat Black and a blinking LED was enough to turn some discarded cash register part into something alien and threatening. But that was when we had zero money left in our budget, and cameras were rolling in one hour.
However - during preproduction on most movies that have more than poverty row budgets, lots of sketches and designs are submitted for approval from the art department, director, etc... and they go through design mods (sometimes endlessly frustrating tweaks as well as total re-dos) until they're finally approved... then a shop will fabricate the piece to match the drawing. Sometimes 3D models are built and tweaked for approval, then prototyped, then molds are made to cast up multiples.
Most of the time concept artists aren't designing pieces to be made from found items, we're making something that looks cool and fits the design esthetic of the film (or the sometimes mystifying whims of a "visionary" director).
I'm not positive, but I'm thinking that aside from the co2 cartridge, machine screws, small hardware, etc.. the pieces of this GH gas gun prop look like they were machined and sculpted from scratch.

I have to agree with this view.

I too worked for a prop company and we made the big baby guns, Bat guns, Lara Crofts guns etc.... and all were scratch built from blueprints from the art department of the production company. Occasionally parts are sourced from already made pieces but it rarely happens these days. There is always someone available to sculpt parts from scratch.

Apologies for sounding like the voice of reason in this thread, but why not just buy the licensed one?
It looks pretty decent, is accurate, and best of all... it's DONE. no research necessary! For 150 bucks, you can save yourself weekends of searching and building a prop that you'll probably never finish anyway. Just plunk down the bucks, and you can have it on your shelf in a few weeks.

Crazy talk?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back