$20 Reward For Info on GH Gas Gun

Apologies for sounding like the voice of reason in this thread, but why not just buy the licensed one?
It looks pretty decent, is accurate, and best of all... it's DONE. no research necessary! For 150 bucks, you can save yourself weekends of searching and building a prop that you'll probably never finish anyway. Just plunk down the bucks, and you can have it on your shelf in a few weeks.

Crazy talk?

Not crazy talk to me. Seems pretty nice:

THE GREEN HORNET GAS GUN

Qft ;)

apologies for sounding like the voice of reason in this thread, but why not just buy the licensed one?
It looks pretty decent, is accurate, and best of all... It's done. No research necessary! For 150 bucks, you can save yourself weekends of searching and building a prop that you'll probably never finish anyway. Just plunk down the bucks, and you can have it on your shelf in a few weeks.

Crazy talk?

Not that I'm saying the gun is made from found items, but if it WERE, my first guess for the body would be a door lock assembly, kinda like this:

doorlocks1bwc17s250x250.jpg

or this:

doorlocks1bwc19s250x250.jpg

Apologies for sounding like the voice of reason in this thread, but why not just buy the licensed one?

Is that what you call a voice of reason? I thought the foundations of the RPF was to research, explore, identify and build replica props? I guess those days are over and the forum is now supposed to be a "Look what I purchased, it's identical to the other 1001 made in China ones" isn't it groovy?

The licensed one is a nice looking item and the price is great but honestly bagging on someone trying to identify found parts, and scratch build on the RPF? Honestly?

There are builders and there are buyers... Time to retire to the fawning banter of the OT if the fun of actually creating something yourself is gone...

There are builders and there are buyers... Time to retire to the fawning banter of the OT if the fun of actually creating something yourself is gone...

Easy there bro. power down the disruptors. :lol

The first part identified for the gun, the grip, runs for over 200 bucks. My suggestion was meant as a budget minded alternative to what looks to be an expensive parts collection process.

Nowhere in my post was I attempting to call for an end to the search for found parts, or building props. I was just trying to be helpful.

Maybe I should put an end to THAT, as it seems to only serve to upset members such as yourself ;)

It looks pretty decent, is accurate, and best of all... it's DONE. no research necessary! For 150 bucks, you can save yourself weekends of searching and building a prop that you'll probably never finish anyway. Just plunk down the bucks, and you can have it on your shelf in a few weeks.

Crazy talk?

I have an answer. I would rather pay $400 for this by sourcing parts then give another penny to HCG. I'm suprised they're GHG doesn't have barrel droop.

The pipe appears to be over the counter copper... Or possible salvaged from a condensing or cooling coil...

A 180° elbow and a straight section of 1/2" copper seems likely...

180%C2%B0Elbow.jpg

Prop makers on higher-end films have access to machine shops and can fabricate parts based on concept drawings. I think it's a bit of a mistake to imagine that every prop is built from "found" parts.

And regardless of the equipment and resources at your disposal sometimes it's easier to simply not re-invent the wheel when over the counter stuff will suffice...

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking that aside from the co2 cartridge, machine screws, small hardware, etc.. the pieces of this GH gas gun prop look like they were machined and sculpted from scratch.

IMO I beg to differ, the grip has all but been identified as a found item, the CO² cartridge almost certainly found, the pipes likely found, in regards to the selector and trigger IMO likely found... I would hazard a guess that the turn screw thing up front as being a found part as well, possible an adjustable regulator or even the 'trigger' needle valve out of the gun the grips or trigger itself came from... As for the body, that could be a toss up really hard to say, it could be scratch built or it could be surplus off some equipment...

I have no plans to buy or make any version of this, but there is a whole lot of fun in finding the source parts for props. I like the hobby/puzzle aspect of this stuff a little more than the material aspect of just collecting the stuff (not to mention it can be a little cheaper). The more you know about a prop too, the more interesting it is, and less likely down the road it will just be another dust collector that means nothing to you anymore. IMHO

Isn't it kind of a thread derail to post that nobody should care what makes the prop up, even if they aren't the ones making any money off the prop? I do understand that maybe this was to prevent the direction of it going toward making an unlicensed run of the prop afterward. In that case I wholeheartedly support buying what looks like a really well done licensed version for a very affordable price. But, what is the harm in trying to figure this trivial stuff out? Does it somehow ruin the illusion for some people? ....Maybe?:confused That is a good counterpoint. Still, I think all this is topic for another thread, not this one. My two cents worth. :D

...and back to topic, does anybody have any good pics of the other side of the gun?

Andy

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back