Death Eater costume help... And then build.

Robert412

I was wondering if anyone has any screenshots of deatheater footwear?

I'm leaning more towards OotP, but GoF pics are just as welcome! Also, any deatheater screen shots will be helpful in the future, as well, sooo bring 'em on!

I plan on building this costume from begining to end, except for footwear and underwear... I'll just use my own undies.

r

Feel free to have a look at my Death Eater reference library (this is is specific for OotP):
Reference Library - Death Eaters (OoTP) - a set on Flickr

The boots will vary from character to character so it depends on who you're wanting to do.

The following pics will probably be the most relevant (some of them you should be able to see in higher res):
Boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Exhibition Costumes (Note: These aren't always the same as the screen costumes so use with caution)
Voldemort exhibition costume | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Boot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I found this boot online which was apparently available at TopShop years ago but when I got in touch with them to see if they had any more info about the make/model/supplier, etc they didn't unfortunately. Same as it would have been idea for generic ones, and a great place to start for modding for versions to match Lucius'
Topshop boot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've started putting together one for the DH DE's too and there's some boot pics in there too:
Generic Death Eaters - Deathly Hallows - a set on Flickr

However be especially careful with this one. Some of them just seem to be wearing black trainers with Gaiters. I'd be very doubtful if thats what they actually wore in the film.

They use stand in actors/bods for promo stuff (rather than people who were necessarily in the film), so what I expect happened is that the ones you see wearing boots just happened to fit the boots they had for the costumes. For the ones wearing trainers, I expect they didn't have any boots to fit, and so (given that they were only needing to wear them for a few hours, and it was unlikely anyone would notice) they were probably told just to wear black trainers as the bulk is covered by the gaiter anyway. (That's just a theory though! lol)

Last edited:
@ Robert - that link doesn't seem to work for me (dont know if anyone else can see it?)
IT's actually s link to your flikr photostream. It's the boots that you can't find anymore. They are awesome! Malfoy's boots, I think. Have you found a substitute?

Ah, it's cause you used the mobile link I suspect then. Just in case anyone else wants a gander, use this link:
Topshop boot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yeah they were lovely boots and would have been spot on. No, sadly once TopShop said they didn't have the info it kind of cut off that particular avenue as a deadend.

I would have carried on (and probably did at the time) trying to find a solution, but I ended up switching to do Voldemort in the end so didnt come up with a solution in the end. I dont mind having another look around though if you need a hand. I'll let you know if I find anything. How accurate to you want?

I'm not going for Lucious, exactly.

I was thinking,"what would I wear if it was 1997, and I was a working class wizard from a pureblood family. I'm 30 years old, so I was only a teen when the dark lord fell. I am eager to serve in whatever capacity I can."

now, HWMNBN only let his inner circle have the dark mark, but on occasion, let others wear the robes of a death eater, as long as they were useful. Greyback, for example, wore the robes, but continued to wear his hobnail boots. He also had no dark mark.

So, the playing field is kinda open, isn't it!

In short, the right look and feel for this is more important than absolute screen accuracy.

Thanks,

r

I finished the mask. I have it's build in it's own thread, but here it is.

a6890d88-190b-8a1f.jpg

Tonight, I will begin the wand. I have a couple for reference-S. Black and H. Granger. I also have the newest noble collection catalog.

I am making a custom wand for several reasons. I don't feel it would be right to use black's or granger's wand for this, I'm lighting it with fiber optics (with swish and flick activation), and so o can then start on the belt/sheath for said custom wand.

I've found someone who will do the machine embroidery on the tunic. Anyone have a file of the the swirly patern?

Still looking for boots. Really considering buying a pair of comfortable boots and modding them.

Any solution for pants?

And last, the cloak...

I've found someone who will do the machine embroidery on the tunic. Anyone have a file of the the swirly patern?
Check my reference library links above. I'm not sure if they'll be good enough for them to be used as a template for the machine but there's certainly a few in there which may help.

The key is that you don't necessarily want them looking too pristine, so it doesn't matter if they're not precisely the same (in fact, that would probably look too immaculate so would look odd)

The quality of the robes reflected the wealth and status of the individual death eater, so if you're going for a generic one, done be afraid to tone down the amount of embroidery.

Also, the originals we're a mix of drawn on, and sewn swirls so you may want to try to replicate that.

Lastly, in the costume drama you can see they actually break down and damage some of the threads to give them a "worn" look, so you may want to try that as well (although try somewhere discreet first of all in case you end up unravelling it all! lol)

Kessa, you have been incredibly helpful on this build. It's like you totally get what I'm going for before I've voiced it!

Nice!

R

Kessa, I've dug through all 76 pages of your reference pics. I'm looking for a close image of the wand belt and holsters. I prefer the non Lucious ones. I like the big O ring ones, like on the death eater behind Lucious in the death chamber when he drops the prophecy.

I know I've seen pics, but now I can't find them. Any ideas?

I think one of the best potential resources will be Deathly Hallows screengrabs once it comes out on DVD as that's going to have loads in the next film, but I'm guessing you want to have it done by then

I'll have a hunt and see if I can find anything.

Edit:

In my Death Eater ref library, did you happen to see this one (and the ones near it):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32012750@N08/3081597483/in/set-72157609476507790/

It's interesting as it looks like Bella and all of the generic DE's seem to have a "Y" style wand holster. Bella's is a bit more intricate (as you'd expect) - the one above is very simple looking for example, but they all do seem to have 2 straps leading in a Y shape down to the main wand holder.

Also, they all seem to be located on the wearer's Left hand side. This also makes sense if you use the assumption they're right handed (in reality, it depend what you are on what will work for you)

Here's an example from the Deathly Hallows premiere (see DE on the left) which shows the angle of the holder almost seems to have rotated 45 degrees... maybe to allow for quicker and swifter removal than the previous "straight up" design?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32012750@N08/5326828775/in/set-72157625628677675/

That seems to be backed up by this one I've just found:
http://www.mandbt.co.uk/blog/wp-con...Harry-Potter-Premiere-The-Deathly-Hallows.jpg

.. and this one:
http://photos.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/101112nippotter6--128955799589391900.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, just found a cracker! (I've added it to my Deathly Hallows ref library)

Interestingly this one shows a bit more of the new style wand holster, and if this is anything to go by then it's not the "Y" style, but almost a "W" style (i.e 3 connecting straps) ....

Wand Holster | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That last one is it!!! Thanks!!!

Any idea on leather working threads. Ive searched "leather," "belt," "wand," "holster," and any combination on those words. I can find very little. The most helpful was a Luke ANH belt, and it wasn't much.

@Kessa - I'm making about 8 death eater costumes for the premiere in July and I want to thank you sooooooooooooo much for posting these pics. I'm HORRIBLE at googling and you have just saved me a whole lot of time, and I appreciate it SO much.

I was following your voldemort mask on another thread, and it looks absolutely fantastic btw

Thanks again :) <3 Shay

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back