How do you paint Aluminum?

jrschmd

Hello I'm working on a lightsaber and having problems with getting the paint to stick to the aluminum. I've sanded it, washed it and primed it first but still it flakes of easily. I know powder coating is the best option but I don't have that option available. Thanks for the help.

Well after cleaning the surface, you want to use an etch primer. This will bite into the bare metal, and give your following coats of paint something to stick to. I could tell you about special cleaners and such for the aluminum, but for your application a spray can etch primer should work fine.
(shameless plug!) if you can find a Dupont automotive sales supplier, I would suggest part# A-4119S Self etching primer black.
you can get it in green as well, but the black dries to a satin black finish, and it's high quality stuff! Upol puts out a self etching primer as well, that works good. But they will cost you about $20.00 bucks a can.

Oh, and if it's cold where your painting, forget it! wait for warmer weather!

I have always used a automotive paints with a good "self etching" primer. Aluminum is funny stuff. It does not like to be chromed either.

Brian

perhaps this link will help you?

Part Painting and Baking Tutorial

Personally, I discovered powdercoating my parts and will *never* go back to regular painting of lightsaber parts... Powdercoating actually isn't all that hard, but unfortunately it does require probably around $100 to get started (say about $50 for an oven and $50 for the gun)... But it's SOOOO much nicer, stays on better, and is more durable. Plus there's very little wait time for stuff to dry...

If you don't have a PC system, perhaps you can find someone who's near you who does? (kinda like how the happiest days you own a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it - better to have a friend with a boat you can use).

-C

We've used a automotive primer called veriprime, it's a self etching primer.

You can chrome aluminum, I had the aluminum windshield frame of my MGB chromed over ten years ago and still looks great.

The tut that cannibal869 posted is the way to go. I have spray painted many custom machined aluminum lightsaber hilts. Primer, enamel based paints and baking the parts in an oven after painting is the key to making the paint stick.

I use regular Krylon primer (spray can) for my saber hilts and it works great. I have no idea if it is an "etching" primer or not.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back