Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 19, 2011, 1:15 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #26

Thanks TridCloudwalker for your pictures. Excellent ◄ ►! You must have to many midichlorians to get that saber ignited without a controlbox
    Speaking of which if you want your controlbox to look screen-used you're almost set.

I just remember that I must have a hole bag full with normal red and green leds somewhere at my parents place which I could file in the correct 4 mm size . . . hmm tempting thoughts if I had no ◄ ► at all, however for now . . . I'm quite content accept for that Tri-ring position . . .

-Chaim
    From
    USA
    Jan 19, 2011, 3:46 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #27

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    I really have to use great force to get it unstuck...
    How funny!

P.S. This lightsaber looks stupendous!!
    From
    York, PA - USA
    Jan 19, 2011, 10:33 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #28

I just remember that I must have a hole bag full with normal red and green leds somewhere at my parents place which I could file in the correct 4 mm size
    If they're standard 5mm LEDs, you won't be able to file them down to the correct 4mm equilateral triangle; you'd end up with something closer to 3mm. You'd need an 8mm or 10mm LED, but the leadframe inside may be too large at that point.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 20, 2011, 9:07 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #29

Hi TridCloudwalker,

Thanks for the heads up. The ones back home might be even smaller then 8 or 10 mm so I won't bother.

By the way I tried adding an extra piece about 1.5 mm just to see if I could get the Tri-ring in the correct
    position but to no avail ... it was to thick and made of the wrong outer diameter thus looking rather awkward

-Chaim
    From
    USA
    Jan 20, 2011, 9:27 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #30

Sorry you are having so much trouble Chaim, I am sure it will be worth it in the end.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 20, 2011, 10:12 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #31

Thanks Joe for your soothing words.

I did finish the painting/touching up on the neck. Here's the weathered result :

This is an inbetween shot of the Luke ROTJ lightsaber until I get that Tri-Ring fixed :

-Chaim
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; 4 Weeks Ago at 4:44 PM.
    From
    York, PA - USA
    Jan 20, 2011, 7:43 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #32

Looks beautiful.

Wish you weren't overseas. I'd have you ship it to me, so I could fix the ring for you, but the postage cost just wouldn't be worth it...at least, I don't think it's worth the cost. If you think otherwise and want me to fix it for you, I'd be happy to. You're better off finding someone closer though. I seem to recall there being a sabersmith in Denmark, but I don't remember who.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 21, 2011, 9:02 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #33

Thanks for the offer TridCloudwalker,

Indeed the costs nowadays are off the scale for getting lightsabers shipped overseas however perhaps . . . I could
    take the next shuttle tyderium just around the corner, which is also a lot cheaper . . .

. . . and quite an easy means of transportation back in 2007 from Groningen to London when attending Celebration Europe as a volunteer for LFL and Cards Inc.

-Chaim
    From
    York, PA - USA
    Jan 21, 2011, 11:52 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #34

Ha! Nice.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 22, 2011, 2:53 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #35

One more issue that came up.

I weathered my whatever plated Tri-ring using model enamel paints
    matt reddish brown and matt dark brown and matt black with multiple
    layers however the silver of the original chrome/silver-like color keeps
    coming through in tiny little spots. I know ... I know looking back on it
    I should have cleaned the Tri-ring with a cleaner then added a proper
    coating before putting on the colors. I was to eager to see the end-
    result ( "You must learn patience" ) . . . However ... now that
    I have not what would you suggest I could do next to get rid of those
    re-emerging spots without having to start the weathering paintjob all
    over again?

Original Tri-ring :

After several painted layers :

And final weathered result with spots appearing
    albeit not quite visible in this picture :

All suggestions are very welcome,

-Chaim
  11. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jan 22, 2011, 6:51 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #36

Your attention to detail is commendable. I feel embarrassed of my own ROTJ saber now
    From
    York, PA - USA
    Jan 22, 2011, 11:44 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #37

The only suggestion I can think of for fixing the tri-ring without starting over and putting on a primer coat, is to touch up the areas where the silver is showing through, then mask off the rest of the saber, then spray on a whole bunch of thin coats of clear matte spray. It should make it a little more sturdy, but you're still going to have to be careful not to rub or tap at the ring too much.

Ideally though, you should just take the ring off, and dunk it in some acid for a little bit so that it rusts for real.
    From
    Ft Hood, TX.
    Jan 23, 2011, 1:03 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #38

Man this build looks great! I like the detail and effort you are putting into a piece that casual fans would think is not important. (I love accuracy...)
  14. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jan 23, 2011, 7:55 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #39

I have one suggestion. I suggest that I send you one of my ROTJ sabers to accurize!

All suggestions are very welcome,

-Chaim
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 23, 2011, 9:48 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #40

Hi thanks for your suggestions gentlemen.

@TridCloudwalker I forgot to mention that somewhere inbetween the layers is already a coat of clear matt paint. Did not work still tiny spots appearing and I even heated up the last layers of paint to make it stick a little more, something I read in a thread about painting the grenade body parts!
    Ideally I should take the ring off indeed and do as you suggested. Would this also work if the ring is nickle/ chrome? plated? I'll try your suggestions when my paintjob has come off entirely, meanwhile it becomes a nice USED-FUTURE LOOK

@Thanks Shade88 'Accuracy' is my middle name

@Kurtyboy well I have plenty of copper foil left if you like to have the MoM version and also some brass L shape enough for one more controlbox and a brass activator board to make the screen-used version

-Chaim
  16. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jan 23, 2011, 10:28 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #41

Thanks, but I just don't have the skill to cut such accurate intricate parts by hand!

I found my triangular LEDs. Typically I've managed to lose both green ones so only have two red ones. But they are 5mm and not 4mm.

Hi thanks for your suggestions gentlemen.

@Kurtyboy well I have plenty of copper foil left if you like to have the MoM version and also some brass L shape enough for one more controlbox and a brass activator board to make the screen-used version

-Chaim
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 23, 2011, 10:55 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #42

kurtyboy said: View Post
    Thanks, but I just don't have the skill to cut such accurate intricate parts by hand!

I found my triangular LEDs. Typically I've managed to lose both green ones so only have two red ones. But they are 5mm and not 4mm.
    Thanks Kurtyboy,

I never thought I could do it either. But since I did not really use metal parts but black ABS plastic and a purchased brass piece already L-shaped from the modeltrain shop and together with a trial and error approach with lots of spare time on my hands and tiny delicate fingers I managed to get close enough to the MoM version as pictured in The Star Wars Archives Book.

If however you are looking for the screen-accurate version as seen here :

(Courtesy Lonepigeon for the HD screencaps)

it would be a no brainer for me since all I need to do is cut the brass L-shapes into 2 x 5.0cm pieces.
    Add the same size black ABS plastic onto the brass activator board for thickness and then all you need
    to do is glue the L-shapes onto your controlbox with the activator board slided inbetween.
    Voilà one screen-accurate controlbox. Or you only need to send me your unfinished controlbox not the
    whole saber I'd reckon. Do we have an accord? (I just watched Pirates 3 the other night)

So 5mm for the ◄ ► LEDS would look just a tiny bit too big on my controlbox in my opinion, I'm afraid.

-Chaim
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; 4 Weeks Ago at 4:45 PM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 25, 2011, 10:24 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #43

Does anyone who visited the MoM exhibit remember or know what the accurate LED size is?

-Chaim
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 5, 2011, 9:27 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #44

Does anyone who visited the MoM exhibit remember or know what the accurate LED size is?
    ANYONE

-Chaim
    From
    York, PA - USA
    Feb 8, 2011, 3:49 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #45

I'm fairly sure that from the back to the point should measure 4mm.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 8, 2011, 6:07 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #46

TridCloudwalker said: View Post
    I'm fairly sure that from the back to the point should measure 4mm.
    Thanks very much TridCloudwalker, ... so indeed my ◄ ► are the correct size
    and probably the same as the 4.5 mm which Pastor Jedi has for sale for those of
    you guys who need them badly, however . . . those are not quite accurate color-
    wise compared to the MoM version :

(My ◄ ►)

(MoM ◄ ►)

And even with a professional photographer's eye like mine,
    you can clearly see that my controlbox isn't MoM accurate
    either after all that work ... however close enough

-Chaim
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; 4 Weeks Ago at 4:46 PM.
  22. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Feb 8, 2011, 7:31 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #47

Well, if you're thinking of starting from scratch you can always sell the current one... to me

Thanks very much TridCloudwalker, ... so indeed my ◄ ► are the correct size
    and probably the same as the 4.5 mm which Pastor Jedi has for sale for those of
    you guys who need them badly, however . . . those are not quite accurate color-
    wise compared to the MoM version :

(My ◄ ►)

(MoM ◄ ►)

And even with a professional photographer's eye like mine,
    you can clearly see that my controlbox isn't MoM accurate
    either after all that work ... however close enough

-Chaim
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 9, 2011, 6:10 AM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #48

Ha,ha Kurtyboy,

However today I did start over again with those small black side boxes!
    I wasn't quite satisfied with their size (6.0 mm tall in stead of 5.0 mm).
    It was because of the shadow created by the camera flash on the MoM,
    which confused me into believing them to be larger ... WRONG!
    So I altered the spare MR boxes from the back, to recreate that wonkey
    appearance, then gently loosened the previous ones, taking them down
    and having the MR side boxes glued in their rightful place

-Chaim

P.S. Sorry guys no pictures yet, but the MR sideboxes were the same ones
    which I used first, minus the alteration for the wonkiness. (See post#1 all
    the pictures of the previous first attempt.)
    Mar 24, 2011, 4:03 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #49

TridCloudwalker said: View Post
    I haven't finished my control box yet unfortunately. I did however install some triangular LEDs into one for a client. And the LEDs I used were custom made. I have no idea where he got them.
    But here is my saber without the control box...at least, this is how it used to look, as I stripped all the paint a while ago because I was unhappy with it:

and here's a partially finished box. Still a LOT of work yet to do on it:
    Cooooooool lightsaber thanks for sharing.
  25. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Mar 24, 2011, 4:52 PM - Re: Luke ROTJ Hero Lightsaber with partially scratch made controlbox #50

Are the "guts" of the MOM control box documented somewhere?

This pic is from POSW but it doesn't say that this is in fact the MOM saber.