"Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build

Thanks for sifting through them. The shape we're looking for will be like one of those Plastruct "dished heads," in other words, a kind of squashed dome.

Last edited:
Woohoo! That is awesome ProfKSergeev! I wasn't sure if that part was in the kit because of the way the seller took the parts pic in the box, but you have confirmed it for sure!!! And...it sounds like you all have been tracking down the domes on the front as well!!! If these turn out to be what we need, save a set for me!!!! I want some too!!! Hahaha!!!:lol

Last edited:
But stevielewis, I wanted a TV show. I'll be sure to pick up those books though.

If there was an interest by the Next Generation fan base of producing a show using the books as a basis, I would bet it would go over well. Heck...Picard served on the Stargazer for 22 years...so there's enough material there to have a long run series. If they can "reimagine" the original Star Trek series, why not do a show based on the Stargazer novels too? :confused Derr!

I do not yet have a Guramu Zan but looking at a photo I spotted the dome that goes behind the bridge as well as the small missile like object that goes on top of the Valkyrie part.

Why not have a Stargazer series as a TV show. How about TNG: First Command.

Sorry bout that! Still, huge thanks to you two both for the kit IDs. Who knew it could even be done with a few mediocre res photos. Amazing research guys.

I got my GURAMU-ZAN model in the mail today...woohoo! I already have the mentioned parts off the sprew and into my parts pile. I know the lower hull pictire with the Robotman and other items doesn't show the front where the domes are located very well, my question is this...was the part from the GURAMU-ZAN left as is, or was it cut off at the arc to square up the edge? That's most likely going to be a preference call by all of us working on their build. What would Greg Jein do? :love:confused

I'm going to leave it be on my build. Very little if any modification seems to have been done to the other donor parts, excepting the "sawn-off" nacelles and the bridge.

Agreed...it makes sense to keep it as is. What is needed, and I doubt they were taken, are shots of the sawed off ends of the nacelles with what was used to cover the open ends on the "ready room" model. Model parts, or just card stock, like many have done. One other observation....what was used for the square block on the back of the bridge dome...a square block of styrene...or modified model parts? :confused

We're really getting down to the nitty gritty now.

I was going to use some styrene to close off the end of the trimmed nacelles. I wonder if they just used the ribbed styrene sheet or maybe more kit parts? The bridge dome attachment looks like it rounds off at the back, but we aren't really getting a good look.

So where is the original model and can I go photograph it?

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that when they destroyed the bridge of the 1701-D in Generations (primary hull landing), the ready room stargazer model was destroyed with the set. Unless one of the set personel or a cast member saved the model, I think it ended up in the garbage pile somewhere outside of LA. Anyone up for some dumpster diving? :facepalm :lol

Well, I managed to obtain one of the required Stargazer kits this past evening, the Dark Nebula Tripod tank (price was very cheap too). So, one kit down, several to go.

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe that when they destroyed the bridge of the 1701-D in Generations (primary hull landing), the ready room stargazer model was destroyed with the set. Unless one of the set personel or a cast member saved the model, I think it ended up in the garbage pile somewhere outside of LA. Anyone up for some dumpster diving? :facepalm :lol

Wow, would they have trashed the model too? What a shame if no one grabbed it, or what was left. I don't recall seeing it in any of crash landing footage, or in Generations at all. Ugh, I don't want to watch it again.

That Tripod Tank took me a while to source, and while it didn't cost much I see that kit climbing in price if there are more people out there after a Stargazer. If you haven't bought the Valkryie look for one with closely matching decals to the ones found near the sanded down impulse domes. I noticed the red border of the decal is differently shaped than on the decal sheet that came with mine. If you're not using them, save 'em for me.:thumbsup

I did do some decal checking and it looks like a VF-1A or Hikaru Ichijoe's VF-1J decals will probably work. And on the subject of other decals, the Starfleet pennants on the bottom warp engines are likely from the Trek IV issue of the kit (although Trek 2 and 3 versions will work) since it had yellow arrowheads. When the Trek V issue came out, the arrowheads were changed to white in color instead.

After a quickie search, it looks like the Takara Crusher Joe power suit will be the toughest to source, since CJ has something of a small cult following among fans of the anime movie and modelers alike. Since the gun needed is only two pieces, a resin cast of that would be a good piece to get (along with somebody trying to scratch a Xubugle SD toy if one can't be found).

Another question I have concerns the Orguss Gerwalk. Are any of the parts on that specific kit in common with the tank or the battroid? Probably not. I figure the gun is at least close and probably the leg armor packs. But those greeblie details on the back of the impulse deck are likely unique to the Gerwalk as they would be the exposed bits inside the rear of the body.

Wow, would they have trashed the model too? What a shame if no one grabbed it, or what was left. I don't recall seeing it in any of crash landing footage, or in Generations at all. Ugh, I don't want to watch it again.

The model does appear in the Ready Room pre-crash. I doubt they junked it; someone must have swiped it and put it on his mantel. (Sir Patrick maybe?) What I find so bizarre about the final scene is that while Picard is sifting through the debris, he picks up a priceless artifact that his now deceased mentor gifted him--and just tosses it back!

JMChladek, definitely spring for the Gerwalk as only it contains all the necessary parts.

The gun from the CJ Powered Suit could probably be molded, but the kit shows up regularly enough on eBay and does not command high prices. I think everyone in this weird little cabal has one except you (?), so there shouldn't be any bidding wars.

As for the Xabungle, it's just so damn ugly slapped there on the underside, that I'm going to do like Jein and bash something similar in shape but shallower in profile, probably using parts from the other donors to maintain some credibility.

Okay, I'll keep my eyes open. I did do a cursory eBay search and it looks like I can source pretty much all the other kits almost immediately (once my income levels are restored) for not too much. The Orguss Gerwalk might require a slight wait. No sign of the power suit though, but I can be patient.

Xubugle I guess will depend on how much of a 1/1 replication of a stage prop I want to do or if I wish to maybe tweak some things so that the model doesn't look as cheesy during up close scrutiny (the engine pylons for instance, which seem slightly thin and flimsy compared to typical Trek fatness). I likely will try to stick to making it at least closer to stage prop than studio model as this will also become a study model for when I eventually tackle doing a 1/350 version with two PL refits (where the greeblies will need to be scratchbuilt). The 1/350 Stargazer/Hathaway on the otherhand will be decorated more like the dedicated studio model that Greg Jein purpose built.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back