Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 6, 2011, 3:21 PM - "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #1

This is my first post on the RPF and I have to say that I'm honored to be a member of a forum that displays such astonishing artistry, scholarship, and camaraderie.

I'm finally starting my dream project to build a replica of Capt. Picard's "ready room scale" Stargazer. As other insane Trekkies will know, Rick Sternbach and Andrew Probert kitbashed the model from a couple of AMT/Ertl Enterprises and a smattering of Japanese anime kits. Over a decade ago I asked Mr. Sternbach if he could remember any of them, and that's what spurred me on to hunt for the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partmap.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	514072  
    Last edited by ProfKSergeev; Aug 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM.
  2. RPF Premium Member Mechamaniac's Avatar
    From
    Annapolis, MD
    Jan 6, 2011, 4:24 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #2

Do you have any better quality pics? I can see a bunch of parts from the 1/100 Arii Macross Battroid.

This might help...

ARII_ORIGINAL
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 6, 2011, 4:45 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #3

Sorry! I'm afraid these are the highest quality/largest resolution pics I've found. The Arii Battroid supplies at least one part, namely the V-shaped piece in the upper saucer cutout. Do any of the highlighted parts also happen to come from that kit?
  4. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Jan 6, 2011, 5:03 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #4

Greetings and felicitations!

Hobbytalk thread on the Stargazer kit parts

Kit parts used for Picard's Stargazer model - HobbyTalk

... with several links. Their list of parts:

ARII 1/100 Battroid
    ARII 1/48 Orguss Orgroid
    Super deformed Xabungle (robot on bottom)
    Crusher Joe "Galleon" (the smaller of the two kits)
    Tripod from Star Blazers, as seen here: http://www15.ocn.ne.jp/~ndopara/page_thumb27.htm
    And of course two AMT/Ertl refit Enterprises
  5. RPF Premium Member Mechamaniac's Avatar
    From
    Annapolis, MD
    Jan 6, 2011, 5:04 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #5

The long skinny half round thingie in between the top two nacelles is the gunpod from the 1/100 Arii.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 6, 2011, 6:55 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #6

phase pistol said: View Post
    Their list of parts:
    My words come back to haunt me! That's my post on Hobbytalk from several years back, since revised.

Mechamaniac said: View Post
    The long skinny half round thingie in between the top two nacelles is the gunpod from the 1/100 Arii.
    It does look terribly similar, and I thought that for a long time as well, but it's actually from the Nitto/Takara Powered Suit. Perhaps I should put together a parts map of what I've already identified so as to allay confusion.

By the way, the weirdest part on the whole kitbash is an entire deformed robot capsule toy stuck to the underside. Way better than a captain's yacht, if you ask me.
  7. RPF Premium Member DaddyfromNaboo's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    Jan 6, 2011, 7:00 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #7

Ugh, wow, this oneīs really a tough nut to crack.
    Well, for me as a mod, that is Itīs not really studio scale, and not general modeling. Itīs actually a set decoration piece.
    But since this subforum here is the nexus of kit parts information, Iīll leave this thread here unless there is someone who is severely against it

Okay, back on topic. Kitbashing Macross kits?! NOOOOOooooooo......

Oh, and AWESOME idea for a project, since itīs prop and modelwise itīs "best of both worlds", Iīd say

Michael
    RPF staff
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 6, 2011, 7:10 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #8

ManfromNaboo, thanks for being lenient on me! I was debating which forum to put this in, since as you say what I'm trying to recreate is half-prop half-studio model. If you decide to move it later, I won't mind.

As for kitbashing Macross, I agree it's unusual. Leave it to someone like Sternbach or the brothers Skotak to dash our expectations and turn out something incredible.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 7, 2011, 1:06 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #9

Here's a parts map showing what's already been identified on the underside of the prop/model. Please refer to my first post for those parts still awaiting ID.

Most of these kits, while OOP, are readily found and cheap, save for the Bandai Tripod Tank. Good hunting!
    Last edited by ProfKSergeev; Jan 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
  10. RPF Premium Member Mechamaniac's Avatar
    From
    Annapolis, MD
    Jan 7, 2011, 7:28 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #10

So, it's the highlighted parts in the first post that need to be ID'd?
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 7, 2011, 8:17 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #11

Mechamaniac said: View Post
    So, it's the highlighted parts in the first post that need to be ID'd?
    Correctamundo.
    From
    Somers CT
    Jan 8, 2011, 8:54 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #12

I can't wate to see what this comes to because I would be interested in making one.
  13. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Jan 8, 2011, 10:37 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #13

ProfKSergeev said: View Post
    My words come back to haunt me! That's my post on Hobbytalk from several years back, since revised.
    You sir have made one orbit of the Internet.
    From
    Millersburg, Ohio; the Heart of Amish Country
    Jan 9, 2011, 12:35 AM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #14

Oh man am I watching this one! Best of luck on the ID's!! Hope to see it come together!
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Jan 17, 2011, 11:09 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #15

In the pic sourced from Drexfiles. All three of the blue parts (light and the two dark ones) come from the Arii 1/48 Orguss Origroid...Same kit as the pink parts shown in the second (under bow) picture.

You should only need one Orguss kit for the entire model.

This is the 1/48 Orguss kit:
    searching and selling vintage, out of production, valuable, rare and collectable animation toys, coin toys, garage kits, modeling books, model kits, tools, accessories, upgrade parts and relative products, especially in the SF field, autos, military,

In the small image of the painted kit parts...The red half circle parts(gun) and the two oval pieces below (with the black tiangular grills) are the pink parts on the underside. The dark painted part just above and to the right of the red gun is the light blue part on the rear...The white and gold boxish parts all the way to the left are the two blue parts between the nacelles.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 20, 2011, 6:24 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #16

TwinkiMilton, thanks for ID'ing those parts. I should have guessed they came from one of the kits already used. I snagged the one you linked to, and with almost all the parts identified, I'm going to start construction pronto.
  17. RPF Premium Member Mechamaniac's Avatar
    From
    Annapolis, MD
    Jan 21, 2011, 6:09 AM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #17

ProfKSergeev said: View Post
    I'm going to start construction pronto.
    Be sure to post photos here!!!
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 22, 2011, 1:16 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #18

I certainly will, Mechamaniac.

In the meantime, could anyone recommend a good laser-cutting service for acrylic?
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Jan 22, 2011, 6:33 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #19

BC Laserworks is great. I highly recommend them.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jan 22, 2011, 8:12 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #20

star-art said: View Post
    BC Laserworks is great. I highly recommend them.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have just sent them an inquiry.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    May 8, 2011, 1:34 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #21

Updated kit list in the first post. Only the pink-highlighted parts in the picture remain to be identified.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    May 9, 2011, 11:42 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #22

Ready to swing into high.

I've attached artwork of the hull, top and bottom, suitable for laser-cutting in 1/8" acrylic -- which I'm having done now.

If you're following along at home, be aware that the saucer rim on both needs to be bevelled at an angle of 67 degrees.
  23. RPF Premium Member TheRealMcFly's Avatar
    From
    NJ
    Jun 11, 2011, 2:06 AM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #23

Don't know how I missed this...

Wow it's almost all IDed. Sometimes this place is sort of like a mind reading magic show. The other day I was pondering the fate of two boxed amt kits and I search for some new reference only to get bounced back here. Thanks for sharing that parts map ProfKSergeev!

Any ideas on the color? It always reminded me of raw hobby resin on screen but against a white background it's a dark mustard. I remember reading it described as similar to an afrika corps shade.

Laser cut hulls. NICE.

Youll be asking about the display stand in no time.
    From
    Greensboro, NC
    Jun 11, 2011, 1:11 PM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #24

It definitely looks like Afrika mustard to me, but I'm going to be heretical and paint mine in the greys of the larger filming miniature. If my décor were more like Picard's, maybe I'd keep it yellow, but then I'd need a fishtank.
    Last edited by ProfKSergeev; Jun 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM.
  25. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Tennessee, USA
    Jun 20, 2011, 11:02 AM - Re: "Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build #25

I had the vacform model of this from SFSM years ago and foolishly threw it away in a move half finished. Wished I could find another one now.