Six Million Dollar Man Prop Research

PHArchivist

Master Member
I wonder if its not too late to research the props made for Steve Ausitn's rebuilding? After all, it has been 38 years... But with the release of the entire series on DVD, I have a renewed interest.

I recently watched the first pilot episode, which featured the crash sequence, and his transition to bionic man. In comparing the pilot episode sequence to the classic opening credits sequence, it seems to me that only three or four props were used.

1. Clearly, there is the eye, seen through the lit magnifier (in both the pilot and the credits).

2. The pilot episode dives moderately deep with his arm. There are fantastic shots of the full arm, along with its carrying case. The arm features both the forearem and the upper arm; it is essentially complete. The images show very good shots of the electronic and mechanical elements of the arm.

3. The credit sequence shows what seems to me a truncated version of the arm; or basically, just the forearm. I'm not sure if it is simply part of the larger version from the pilot, or a separate prop.

4. The credit sequence shows forceps fiddling inside an opening in the leg. No leg parts are shown in the pilot.

Thanks to an 18-minute feature on the making of the credit sequence (chaired by the director of the sequence himself), there is more known.

First, and obviously, the credit sequence came after the pilot episode. Some shots - particularly of the eye - were reused, cut into the credits. But the arm and leg shots of the credits do not appear in the pilot.

Were they unused clips from the pilot? Or shot wholly new for the credits? This is not completely answered by the feature. If they were shot as new footage, then the props may be new/different from the props used for the pilot.

The credit sequence director DID shed light on the leg, however. He stated that the leg used was the same leg used in Clint Eastwood's "Beguiled", (after the women amputate Clint's leg to entrap him further).

This suggests that the leg prop was very possibly created for the credits. Also, in the credit shots of the leg, recall there is a blue-green cloth draped over the ankle, and (to me, anyway) the foot looks very real. I've always wondered if the foot itself may have been real, inserted perhaps up through a hole in the table.

On the arm, closer examination and comparison of the credits versus the pilot could probably help ascertain if they were the same prop or not. I'll have to do that later, and post caps (sorry I don't have any now).

The eye has been replicated on the RPF in the past.

The DVDs show very good looks at the prop; good enough to build a convincing replica. However there is no known insight to how the design was derived, how it was built, who built it, or where it may be now.

Finally, the pilot episode credits contain an acknowledgement and "thank you" to the UCLA Prosthetics Department. This makes me wonder if the show producers contracted UCLA to build (or help build) the "bionic" limbs. Problem is that 38 years later, I doubt there is still anybody on board there that was there in 1973. We'd have to hope that perhaps information was "passed down".

My hopes with this thread is that perhaps we can dig up more information on these briefly seen but iconic props. Info on who built them, how there were built, and if perhaps they still exist today.

Last edited:
I'd love to see and learn more about the props used on the show as well. I can still remember waiting hours in line way, way back at a Toys R Us to get his autograph. I loved my action figure as well.
DSC06607--.jpg

That was one of my favorite toys!

How does the show hold up? I haven't seen an episode since it originally aired.

The Six Million Dollar Man and Kung-Fu were 2 of my favorites!

FB

That was one of my favorite toys!

How does the show hold up? I haven't seen an episode since it originally aired.

The Six Million Dollar Man and Kung-Fu were 2 of my favorites!

FB

Haven't really gotten too much into it yet.

Got it for Christmas, and am just diving in. But I am presuming (fearing?) that the show may not hold up as well as I remember. I was six or seven when it came on the air, and easily entertained!

And yeah - had the toys too! Still have the Austin figure for that matter...

Last edited:
But with the release of the entire series on DVD, I have a renewed interest.

I've heard rumors about the DVD Series and looked for it on Amazon & other DVD sites but haven't found it yet. Everything I've found so far points me to the Time/Life site. Is the release you're talking about the one that's available from Time/Life? And so far, that's the only place to get it, right?

Two words for the ultimate Six Million Dollar Man prop, I was actually thinking of this one over the weekend.

Venus Probe.

I've heard rumors about the DVD Series and looked for it on Amazon & other DVD sites but haven't found it yet. Everything I've found so far points me to the Time/Life site. Is the release you're talking about the one that's available from Time/Life? And so far, that's the only place to get it, right?

Pretty sure; yes - have to go through TIme/Life.

The set is very nice. Five DVD cases with mulitple discs in each, packed in a sturdy and well designed box. Lenticular image on the box lid that - in a very cool way - simulates him running (like the final shot of the credits).

I would love to know more info. Dunno why but anatomical props are a favorite of mine.

Been meaning to make a bionic eye for a while now, and think I can find a space in my collection for an arm :lol

Chris

Anyone looking to score the box set from Time Life i just got 21% off using this promocode

TLEMLNY2011

it expires today but i got the box set of 40 DVD's for $189.56 + tax ,free shipping
It is a great deal
Enjoy
Jack

I'd love to see and learn more about the props used on the show as well. I can still remember waiting hours in line way, way back at a Toys R Us to get his autograph. I loved my action figure as well.
DSC06607--.jpg

I loved my Steve Austin action figure! I think I had some autographed 8 x 10's that I got from the studio he was with at the time. Lee Majors was the man back in his day!

This is a " bring back memories ' thread. I googled after I read this thread and see they have a Bionic man and Bionic women Wiki with a lot of information .

I don't remember if Oscar's Briefcase was real or just from the toy figure. Here's an image from one of the episodes entitled " Kill Oscar"

Oscar_envelope.jpg

Also an image of a fembot face.

Behind_the_scenes_fembot_photo.jpg

Before I start searching , has there been many replica SMDM items done here ?

I work for Touch Bionics, we are very cutting edge and I hear a lot of news from the industry but I never hear of anybody with a background from UCLA.

I would love a Six-Million Dollar Man poster for my office.

Touch Bionics

More pics please !!! I'll be watching this thread with great interest. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I so remember that fembot.

Steve's ID
StevesID.jpg

or
S2e14-austin-ID.jpg

Oscar had one too,bud different still
S2e15-oscar-ID.jpg

Steve also had a driver's License, but it was on "The Bionic Boy" (starring Johnny from Karate Kid)
Driver.jpg

Color Fembot pics;
Femface.jpg

Calfem.jpg

Katy_unmasked.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back