was the MG42 used in any of the Star Wars films

wtac

Hi all

I cannot remember if the MG42 was ever used in the Star Wars films and it is driving me nuts trying to remember. One of you will know, so put me out of my misery.

Thanks

Sandtrooper also.

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Jul 23 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1286075[/snapback]</div>
Just Dengar's. IG-88 had a converted sterling and a converted MP44.

-Fred
[/b]

Originally posted by kurtyboy
Sandtrooper also.

Really? I thought they only had the MG-34.

From www.partsofsw.com , Dengar's gun also was an MG-34...

Only movie I could think of is Aliens, the smartgun was from an MG-42 if I remember correctly...

Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

Xhiwar

I couldn't get any clear screen grabs but you can make out the long thin (as opposed to MG34 style round) vent holes on the barrel.

mg421.jpg

mg422.jpg

And for comparison:
mg423.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(Xhiwar @ Jul 23 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1286174[/snapback]</div>
Originally posted by kurtyboy
Sandtrooper also.

Really? I thought they only had the MG-34.

From www.partsofsw.com , Dengar's gun also was an MG-34...

Only movie I could think of is Aliens, the smartgun was from an MG-42 if I remember correctly...

Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

Xhiwar
[/b]

Here are the links from POSW

http://www.partsofsw.com/

Dengar's gun:

Dengar's large blaster carbine was a modified MG-42 machine gun circa WWII. The folding bipod stand was removed from underneath the main barrel. The hook that held the bipod in the folded position was left in place and can be seen as a small protrusion in the picture above. The wooden stock on the back was also removed.

Note: In many pre-production still photos Dengar is pictured holding a BlasTech DLT-19 (a modified MG 34). This was not the gun he had in the film, but it was used by 4-LOM.

Sandtrooper:

The most common blaster rifle associated with Imperial Sandtroopers is the DLT-19. This prop was made from a German MG-34 machine gun. This gun was widely used by German troops during WWII and was in production from 1934 until 1945.

In Aliens, both the Smart Gun and the remote auto guns were based on the MG42

-Fred

I'll concede about IG-88 but Dengar "on film" has an MG-42. Only in a behind the scenes close-up shot has him holding 4-LOM's MG-34.

I still don't believe any Sandtroopers ever had an MG-42. The barrel housing is too thin and ROUND to be a 42.

*EDIT: Geez, I just realized I just mostly repeated you, Gigatron. Sorry.

I'd have to disagree on the sandtroopers having an MG42, I haven't seen any evidence of this ever. I think it gets mistaken sometimes because of the t-track on the barrel, but even in the screen caps above it's obviously an MG34. The MG42 has a shorter, more squarish barrel than the longer cylindrical MG34 barrel.

I have to agree with the Sandtrooper in the Cantina carrying an MG34. The vent holes only appear round and the barrel also which just looks like an MG34 to me.

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>(Seth B @ Jul 29 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]1290168[/snapback]</div>
I'd have to disagree on the sandtroopers having an MG42, I haven't seen any evidence of this ever. I think it gets mistaken sometimes because of the t-track on the barrel, but even in the screen caps above it's obviously an MG34. The MG42 has a shorter, more squarish barrel than the longer cylindrical MG34 barrel.
[/b]

second that.
i´ve done lots of screengraps to prove there were MG42´s used but didn´t find any proof of that.
i photoshoped most of the pics, lightened them up, inverted them and so on...
i found only mg34´s all around the sandtroopers.

I think the only time the MG-42 makes an appearance in ANH is on the Death Star. Even then, its only on a weapons rack in the security room overlooking the hanger. You can see 4 heavy blasters behind the first guy who gets shot, 2 upright and 2 inverted. The upright ones have wooden shoulder stocks and flank the 2 in the center that have the black plastic stocks. I think the center 2 are the MG-42s. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't show an angle that can confirm this. :( And on a slightly different note, if you look carefully at this rack through the different scenes, one of these blasters goes missing in one scene (when Han, etc take it with them) and reappears when the Stormys bump their way into the room :p

Brian

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back