Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's**New Maps at start of thread**

Has anyone identified the fan hubs underneath the vents yet?

enginetoppost_zps80370a7f.jpg

I have an idea, but thought I'd check first. Anyone have the approximate diameter of the hubs? Thanks.

Ditto from me Goncalo. Great job and welcome aboard! Really good to nail that one. Now I'm surfacing from the horror of bathroom DIY I'll update some of the maps with these finds.

Cheers
Nick

Happy New Year everyone, be safe & above all, be excellent to each other!.:)
Here's a few more ID's, I don't seem to recall they've been mentioned before chaps?.
Stu

Happy New Year Stu. Still a few hours away for us in the UK though. Beers on standby!:)

Thanks for the new ID's. I've started to get back on the maps and will include these.

Cheers

Nick

Hey guys, were my 312B id's good (top of page)? Goncalo's id's totally trumped mine I know :lol but I just wanted to know if you guys agreed or already knew about them. Peace and happy new year!

Joe

First off, I wish I had the marbles to tackle this monster! I applaud all the years of work and have enjoyed coming back every now and then to see what new parts have been found. I'm always on the lookout for other possible kits used on other ANH models that I don't know about.

Anyway, I was looking at the first map and realized I recognized a few parts. Sorry if this is old news....I got to page 33 and got tired of reading so I'm not sure if it's been posted already.

Joe

MF016_11_waist_port_fwd-copy-1.jpg

Right on, Joe. Chopped up - I was blind to this one, always had the feeling I've seen it before! :lol There is another F1 bit at the top of the Wankel, next to number 9, from the 1/12 Honda.

Stu, great as always mate. I can't wait to see how far your build gets in the new year! Hopefully there will be a couple others joining you too.

Craig

Hi

Have just updated first post with an album link to the latest full set of maps. As they are racking up in number its neater to just link through to an ablum which I can more easily managed and update.

I'm also working on a couple of newer ones in the same style as MF027 to try and reduce the total number of maps and help keep a better context for the info in relation to the ship.

Cheers
Nick

The last few big pieces are falling into place. This missing piece is cut from the Tamiya Kubelwagen. The trailer frames in MF027 are Freuhauf Tanker.

Awesome finds Craig, that Kubelwagen ID's been stumping me for ages. Duh!, I had even looked over the kit scans of this kit lately too, but passed over.
Sorry, which parts in MF027 are from the Fruehauf mate?, the yellow highlighted parts or something else?.

Sure glad your'e still here in the trenches mate & not totally defected to that Blockade Runner thingymawhatsit:lol
Stu

I've just started clicking through this thread, and without sounding like I'm shamelessly plugging my own thread (which is here, fwiw) - I'm working on a project to fully digitize all the parts required to make the Falcon - especially the rarer ones.

Once in CAD form, any of the parts can be printed or machined at any scale. Want a 5' falcon at 32" scale? Easy.

Full scale? Crazy - but plausible.

I'm currently creating the full scale interior set pieces (at full scale - but with the intent of fabricating them in miniature) and will be eventually moving on to exterior bits.

I'm looking for collaborators, or people that have access to kit parts. Just thought I'd share.

... And thanks for all the great part identification here - it helps a lot!

Hi maruska, thought I'd chime in here mate.
I'm well aware of your incredible cg work on the Falcon, namely the cockpit interior.

Now while I admire your work very much & where it ultimately ends up, 3D-printed parts, I'm choosing not to go down that road for my build. Everything that isn't a kit part will be scratchbuilt, the, how shall I say it, old school way. That's just me, I'd rather have the satisfaction of handcrafting parts.

But, if you need help with the donor parts for scanning etc... I'm glad to help.

Stu

Hi maruska,

Although I do not speak for anyone else but myself, I thought I may respond as someones who has "not" collected the many kits involved in building a 5 foot falcon.

I understand that the work you see here is a number of years work for some people as well as many thousands of dollars to those who have purchased the kits to identify the parts. Some say well over $10,000 US to secure the majority of the kits needed. The 32 inch Falcon no less involved.

That is a significant investment for anyone in time and money for any project let alone a model. To hand over that knowledge and hardware so someone (anyone) can just print a copy would be I think, a difficult thing to ask those who have invested so much.

Love your work, and admire the fact you are putting it out there for everyone, as I have done myself, but although there is much sharing within the falcon building community, I dont think a full list of parts will be physicaly made available so as anyone can simply print a part at will unless you purchase every part yourself.

Hope it is taken the right way, could be wrong!

Regards

Ozzy

Hi maruska, thought I'd chime in here mate.
I'm well aware of your incredible cg work on the Falcon, namely the cockpit interior.

Now while I admire your work very much & where it ultimately ends up, 3D-printed parts, I'm choosing not to go down that road for my build. Everything that isn't a kit part will be scratchbuilt, the, how shall I say it, old school way. That's just me, I'd rather have the satisfaction of handcrafting parts.

But, if you need help with the donor parts for scanning etc... I'm glad to help.

Stu

Thanks, Eagle!

This project for me is really just a different form of kit bashing and scratch building. I already have hundreds of hours invested in research and CAD-time as well as piles of model kits in hand - and I still have to build the darn thing. I expect this to be several years just in the digitizing, let alone the build.

I don't plan on making a fully assembled digital falcon ready-to-print. It would be cost prohibitive and the part clean-up would a total nightmare - so it's still parts - no different than using castings - just from a digital source.

I also see this as a bit of a preservation effort. After losing several eBay bids on high-ticket model kits, I thought myself: I have 20 years design and CAD experience I should just start building this stuff. At the part level, much of it is easy - it's the aggregate that becomes the model.

Anyway, I'll PM you to see if there is something we can work out.

:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back