best paint for making polymer clay look like metal?

AliasJaneDoe

I just started playing with Fimo clay. I've been using Pearl Ex powders on black clay for a kinda metallic shine, but it doesn't look like metal. I also tried a liquid leaf in silver, but it actually looked worse. Should I try acrylic paints? I'd really like to get the look of sterling silver and antique copper (I'm doing necklaces). Can anybody recommend a good product? Thanks.

I think the metallic spray-paints which have been coming out lately are pretty slick. Both Krylon and Rust-Oleum have a variety of different metallics; I just picked a variety of different types from the Home Depot to experiment with. They're great on their own, or you can lay one down as a base and mist another one over top for a more layered look. The copper, brass and bronze are all fairly spot-on, especially if you're going for an antique look.

Replicating a silver look is more of a challenge. You might have some luck with some of the spray paints if you use a lot of thin coats, rather than one or two thick coats. You can also experiment with light sanding in between coats. You definitely want to start with as smooth a surface as possible on your Fimo. Have you tried regular (not liquid) silver leaf?

I have a tutorial on gold leafing on my blog — How to Gold Leaf
The process for silver leafing is the same, except you use silver leaf. Leaf made from real silver is expensive; for props, we usually use an imitation silver leaf. You can find the supplies at art stores like Dick Blick or craft stores like Michaels. Usually, they have all sorts of metal leaf, even antique copper.
I haven't worked much with Fimo, so I can't really answer any questions about that. Perhaps there are tutorials on YouTube, or at jewelry-making websites.

I wonder if you can mix metalizing powder into polymer clay?The stuff that is typically use to add to urethane resin to give it metalic qualities and will often mimick them.

Did you ever come up with a process that worked for you?im about to jump into this world and know nothing of the process or even how to smooth out the clay after shaping it.

Try Rustoleum Chrome. It's very good, looking just like polished aluminium or any of the alclad range of paints. Obviously you need to ensure the model is smooth before applying primer first, then the topcoat.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back