Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Re: Studio scale Probe droid build.

Julien, you mean lay the parts and new styrene chips over naked? Yeah sure, i can do that, would be nice as it goes, as at least you guys can see what ive had to do i guess.
Just sanding in Bondo right now on the lower head, where the caster ran his seam....its NASTY lol, but slowly getting there.

I think if you scratch this itll be pretty special, along with Moe's, this was just a better option for me, not having all the vac former access etc etc, luckily, as i said, i pretty had all the kits anyway, so at least its not hitting my pocket too bad.

Yup, you should attack this sometime.

lee

That was Guy but Im too interested in seeing this unpainted and painted !
My oven is too small for the head I guess (dont know really the size of the head) so it's not in my plans to make one right, but I want one for sure someday !

Right now I'm just enjoying the thread as I like the PD very much !

Regarding the painting, are you sure it had it's brown looks for TESB ? In all pics of it with a guy (in the shop, on set etc) it really looks to be black, it looks like the brown color was misted at a later date ??

Its def visible but when you look at it, but it doesn't look that obvious as with the flash photo's, looking at it under studio lighting it does appear to be the way it looks on film.

Its the same when I saw Hans hero jacket from ESB in a private collection, it was brown as was his coat in the Hoth sequences. I was totally taken back when I saw them in the flesh. The classic Han in Bespin Jacket is Brown through & through.

What type of lighting causes this illusion, can anyone shed some light (no pun intended).

I'm currently turning the house upside down looking for my chronicles & SAG, how can you loose 2 books that big! DOH!

That was Guy but Im too interested in seeing this unpainted and painted !
My oven is too small for the head I guess (dont know really the size of the head) so it's not in my plans to make one right, but I want one for sure someday !

Right now I'm just enjoying the thread as I like the PD very much !

Regarding the painting, are you sure it had it's brown looks for TESB ? In all pics of it with a guy (in the shop, on set etc) it really looks to be black, it looks like the brown color was misted at a later date ??

J, I'm convinced there is a hell of a lot of repair paint work on the PD as it is now, Paint that wasn't on the original when it was shot.

Looks like Lee's on the P38 (bondo) again, fly Lee, fly :lol

Thanks for sharing the ref Guy. I can now see so many familiar kit parts. The hasegawa leopold and karl sure were used liberally throughout empire models.

J, I'm convinced there is a hell of a lot of repair paint work on the PD as it is now, Paint that wasn't on the original when it was shot.

Looks like Lee's on the P38 (bondo) again, fly Lee, fly :lol

I flew, its done lol. Just shaped it all in nicely, that seam is a real nasty bunch of crud to clean up.
Going to shoot another mist of primer tomorrow for the really intricate "bubble" fill work, but, its ready for kit parts now.

Ill shoot some pics tomorrow once i get to a save point lol.

Guy im going to start some test swatches soon on color, gonna try that Anthracite, and ive a few other rattler's i want to test, to see what you guys reckon.

Julien, yeah sorry, i got confuzzled while sanding and mixed you and Guys posts up......im high you see, Bondo, P38....totally trippy stuff :lol

lee

I might do a couple tests down the road with a brown paint substrate, and a little dusting/burnishing (with a cloth) of some metallic powdered pigments. They scare me to death - those will coat your lungs and MESS YOU UP. I'll be doing that outside with mask, gloves, and probably a body condom ;)

I kinda had a theory on the paint. In the ref, youll notice a large crack in the head, could be possible, this thing was dropped at some point, and the damage pretty bad, so they had to re dress the model maybe?

Seems odd too, on Guy mentioning the heads top hat being removable, that they just cut the red and blue power wires that run out of the head.

Jason, sounds good, but as Guy's pics show, the brown only seems to show under flash? Even in the repainted guise, it still shows up gun grey, and, in the flesh, Guy reports it to be grey :eek......maybe its a low viz flip paint :lol.

lee

Need some help fella's. This part could be in something i have, and ive ran over it lazy eyed, but, cant seem to spot it.
Ive left it in shot next to the Quad gun part, so it gives a rough indication in size.
Any ideas?

lee
Tophatpart.png

thanks for the ref pix guy. always loved this fella but think i find it too daunting to ever build (seems a pretty big vac plug). however, don't mind watching you kids knock down these bigger projects. keep up the momentum!

Looking very sharp!! Never realized just how big the probe droid is.
Also thanks for the images guy.

Build looks good, been enjoying the comments between you guys. Quick question, the chronicles book is out of production and fairly expensive, is it worth the money? I've found it for about 150.00 dollars (U.S.) and was wanting some opinions before I take the plunge, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

For pics alone...get it, its still very much a bible, and IMO, is still the best SW publication for ref material, and it never was that cheap anyway.

lee

Need some help fella's. This part could be in something i have, and ive ran over it lazy eyed, but, cant seem to spot it.
Ive left it in shot next to the Quad gun part, so it gives a rough indication in size.
Any ideas?

lee
Tophatpart.png

Hey Lee,could that part be part #A15 from the 1/35 T34/76?I don't have the Quad gun to check for size.

Dave

These 2 (bottom) parts are still bugging me. I'm sure I have them but cant remember in what kit.

unknown.jpg

Hey Guy,These 2 parts also look like part #A15 from the T34/76.the reverse side from the picture in my last post.

Dave

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back