Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Re: Studio scale Probe droid build.

Guy you gots it, havent got a pic of the otherside, but yes, that seals the deal, and i owe you a Yorkie bar :lol
Good eye buddy, good eye.

Lee

Yup, got those, thanks for posting, you'll also notice, the blob of glue, where a part has fallen off since it was photographed for the Chronicles.
Im not 100%, but i think it may also be from the M16.

lee

Are there any other "public" images of the probe droid available? Other than the SSM or Modelers/Magic images?
thanks

Well, im working from Guy's images he took himself and was kind enough to share with me, so much to see compared to the ref around.

I dont think there are any images on Kurts site, other than the built NiceN kits, that still have various incorrect parts im trying to make good.

Think now (on the head) i have one more day of cutting various parts and Bondo work, and i can get all my donors on, and the main primer coat....which will be nice, as ive made an awful lot of mess and dust lol, and then i have the body to crack on with :sick

Eye on the prize Lee....eye on the prize :lol

lee

Julien i took a good look through the SU, and found nothing else used, so, with your tip on Russian armor, went through my own KV1, and found other parts from that kit, used on the legs and body is all.

Pretty glad, as it was yet another kit i had in stock, which is always nice lol, so far, all ive had to buy, is a Quad gun and 25 pdr.

lee

It's amazing how few kits contribute so many parts to so many of the Star Wars models, innit?!

Lee, here's one for you. Dont know if this is a wild guess or already known but I think I've found in one of my PD pics that from a certain angle it looks like you ca still see some of the original lines (where they have been sanded off) from the large eye. It looks tome like this is the large dome from the Monogram Saturn V. I've not seen one in hand & like I said it could be a total none starter but I spotted what looks like the faint trace of a smaller circle in the centre of the eye, similar to plastruct domes but with the addition of of the ribs coming from the centre to the outer edge of the dome.

Guy, yes thats correct, you can see also a nipple where the kit part hasnt been sanded either.
Its the part ive used, and the correct one no doubt buddy.

Lee

I must be getting better at this than I thought :lol

Are you replacing the whole large eye then mate?

I've got 2 options ahead of now. I have just finished work for the year!

Do I start my PD or start Xmas shopping :lol

Lee, make sure you take some pics with the kit parts before the primer goes on
It would be great to see it both ways.

Thanks, Guy!

No problem Jason, hope they can help in some way?

I do have to say though I only had 30 mins to sneak out of the show in Sydney & run down to the exhibition. The photos where more about the actual colour of the prop than detail as you know painting this thing is a challenge & a half. I wanted to try & capture the colour you see under studio lighting with the naked eye & without any flash, some of the shots are with no flash & all different exposures to capture the closest look that we see with our eyes.

Still bloody difficult with no tripod & limited time but I know what to do next time when I paint it again & which shot is the best example of the true colour of the PD.

This said its still all pointless as what we see is all effected by the choice of lighting as its displayed & as you look at it it doesn't really show any sign of the brown even up close, its a bit of a paint crime scene & does take some forensic's to work it out with out seeing it in the flesh:lol

I did have another 100 shots of this & the sand crawler from my return the next day, but they mysteriously vanished from my laptop after (cough Cough) my girlfriend spent a day doing work on it. It was only a few months later I realised I'd lost over 500 shots taken at the exhibition :cry

I think I also found a red/orange marking that I hadn't noticed before on other ref or on private builds, so well worth the hassle getting there, I think the staff thought I was some serious weirdo, Panting out of breath whilst taking pics of star wars model's :cool

Julien, you mean lay the parts and new styrene chips over naked? Yeah sure, i can do that, would be nice as it goes, as at least you guys can see what ive had to do i guess.
Just sanding in Bondo right now on the lower head, where the caster ran his seam....its NASTY lol, but slowly getting there.

I think if you scratch this itll be pretty special, along with Moe's, this was just a better option for me, not having all the vac former access etc etc, luckily, as i said, i pretty had all the kits anyway, so at least its not hitting my pocket too bad.

Yup, you should attack this sometime.

lee

No problem Jason, hope they can help in some way?

I do have to say though I only had 30 mins to sneak out of the show in Sydney & run down to the exhibition. The photos where more about the actual colour of the prop than detail as you know painting this thing is a challenge & a half. I wanted to try & capture the colour you see under studio lighting with the naked eye & without any flash, some of the shots are with no flash & all different exposures to capture the closest look that we see with our eyes.

Still bloody difficult with no tripod & limited time but I know what to do next time when I paint it again & which shot is the best example of the true colour of the PD.

This said its still all pointless as what we see is all effected by the choice of lighting as its displayed & as you look at it it doesn't really show any sign of the brown even up close, its a bit of a paint crime scene & does take some forensic's to work it out with out seeing it in the flesh:lol

I did have another 100 shots of this & the sand crawler from my return the next day, but they mysteriously vanished from my laptop after (cough Cough) my girlfriend spent a day doing work on it. It was only a few months later I realised I'd lost over 500 shots taken at the exhibition :cry

I think I also found a red/orange marking that I hadn't noticed before on other ref or on private builds, so well worth the hassle getting there, I think the staff thought I was some serious weirdo, Panting out of breath whilst taking pics of star wars model's :cool

Guy, i think the brown, shows up, as it was possibly a wash or mist coat applied, very lightly?
How i see the droid in the Chronicles, is the look im chasing, pretty much as first built?
May be adding a dust of snow to this one though, as it was filmed.

lee

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back