$1 Store Lightsaber Builds

Looks like I'm the first to this party. Maybe it will inspire everyone else to do the same. I hope so, because I'm very interested in seeing what went into those awesome entries. :cool

EDIT: In my fervor to type all of this, I neglect to point out that I was offering this thread as a General build thread, not just specific to my entry. Please feel free, but not obligated, to add your own build to it.

I started with the concept that I was NOT doing a screen used design. Fair enough, but that meant I need a Jedi/Sith to build a saber for. I came up with this fellow;

Ra-Talla Singh

Ra-Talla, a human Jedi, was a contemporary of legendary Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn. Though strong in the Force, he was no "Skywalker"...or even a "Qui-Gon Jinn". In fact, though he put all he had into his training, he spent the entirety of his Padawan years in Jinn's shadow. The Jedi didn't see it that way, nor did his "friend" Qui-Gonn, but such was Ra-Talla's weakness. He was a touch too proud.

This jealousy never left Ra-Talla throughout his time with the Jedi, and in time it served to harden his view of the council, and his duties. This may be the reason Ra-Talla developed a natural usage of Force techniques normally associated with the Dark Side, though he never turned. His dedication to Justice never wavered, though his methods rode the line. Sometimes a bit too closely.

His last mission for the Jedi was a turning point in Ra-Talla's life. Having cornered his target, a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter, in a bar on the lowest, grittiest level of Corusant, he attempted to persuade the Bounty Hunter to cooperate by by holding his unactivated lightsaber to his exposed throat. The Bounty Hunter, foolishly, mocked the threat. No Jedi would do such a thing...

The Council was less than pleased. Master Windu was particularly harsh, demanding an explanation for the headless suspect being left to be looted by the scum of the lower levels. Ra-Talla had no explanation to give, and was rather relieved that none suspected that he now wore lighsaber-proof chest armor under his robes, though he was sure he would be stripped of his Knight status for the way he dealt with the criminal.

Before his doom could be proclaimed however, a distress call came in, apparently his old rival's former student, Obi-Wan Kenobi, had gotten himself into quite a bit of trouble on Geonosis. He was ordered to join the strike force being sent to deal with the situation.

Ra-Talla never made the rendezvous at Geonosis. Fed up with the Jedi order, he kept going, past the outer ring, landing his craft only once he knew his power cells were too depleted to make it to the next system. On the Jungle planet, Ebane, where the Republic, and the Jedi were unknown, Ra-Talla Singh made his home. Living as a hermit, he lived out his days employing vigilante justice to protect the people of his new home. He never abandoned his Jedi teachings, though he did routinely "bend" the rules a little.

In 11ABY, Ra-Talla Singh died in battle with a petty criminal, though the thief could take no credit. At 82 years of age, his body simply gave out when he attempted to finish off his opponent with a lightning attack.

Hanging from the old man's belt was the very lightsaber he had built as a Padawan learner, and had carried into countless battles since. Behold, the Saber of Ra-Talla:

View attachment 40276

View attachment 40277

View attachment 40278

View attachment 40279

For this design, I really wanted the classic, outer covering free design utilized by Obi-Wan Kenobie. It just looks so utilitarian to not have all the shiny shrouding on the saber. Perfect for the short concept I came up with for my Jedi.

To achieve this spent about 2hrs in my local Dollar Tree picking out these supplies.

View attachment 40280

Now unfortunately, I didn't take a single WIP pic. :unsure But I can TELL you what I did at least.

The key to this design was creating the heatsinks/grips. To do this, I carved my hilt from a block of flower arranging "Dry Foam". Now anyone who's worked with this stuff knows it to be EXTREMELY crumbly. If you shot the block with the airgun on your compressor, it would blast a hole right through it. So, to make the hilt viable after carving it, I gave it a couple coats of wood glue, using wood putty to fill most of the pits inherent to the medium, only leaving what I thought made for good rust holes and dents, then finishing with another coat of glue.

That bad boy is rigid now.

For the neck, and emitter, I sanded down the battery operated candle (which I couldn't resist, though I knew it was going to be used by many), and removed it's guts. Then I cut the top section from the wine stopper, cut a small section of spoon handle (3/8" dowel anyone?) to use as an alignment pin, and super glued the three of them together. Getting the neck centered in the hilt was a trick, and required some over sizing of the hole. Thank the Force for hot glue.

I used more hot glue to fill the plug holes in the phone coupler, using my exacto knife to trim the excess. Then I sanded the sides until it would pass for parallel, and used a small needle file to cut the two flat slots in the top of it. A carefully cut hole in the hilt, and some more hot glue, and VOILA, pseudo Graflex Clamp.

The bag of google eyes earned me an eyebrow raise from the wife, but the round topped, cylindrical shape was just what I wanted, and they came in multiple sizes. The pommel, and the ring of pommel studs are all google eyes, sanded, and super glued into place, as are the blade length, and blade intensity knobs on the "clamp".

For the "D"-ring, I cut a bit from on of those "Bulb Hanger" things, and bent it into shape, using the flat metal spring clips from the key rings to create a hinged bracket for the "D"-Ring. I also used a "Bulb Hanger" to make myself a matching stand. (See first pic)

The saber built, it now came down to appropriate battle damage for 40+ years of use before moving on to painting.

For the emitter/neck damage, I broke out my heat gun, and a handful of randomly shaped objects. I decided that any damage to the neck and emitter should be the result of a weakness in Ra-Talla's technique, so it's pretty much all done in the same area. Dude really needs to rethink those wide, haymaker style attacks.

For the "clamp", I just wanted some dents, so I figured I'd just whack it with some round stuff. I made the very wise decision to make a test piece to try this technique out on. WHACKING GLUE COATED DRY FOAM IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! It caves in in a way you would not believe. The glue cracks very cleanly, and foam "puffs" away to nothing leaving a hole, not a dent. Like a balloon though, a bit of tape change the dynamic. So I rapped the clamp in tape to give it a few whacks.

NOTE: This is the only point in the process that I remembered to snap a pic. lol

Saber Pre- Clamp Denting:
View attachment 40281

Then it was time to finish sand, and paint. I used a black primer for my base coats. Then I grabbed my ruddy brown primer, chrome, and copper rattlecans, and prepared for my first dry brush experience.

First try:
View attachment 40284

It was OK, but the rust was too heavy, and the clamp was not quite shiny enough.

Second try:
View attachment 40285

Well, I repainted the black parts to a rust free look...no love. I had left too many pocks & pits in those sections to have no visible rust.

On my third try, I got the results I submitted, including the slightly shinier clamp.

I love my Lightsaber. :cool

Last edited:
Re: $1 Store Lightsaber Build

Thank you sir, I am quite happy with it. In fact, I took a bit of coat hanger and bent it into a belt hook. Now, when I'm feeling silly, I walk around the house with it on my hip.

The kids think it's great, the wife...not so much. :lol

Thanks for starting a build thread, OM. For me the build thread/s are the best part of these contest!

I really enjoyed the story that goes along with your saber--makes it much more than just parts and glue and paint! Makes it REAL!!!!

In a similar vein.......here goes mine.......

Have you always admired those double-bladed lightsabers? Have you always wanted one of your own, but feared accidental dismemberment or impaling yourself on one of the blades in an awkward moment? Well, fear loss of life or limb by your own hand no more!!

While there is no substitute for proper training in the use of a saberstaff, new technologies are now available.............................

Read about those new technologies and about my build here:
My Custom Lightsaber

Shylaah

DOUBLE POST WARNING!

I thought I should add this.

I had strongly considered adding a blade, and the ever popular crystal chamber to my build. I decided against it in favor of making certain that no compromises had to be made to my vision of the actual saber.

101_0503.jpg

101_0500.jpg

101_0513.jpg

101_0508.jpg

101_0515.jpg

26349637370_ORIG.jpg

26349637540_ORIG.jpg

Alright, I have been feeling un-motivated to do anything lately, so I'm not going to give a big description. But here is my saber, sorry for the bad pics/lack of pics, i took most of them with my phone. congratz to all the winners, and enjoy :D
*sorry for the pic sizes*

It's always amazing seeing how the same items can be envisioned into totally different designs. Creativity knows no bounds. Good work everyone!:thumbsup

Well, I actually am sort of new around here, but not all that new to building lightsabers... I was pretty glad I found this site and am really quite happy that I got 4 votes, especially after seeing some of the awesome entries from other people here. In either case, here are some build pics from my entry #4...

I started out with a bunch of parts from my local "Dollar Club" store.
Dollarparts1web.jpg

I actually didn't use quite as many things as I thought I would...
The general build was pretty simple - split the flashlight handle up into both the front and rear grips and create an internal chassis from the windshield washer squeegee handle. Use the red crystal from the XMas ornament for the crystal chamber. Since I was using a red crystal, I thought this should be a sith-inspired saber. So the shroud (made from the hair mousse can) would have to look kinda sithy (translation = pointy and dangerous).

And I later realized I needed some LEDs to finish off the lights, so I got these from the local "Dollar Tree"
Dollarparts2web.jpg

and
Dollarparts3web.jpg

I had to actually cut and re-dremel the squeegee handle - here's pic of the general overview of how things were put together...
Dollar22.jpg

It was important to me that the saber be pretty solid when closed. I made it so that the rear handle unscrews and opens up to reveal the hidden crystal chamber inside. I also cut some slanted slits into the choke portion so you could see some of the red light from the crystal when the saber is lit up.
Here's a few closeup shots of the chamber with flash and lit up without flash
Dollar21.jpg

Dollar4web.jpg

Dollar5web.jpg

The gold screw-like things are actually the plate hanger springs, just straighted out. The cool thing is that they also hid the wiring inside (I used the speaker wire), since they're hollow in the center.
The whole thing is powered by 2AAs wired like so
Dollar19.jpg

Next came the shroudwork:
Dollar17.jpg

And finally, full assembly:
Closed hilt
Dollarweb.jpg

Lit up front angled view - you can see the red crystal through the gill slits
Dollar13web.jpg

Lit up back view - I put in one of the other red crystal ornaments into the pommel - it gets lit up from stray light from the crystal chamber
Dollar11web.jpg

and finally saber lit up with the crystal chamber revealed:
Dollar3web.jpg

I took apart the latching switch from the flashlight and reused it.

All in all, this was a really fun build. After seeing some of the other entries though I did have a few thoughts on how I could have "sold" this saber better -

1) I should have used my tripod for the pics so they weren't quite so blurry.
2) The use of a mirror as a display base by the winner was quite frankly,
a brilliant move - it allowed you to get 2 views in every picture
(in essence really 6 pics in the space of 3).
3) Maybe I should have tried an animated GIF so you could really "get" that the saber opens and closes??
4) Maybe I should have just made it so that it was "fixed" in the
open position?? Picture-wise it kinda looks better open...
5) I realized that lightsabers for this particular contest -
it's nice if they actually light up, but it is certainly NOT a necessity.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed! It was fun (and occasionally frustrating) to make, but I think that's a common theme in making props in general. Any comments are welcome!

-C

It's a shame you can't appreciate a lot of these sabers until you see the build up. This particular shot is brilliant:

Dollar5web.jpg

Well done!

Kind regards,
Indy

It's a shame you can't appreciate a lot of these sabers until you see the build up.

I could not agree more. I'm not sure if it's seeing the amount of thought and/or work that went in to them, or just that the candid "build" shots actually showcase the product better, but these sabers look even better in these post contest threads.

On another note, I've got an anecdote to share with the group.

Now, obviously, I put some work into aging & weathering my saber, and I'm pretty happy with the results of such. We all like a nice bit of weathering, right?

Well, I showed my entry off to a "Not We" buddy of mine, and told him what it was, a Dollar Store lightsaber contest entry. He looked at the pics for a bit and says:

"Well, did it win?"

"Kinda," I replied, "It got 12th place, which is a 'prize' position."

"How long did it take to build?"

"About 2 days." I said, not telling him that with my time off 2 days means about 32 hrs of constant work.

"Well, it's nice, but maybe if you'd had more time you could have done more to make it really nice. I mean, you could have at least tried to buff it up a bit..."

:confused

I didn't have the heart to tell him that there was virtually NO metal involved in the construction. I guess my paint job is better than I thought. :lol

OM,
Thanks for this thread. Great work. I would love to see this thread keep going, and it has inspired me to attempt my own build of a DSLS. Albeit maybe after Christmas.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back