Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Good Point! (slipped my mind)

... you know I don't think it was a separate shot/set, but I can't really account for the depth. I can't imagine they would have bothered to raise the entire set shown in the photo onto a rostrum just to get an access pit. Maybe the had a hole in the floor, the way the pit in the Deathstar Bay was created by tearing up the flooring down to some kind of empty area below (basement?)

heh, here I was being the expert, and you stumped me!

Okay, this is going back a bit, but you were totally right, Steve.

I just came across this blueprint. Note the square outline, marked "Edge of Tank". :) So the hold was built on the floor, but carefully aligned over a large sunken tank to accommodate the maintenance pits at 5'6". Note that the drawing indicates that the ANH smuggling compartments were still meant to be accessible for some reason. Who knows if they bothered to build those?

The blueprint has some other useful information, such as the spacing of the ceiling ribs, the note how one arc of corridor was a moveable floating piece of set...

I feel like I've made a great discovery today! Unless, of course, you lot already know this...

img03-10.jpg

Last edited:
good catch NKG! I think you're absolutely right on. The orientation of the set piece in the plan drawing even matched the orientation seen in the photo that had us questioning how the access pits were built in!

I just came across a bunch of those blueprints myself via the propstore and a LOT of questions have been answered. Where have these been hiding!?!?

8299808807_bfffaa7766_o.jpg

I just came across a bunch of those blueprints myself via the propstore and a LOT of questions have been answered. Where have these been hiding!?!?

For that matter, what other nerdy treasures must exist out there? :) Another useful bit of information from the Propstore blueprints was the actual greebly/access hole layout of the ANH boarding ramp sides, which weren't mirrored like they were in TFA. They're frequently modelled as mirrored even though it was obvious from film footage that at least the lower section wasn't.

If only we had the exact placement of the six overhead ramp ceiling lights on the ESB set. Or the precise wall sconce positions for the cockpit tunnel. Or various other minor outstanding mysteries! :)

Hi Steve,
I've been watching these threads on the millenium falcon builds for some time with great interest. There is some incredible work going on, well done! After looking in to it for some time and studying what is involved I've decided to also build a full size cockpit. This maybe the first in the U.K.? I'm hoping to build this complete with glass which in front will house a projector screen so you can get a whole immersive experience once inside.
I've been studying the builds and parts required but this is a mammoth task.
I am contacting you to ask your help. I can see you have spent much time acquiring much information and knowledge. Could you help with anything which would assist my build such as dimensions, part list etc... as I would be very indebted to you for any help or advice. Look forward to watching the progress and hearing from you.
Kind regards
Matt Taylor

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also very excited!

Matt, I hope you've checked Sofa King build of his 1:1 MF cockpit? The search button will make wonder for you...also, a warning: Sofa's build is one of the most photographed and extensive work I've ever seen on therpf! Not for the faint of heart for sure. Good luck ;)

Was just scrutinizing a Solo standee of the cockpit at the theater, and it looks like a lot of the greeblies are refabricated close-enoughs, and not from the original donor items.

I am sorry for the confusion guys, but I am not using this model in any way. I have tried contacting the OP to work with him, because I love his work, but I never heard back from him. Currently, I am working with 3d environment artist Matt Billeci and I am using his models both on the site and for production.

Last edited:
I know this is late as it was asked last year, but nobody ever seemed to have answered... The "fork lift" in question isnt by name called a fork lift. It is an order picker. Most likely of the Raymond make seen in this photo.
34243399673d02cc71c18c9b5bde50e6.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

The "fork lift" in question isnt by name called a fork lift. It is an order picker. Most likely of the Raymond make seen in this photo. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180710/34243399673d02cc71c18c9b5bde50e6.jpg

Hi. I'm afraid I don't think that's correct. Star Wars was shot in the UK, not the US, and I believe it was a British-built Lansing Bagnall FRER reach truck. It's similar to the American-made Raymond one you show, but not identical.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=272557

I am sorry for the confusion guys, but I am not using this model in any way. I have tried contacting the OP to work with him, because I love his work, but I never heard back from him. Currently, I am working with 3d environment artist Matt Billeci and I am using his models both on the site and for production.

For the record, SteveStarkiller's rendering of the MF hold interior WAS being used by this gentleman on his website. He changed it after this discussion.

I am impressed by the work you have done on this ship. You had to move on since time but it does not matter if you do not come back on this post. Know that you have an admirer on the old continent :)

I started using sketchup before it was bought by google and until recently I used it regularly. I can say that I know it by heart (plug in ruby etc ...) and I did not think it was possible to do some things also pushed with!
I went to fusion 360 there is 1 year because it is now free. Without regret. After the grip is a fantastic software. But when I see what you did with sketchup I almost want to start over. :)

Congratulations to you. It's a huge job for the SW community

PS: The link you indicate on page 1 does not work anymore. If you come back here one day, maybe not put the whole ship but just a cockpit panel for example to see the accuracy of the renderings (I could not solve a sketchup uninstall :) )

This is just fabulous, as an architecture student myself, seeing someone using sketch up to build what i love is just pure joy. and the model is a perfect reference for my deagostini falcon modification. and i have a question regarding Sketchup model making, how did you model in perspective? i saw a lot of your pictures where the lines from the model are perfectly matched to set photos even with the curves. Is that a technic i can learn?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back