Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

here's some tube work for you guys

5372684790_d5942b716d_o.jpg

5372083903_c905ee7671_o.jpg

The lighting really makes it "pop" and stand out, great job!

I tried browsing the "Behind The Magic" CD, and it was pretty locked down and I wasn't able to pull any images directly from the files. I should have thought about trying the Print Screen, and I'll give it a try when I'm over there again this weekend. I'm also curious to know if I can make myself a "back up" copy of the discs?? I'll try that too. BTW, I did a quick search on EvilBay, and there are a few copies available there.

Did a lot of work on the couch and holochess set. new renders forthcoming.

In the meantime, here's a nice cutaway for you.

Click for a larger version.

Last edited:
This is amazing work! Steve, I have to agree your renders of the Falcon's hold do resemble that Tantive IV corridor (seen from the other side--flipped ceiling architecture).

Randy, thanks! I'm glad to share it!

Nick, yes, this is all in sketchup. I actually have a much higher end modeling application that blows it out of the water, but it's so complex that I don't have time to learn it. Sketchup is so versatile and easy to use that it kind of makes it harder to try anything else.

Primer, stay tuned, I've been thinking about using my model to make the set conversion to the blockade runner, just to demonstrate the point. Should be fun!

5380834793_ae8d6136fe_o.jpg

Hi Steve. I've been admiring your MF work for some time. It is EXTREMELY impressive. I was curious, what is your source for the interior layout of the ship? I've always considered this to accurate but you probably have better source material to work from.

Thanks again for sharing your work!

MillenniumFalconInterior.jpg

That's it. I'm learning sketchup. Any favorite tutorials that you followed?

Nick

Nick, you can´t "learn" Sketchup. You just use it ;)

Seriously, download it and then get into it. A friend of mine headed into the production of a tv movie and bought sketchup the day before her job started, because the 8 hour trial pro version had expired. She made all of her plans and elevations and sections for sets with sketchup, and she is not really computer program savvy ;) And she uses a mac ;)
There´s a lot of tutorials on youtube.

Steve, is that the free version of indigo you are using, or the commercial one? I used indigo when it was just becoming a usable program, liked the integration into cinema4d, but stopped working with it about two years ago when they went commercial and support for my version of c4d was not continued.

Yeah, that's how learning most software ends up going. Just jump at start making stuff until it all starts making sense.

Nick

Nick, I didn't actually look at the tutorials for a long time, mainly because I didn't know they existed at first. So I spent a lot of time fooling around with the program, getting used to it. When I finally saw the tutorials, which were the ones posted on the actual sketchup site, I got a lot out of them because I already knew the tools, and a lot of stuff got way easier. (it turned out I was doing a lot of grunt work that the program does for you, if you know how to ask..). either way, I highly recommend it. and I agree with manfromnaboo, using it is the best way to learn it.

manfromnaboo, I'm using the free version of indigo. the pricetag on the licensed version (some 800 dollars) is a bit high for me... It's actually a huge pain in the ass to work with, because it's not very user friendly (although it claims to be) it's very confusing to use and their user manual is very vague. When it does work, though, it can look really excellent. I posted some renders in another thread here of a t-16 skyhopper model of mine which look just fantastic, almost photo-realistic.

Jiminstlouis, I used a combination of production notes and movie stills. I've steered pretty well clear of layouts like the one you posted, because they have to take a lot of liberties to fit the interior into the ship. I wanted mine to more closely replicate the interior as it's seen as a movie set.

Jiminstlouis, I used a combination of production notes and movie stills. I've steered pretty well clear of layouts like the one you posted, because they have to take a lot of liberties to fit the interior into the ship. I wanted mine to more closely replicate the interior as it's seen as a movie set.

Thanks Steve. The MF, but not as badly as many other Sci Fi ships, suffers from the Jupiter 2 syndrome. 10 pounds of ship in a 5 pound hull. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed lay-out so I can delete the on-line versions from my brain. :wacko

manfromnaboo, I'm using the free version of indigo. the pricetag on the licensed version (some 800 dollars) is a bit high for me... It's actually a huge pain in the ass to work with, because it's not very user friendly (although it claims to be) it's very confusing to use and their user manual is very vague. When it does work, though, it can look really excellent. I posted some renders in another thread here of a t-16 skyhopper model of mine which look just fantastic, almost photo-realistic.

Yeah, I know, and AFAIK it can´t compete with Maxwell and Luxrender and a lot of other unbiased render engines in terms of speed. I know that I had quite a lot of fun, but the renderings always took ages, not really useful when you go down the "try and error" learning path ;)

I then processed the still grainy images with "neat image" (freeware) to get rid of the grain, and lo and behold, good quality. I just got a new CAD program, "Doublecad", free in it´s basic version and only 600 USD for the pro version, works very well with Sketchup, might give Indigo another try, I guess.

I´ve seen the Skyhopper, looks really neat!

Man! I saw Episode 4, 5 and 6 with my kids today & I was thinking to myself.. I wonder when he's going to add the details to the seats? : )
Looks great!!!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back