Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Thanks Tek2graphics,

I wish I could import these to some kind of first person deal, so I could run around in it.

5364183204_6f25834109_z.jpg

5364183136_610f65f516_z.jpg

5363570699_c0b2c7d4bf_z.jpg

Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun with the main hold right now. A nice break. I promised myself I'd only do a little bit of it, sort of a low-detail maquette style model, but...well it's gotten a little out of hand. More renders to come, to show you what I mean.

Thanks Tek2graphics,

I wish I could import these to some kind of first person deal, so I could run around in it.

Way back in 1998 or so Lucas released some kind of PC reference CD program that had a CG Falcon interior you could walk through. It was pretty accurate relative to the computing power back then and it was really fun to "walk through".

Anyone remember that?

You could opt to keep the model at a level that allows for export to a realtime engine (we are currently playing with something similar in Unity).
Finding a few techno-geeks working with game engines shouldnt make that one too hard to tackle as long as you keep the polygon count within reasonable range.

Id would even allow you to see it in 3D with the active shutter glasses.
Cooler would be to create a full Falcon, and create cutaway sections that you have repid-proto-typed. Kinda like the see-through drawings you see in books, only made real..

5365982394_432ec3d751_b.jpg

5365982260_c8817100df_z.jpg

tek2graphics, yeah, I've seen a lot of those interiors while rooting through youtube for useful reference material. Most of my feelings are not fit to print... E for effort? then again, someone may say that about me some time in the future...

Tony and Faustus, Hahaha, good one.
yeah, come to think of it, the inside of the falcon looks kind of like classic trek, torn down to it's guts and then "lived" in.

mccordia: the poly count is probably already out of control, with the padding on the corridor rings alone. I had to make them pretty complex to get the shape I wanted. Still, that's not to say I couldn't try to reduce them. I don't have the know how, but what say say sounds possible, and tantalizing.

Stormy, I would love to see that, if it can be dredged up. I'm really curious to see how I match up.

Randy, thanks. That reminds me, I'd love it if anyone wanted to point out details they had noticed that I've missed or misinterpreted.

That's all for now folks, I'm going for dinner. Have a good week!

Taking the finished model, and 'redoing' it (optimizing parts, replacing the floor grids with transparancy maps etc) isn the biggest of jobs. Could be fun to look at doing that with a small group once its finished. Would be awesome to have online..

5366488033_3b81a0fc6c_b.jpg

I knew I didn't imagine that, thanks Stormy!

he's smoking at 6:17 (although the whole video is worth a look)

also, incidentally, there're a bunch of shots of one of the panels I could never quite see, thanks a million!

Nice!

This is looking awesome. You have to go all the way.

I just want to find some better pictures of that NAV chair somewhere. haha

Thanks stormy,

Nav chairs are still in progress, and I'm collaborating with another member on them.

as for all the way... do I have the time and energy for that? well...no. Can't stop now though can I?

Way back in 1998 or so Lucas released some kind of PC reference CD program that had a CG Falcon interior you could walk through. It was pretty accurate relative to the computing power back then and it was really fun to "walk through".

Anyone remember that?

Yes! It was the "Behind The Magic" CD ROM, and I just so happen to have it sitting here on my desk at work. This thread actually inspired me to dig it up a few weeks ago, but it is not compatible with my Windows7 PC at home. So I brought it to work and tried to install it on my XP computer here at work, but it wont launch correctly. I did a Google search to see if I could run it on Win7 but didn't find any help. Wish I could get this to run so I could go through the Falcon again!

man I gotta see this thing. I'm really surprised there isn't a video of it up on youtube... I doubt it's a copyright persuit issue, seeing as you can watch the entire trilogy in parts on youtube...

man I gotta see this thing. I'm really surprised there isn't a video of it up on youtube... I doubt it's a copyright persuit issue, seeing as you can watch the entire trilogy in parts on youtube...

I'll take it over to my folk's house this week and try to install it on my Dad's old computer which also has XP on it. If I can get it to load and launch properly, I'll post again and let you know.

The Millenium Falcon walk-through was the main reason why I bought the CD ROM (note: I was going to say "...why I bought the CD ROM back in <year>", and I just looked at the discs to see what year it was released, but there was no year on either of the two discs, BUT it says it is compatible with Win 95/98, not XP!) but it wasn't nearly as thrilling or as insightful as I had hoped it would be. But it was a fun CD ROM to mess around with back then.

In light of the new info of this CD ROM, I doubt it would be that helpful to you, but I sure am curious to load it again if I can find a machine that will run it.

Just installed it on my dad's computer and it worked on WinXP! However, the read-me file was dated 1998. The resolution was really low and pixelated, and you already have much more detail in your stills than what was offered on the CD ROM. Now, if only I could figure out how to post stills or record a movie file of the walk-through. I still think you would be under-whelmed by it though.

Just installed it on my dad's computer and it worked on WinXP! However, the read-me file was dated 1998. The resolution was really low and pixelated, and you already have much more detail in your stills than what was offered on the CD ROM. Now, if only I could figure out how to post stills or record a movie file of the walk-through. I still think you would be under-whelmed by it though.

will the printscreen key work while you're in the program, and then paste to paintbucket or something?

The curiosity is killing me!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back