Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

ha ha, no.
but man that reminds me: I swear to god I saw footage of harrison ford smoking a cigarette in the cockpit, and now I have no idea where that was. I thought for sure it was in the R2 and 3PO hosted Making Of, but it's not in there.

There IS a shot in the R2 & 3P0 Making Of, I think, of Ford smoking; but its on the Death Star. He is hugging Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. They are all in costume, but Ford is missing his vest. They are smiling and walking into the camera. Is that what you remember?

LOVING this project you are doing! :)

I know the shot you mean Brinn, but it's not the one I'm thinking of. He's sitting in the cockpit between takes, smoking. I really hope I didn't imagine it...

anyway, I've been thinking that if you were in the cockpit, you'd be able to see the front of the falcon on your left. I started to make a model, which would only be the front pylons, to see how much would be visible.

But I got a little carried away. The following renders are just for fun.

The building is a fairly accurate, if un-detailed, model of the Elstree Studios building which housed the fullscale falcon and the Rebel Base in ESB. You'll probably notice, though, that my falcon only has three landing gear, consistent with the ANH Half Falcon. Just thought it went with my cockpit.
The landing gear themselves are modeled after some more blueprints I got with the cockpit. I'm thinking that as a final touch, when I'm done with the cockpit, I'll detail the tops and visible sides of the pylons, and do a few renders from chewie's seat.

5309170885_002c96f26a_b.jpg

5307685008_6e81daa84f_b.jpg

5309170873_371ba67f25_b.jpg

5307685070_89c73185a4_b.jpg

Hmmmm..... Now I want to see this clip and I hope you didn't imagine it either! :D

NICE SHIP MAN!! Good job! Can't wait to see out the cockpit window with the front forks there.

Man - you have done two things no one (that I know of) has ever done.

1) I never thought about it, but your right. You would be able to see the front of the ship. I've never seen that view in any publication.

2) You are the first person who has documented the scale of the real Falcon next to a person. Your render really gives you a better since of the size of the Falcon.

faustus, brinn, stormy and yellow jacket, Thanks! I'm glad these are being appreciated!

I always like to take fantasy objects and think, 'what would it look like if I were just standing there'. Hence the thinking about that the pylons would be visible. The full scale falcon is approximated from how large the tube behind the cockpit would have to be to accomodate the cockpit itself. However, there's a lot of great pictures of the full scale falcon at elstree studios with folks standing around it that really makes it feel real and gives a real sense of scale.

Thank again!

here's one more view of it. this is from Luke's point of view.

"What's that flashing!?"

wish I had time to photoshop some stars in.

At some point I plan to render the same shot with the Deathstar in view, for a "That's no moon" view.

5311358626_526fb283c9_b.jpg

OH WOW!!! These renders look SWEET! How COOL to see what you'd see if you were sitting there??

5310571621_e44fc55be1_b.jpg

Love this ship and your project!! THANKS MAN!! And HAPPY NEW YEAR to YOU! :)

Thanks Brinn and Cessnadriver! this project, although it's taken over my life a bit, is really fun to work on, I'm glad you guys are liking it.

Junkpilot, I'm working in sketchup, with the indigo renderer plugin.

hey guys, sorry no updates for a while. Holidays put a wrench in everything and I'm trying to get back on track.

In the meantime, here's another "just for fun" render, which I just find sort of pleasing, of the falcon body I'm working with. I would love any critiques of the exterior, especially in the mandible area. I'm working loosely from the 5' falcon, sort of combining it with details from the full scale (hence the temporary all wood facade)

thanks!

will get back to the cockpit ASAP

5325863954_27ec59872a_b.jpg

hope you guys enjoy.

Looking sharp! great stuff but what plating setup do you portray here? The Falcon on The empire strikes back (Fine molds Kit) or the Amt/Erlt kit?
Cause the Big greebles I see here are from the Amt/Erlt model.

Keep up the cool rendering!

thanks sqbiedoo!

yeah, the plating is roughly frankensteined together from a couple of sources. I've been waffling with the level of accuracy I want for the mandibles, since they'll only feature out the window. But my feeling is that I should pick a version and stick with it/go for the gusto, given the standard I've set with the interior.

I've be researching the 5' Falcon and found a lot of great references of that. The extensive research done on that production model would make it the easiest choice. For a while I toyed around with modeling after screen grabs of the Full Scale ESB falcon (I'd prefer to do the ANH Half Falcon, but the actual full scale model is mostly incomplete, greeble wise, on the top surfaces), but for that I'd only have the shots existent in the movie--which, though they're a fair chunk, are not as clear or prolific as all the photos I can find of the 5-footer.

Last edited:
I love what youve done here. Altho my opinion may be a little biased,go with the 5 fter:)
BTW-That guy on the top really gives it a nice touch of scaling :thumbsup

Good stuff, Steve! I agree, use the 5-ft. The full-scale MF was constructed from photos of the 5-ft anyway, which has the better (kit-bashed) detailing and you'll have lots of references to work off of.

And from the starwars.com article (http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/kessel/f20060309.html?page=4s), it's mentioned they used automotive scrap: "Brian Johnson elected to use existing mechanical parts and miscellaneous pieces from car wrecks found at the numerous junkyards dotted across London". It would be really difficult to get ahold of anymore information as to what specific parts those are than what you could get screen grabs of, which is really not a lot to go on.

Last edited:
Man, this keeps getting better and better! Really cool adding the view of the body of the Falcon out the viewports.
I know you're basing this on the ANH cockpit, and I know it's a really geeky thing to comment on. . . but the "missing" center divider on the forward window is bugging me!! :lol :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back