Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

got another render coming up where I've addressed the items BlobVanDam mentioned. Also adjusted the headrests of the chairs for a stouter wider look, and rebuilt the center console from my plans for a much better match (that was one of the first things built and I found out I'd made a couple of mistakes).

getting back into the details of the work I did over a year ago is always a bit of an archeological experience. So many "what the hell was I doing over here? what did I do that for? this ...just makes no sense." moments.

Ozzy, Brinn, got any critiques for me?

Am I seeing things, or are there dice hanging from the top? And there are missing details on the two top black panels on the ceiling?

Looking great though!

And in your render, there seems to be grey space on the ceiling between the two black boxes and the two black panels, or is that just shadow in the set pic? It almost looks like the panels touch the boxes?

So yes, I believe you are seeing the dice. I'm beginning to think that the famous disappearing dice never actually disappeared. They're just out of frame in every shot beside the one they're famous for (which was an unusually low up-angle shot of the cockpit) There are also other pictures of everybody in the cockpit during filming of the escape from tattooine scene that seem to have the dice in the murky shadows overhead.

I agree that there're details missing from those black boxes in the canopy. Those have been the hardest of all to reference. I think that the grey gap there may should have some extension of the black boxes, but I'm going to see if I can't scrounge up some more reference.

thanks Brinn!

I always enjoy watching the evolution of your hard work on this project. The "Flying Chicken" has always been one of my favorite sci-fi vehicles, so it's especially fun to see what it might really look like in real life. I'd thank you for doing this, but somehow I get the feeling that you started this project out of pure selfishness, but like to brag! Incredible work, and big thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more!

I don't seem to have anything to add to the above buddy. I keep on getting distracted by the four level floor. Distracted in a good way.

Off topic a bit, but a question for you. You know my graphic skills end with MS paint so I don't know much about other programs. My son is beginning an interest in this type of rendering (star wars nut too). So would you suggest he start with indigo, or something else? he will be learning on his own.

Thanks in advance

John

Ozzy: I both do and don't recommend indigo. If he's going to be working with sketchup, it's one of the only renderers that I've tried that has very realistic results. It is, however, a monumental pain in the ass to figure out sometimes. Not to mention that unless you pay for a 600-800 dollar license, you can only render maximum images 1000x645px and they all have the indigo watermark in the corner (the license, even at that price, literally only unlocks unlimited image resolution and removes the watermark...). the other problem is that you can't render videos with it.

sadly, for all that, it's the least painful to use among the render plungins for sketchup...

Last edited:
Man, I love this thread!

Steve, I can only imagine all the hours you have put into this.
Kudos!
As a 3D modeler myself , I know how much work it can be.
People often mistakenly think, that just because you are using a computer; it is some how less work or that it will always go faster....

as if there was a "make Millennium Falcon" key on your key-board.
Just press it and you're done ;)

Keep up the good work!

Here's another render with some more details and a different angle.

the newest render from the side-by-side comparison is still cooking.

After a few more details I'll be moving on to another screenshot for comparisons.

attachment.php

So cool!

If you start at the guy's head, and look up at about the 2:00 position, there's a silver disc. You have yours lower on the panel than it seems in the photo. It would help in the side-by-side if the cockpits were scaled the same.

Did I mention it's cool? :)

Thanks Treadwell!

saw the disk being lower, too, and corrected it. And the next side by side will actually be side-by-side, and will be scaled to match.

I wish those disks and cylinders up in the canopy were visible enough to make accurate identifications of what the parts actually are. Gotta get as close as I can, but it may never be really "screen accurate". such is life.

by the way, anyone know who that guy is standing in the cockpit? I found a photo of him with Gary Kurtz and some other guys from the production team, and it had his name, but I've since lost the picture...

Looking fantastic. You can pretty much overlay those and they match up amazingly well. I've (hopefully) attached a pic with the few super pedantic nitpicks I could find.

I'll be starting my own similar attempt at a screen accurate build of a set soon, so you're free to return the favour. :lol

Sweet!

What's the poly count up to by now?
just curious, I know the ANH Cockpit was struck after the first film,

Does anyone know if the ESB /ROTJ Cockpit set survived (or any parts of it)

It would be a shame it it was all destroyed after the filming.

(sorry if this was all ready brought up on this thread)

Excellent...I have been enjoying your work for some time now. As a fellow fan of the Falcon from ANH, It is indeed a pleasure.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys!

greeble_gremlin: It may be possible that some of the large panels of the original cockpit weren't scrapped completely after ANH, but were actually re-used for ESB (and ROTJ, which is the same set as ESB). Although an all new structure was built for ESB, it was built from a copy of the same plans that were used in ANH (except for a 1 to 1.5 foot extension in depth, which was insisted upon by Kershner, but rejected by Lucas since it made the cockpit feel less cramped) And a number of the panels are so dead-on, albeit with a ton of new greebles glued to them, that I've thought for a while the panels were kept and re-used in ESB.

There's depressing photo evidence, taken by Anthony Daniels as a matter of fact, that the entire main hold, and Full-Scale exterior, were scrapped after ESB wrapped.

The photos do not, however, include the cockpit.

There are photos of the cockpit set on the same sound-stage as the main hold (though not actually connected to the main hold set), so it's kind of curious they're not in the same junkyard.

if someone did keep the set, or if it's been crated in some warehouse for over 25 years.... that would just be.... I don't even know what... I have no words for that.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back