Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

6406257329_9427519635_o.jpg

all new docking bay from blueprints.

thanks shaunsheep and ozzy!

now if only I could animate those walkthroughs with this level of rendering....

fooling around with vray right now, but it's just as temperamental as everything else I've tried. If I can figure the damn thing out, though, I should be able to render a movie that looks like the above... if I don't burst a vein from frustration and bleed out first...

You're allowing us a rare glimpse of the familiar. It's as though we've walked through an unattended door at Docking Bay 94 to find the Falcon sitting alone. It's a quiet glimpse of what we know with everything removed but sunlight and shadows.

If you could add in the background noise and audio from Mos Eisley the illusion would be complete.

junkpilot: all the camera steps in my walkthrough animation have innocuous titles like "scene 68" except for this one, which is of course "what piece of JUNK!"
this is one of my favorite moments in the movie.

Usually we're treated to fanfare and sweeping cameras, all saying 'get a good look at how gloriously bad ass this movie's main ship is. ' But star wars drives home its sense of a believability with this single moment. not to mention the other great line "you came in THAT?"

Yellow jacket: I would die happy if I could render this thing up, and then add those sound effects. If anybody can isolate some of those sound effects, or if someone already has, I would readily add them to the video.

Im not that experienced with google sketchup.. but i cant see why it wouldn't support a batch render to move with your camera pans.

You could always try exporting your scene into another program.

Can I ask what made you choose sketchup in the beginning?

Also.. if you just search for star wars sound library's.. they are all out there. easy to find

Ash: vray batch renders camera moves just fine. The problem seems to be the size of my model. Vray often hangs or simply does nothing after loading the scene. The only way I can get it to work is by paring down a model considerably, which isn't too great after all the work I've put into it.
Sketchup is not especially great at exporting to other programs, but I may have to look into that in the end.

I do have more powerful 3d programs, but sketchup, with its easy learning curve and relative power and versatility once you get the hang of it, has kind of kept me from learning to use them. I started this project by fooling around in sketchup, and it just grew and grew, now that it's stretching sketchup's limits, I don't know enough about any other program to make an easy transition.

world's smallest violin right? I just got to get in there and learn.

as for the sounds, I kind of doubt that a star wars sound effects archive would include the obscure little noises of the docking bay, if for no other reason than to save room for other more exciting sound bites, like blasters, and engine noises. worth a look though.

Yellowjacket, cool! if you can isolate them, I'm putting them in for sure.

I'm trying to find enough engine fly over recordings to replicate the audio. Many of the Star Wars libraries have conversation sound bites and battle noises.

EDIT: I've found some good crowd traffic files and some high altitude engine noises. I'm going to see if my sound editor will do you a track for the walk through. Once you know how long it needs to be, let me know.

Last edited:
Ash: vray batch renders camera moves just fine. The problem seems to be the size of my model. Vray often hangs or simply does nothing after loading the scene. The only way I can get it to work is by paring down a model considerably, which isn't too great after all the work I've put into it.
Sketchup is not especially great at exporting to other programs, but I may have to look into that in the end.

I do have more powerful 3d programs, but sketchup, with its easy learning curve and relative power and versatility once you get the hang of it, has kind of kept me from learning to use them. I started this project by fooling around in sketchup, and it just grew and grew, now that it's stretching sketchup's limits, I don't know enough about any other program to make an easy transition.

world's smallest violin right? I just got to get in there and learn.

as for the sounds, I kind of doubt that a star wars sound effects archive would include the obscure little noises of the docking bay, if for no other reason than to save room for other more exciting sound bites, like blasters, and engine noises. worth a look though.

Yellowjacket, cool! if you can isolate them, I'm putting them in for sure.

Hey Steve... if you have the pro version of Sketchup you can export into VRML or OBJ formats and load it into just about any other 3D program out there. If not I know there's a couple of good conversion programs out there that can convert the KMZ files for you. I personally like TrueSpace and Cinema4D however I've found the best program to handle large object files is Lightwave. It is able to import geometery seemlessly and uses very little memory to do so. I've got a super detailed Star Destroyer and it will only load up in Lightwave. The amount of detail in it will crash any other program I've tried, but in Lightwave it loads and animates perfectly. I think it may have something to do with the way it handles the objects themselves. It uses some kind of fractal geometery that compartmentalizes each scene itself and disregards any detail that can't actually be seen by the light or the camera (example: the back engines when viewing the ship head on) In any event, Lightwave may not be the easiest to learn, but it will definately handle the large amount of detail you have in this project. You may want to look into it and let me know what you think!

I know the shot you mean Brinn, but it's not the one I'm thinking of. He's sitting in the cockpit between takes, smoking. I really hope I didn't imagine it...

You didn't imagine it. I saw the same scene on the History Channel special on the making of Star Wars. Harrison was talking to to someone off to the left of the camera and smoking a cigarette.

Wait... I'm confused.

I've only looked at this for the first time today because I mostly joined for tips on modelling with styrene and such. Also my mac's busted so I'm avoiding computer stuff which could make me sad but my curiosity and love of the falcon got the better of me.

Are these pictures cg? I'm gonna sound really naive jere but... They look real!

Whatever you've done here it's very nice. I salute you :hap

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back