Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

They are almost identical to industrial mains junction covers still being used here in Australia. Although I have never seen them that big. Then again I have never worked on an industrial sigth that would warrent something that size.

But since they seemed to have a lot of access to pluming materials, I would suggest it would be a simular cover for plumbing junction.

The center of these covers usualy has a round threaded hole were you screw in a pole which you use to pull the cover off. The ribbs were to strengthen the lid for that function.

Could be totaly wrong though.

Ozzy

I wondered about the lower light boxes too, but I assumed you had found a reference where they had been turned off.

In the reference I have the lightbox is mostly obscured by the chair. There's a few inches of a white rectangle to the right (towards the door), completely dark to the left.
In that pic with Luke you posted I think the whole surface is just reflecting bright. It's not all a lightbox.

In the reference I have the lightbox is mostly obscured by the chair. There's a few inches of a white rectangle to the right (towards the door), completely dark to the left.
In that pic with Luke you posted I think the whole surface is just reflecting bright. It's not all a lightbox.

Ummm no! there is a light strip the whole way long, in both ANH Set and ESB.The light strip runs the entire length of the table, side walls included. It is shown in the original blue prints you said you used, and can be seen in all other production material as well.

ozzy

Message from Robert Brown

Because some members here asked for his opinion, I am trying to pull Bob to this board. To no avail yet, but I got at least the following message from him:

It's been a long time since I thought about the Falcon (which I called the "ship of riddles") much, and I am very rusty on the details. I gather the "365 days" images have caused some debate. I don't really see it as much of a controversy, but I gather some people wondered what I might have said on the matter, so here is my opinion. I believe the maquette is designed to model the "built filming set" rather than the real ship 'per se'.

We know that:

(a) filming sets do not match exterior designs or "common sense" ship design principles (cf: the illogical movable maze of Blockade Runner corridors - set designs for film & tv in every genre are usually dominated by short, relatively cheap, movable & re-usable corridor sections with plenty of bends &/or corners)

(b) we know the ANH & TESB interiors were built separately from the exterior & from the ILM ship models. We also know the TESB 'exterior' cockpit (a quasi interior they somehow shoe-horned Peter Mayhew into!) was considerably undersized when compared to the true standalone "hero" cockpit interior filming set.

(c) we know that the TESB Elstree Studio exterior was around 30%~40% undersized (the latest "Haynes" work is to be congratulated for finally accepting (and improving on the accuracy of) that figure (and forcing it upon the LFL thought-police, a great achievement)). I first rescaled the ship size to 34.8m about 14 years ago (STAR WARS: The Millennium Falcon) though curiously, the Haynes authors didn't see fit to grant me any form of acknowledgement. Previously, Doctors Reynolds & Saxton were academically polite enough to do so in their texts, even though they did not adopt my analyses for the most part. I gather that Chris.T has since kindly acknowledged the omission on this board - so thanks for that. Nice to know there's still some real people hiding in the evil empire. I knew there was some good in there; the Emperor hadn't driven it from them fully!

QUESTIONS:

Q* could the maquette 'medical room' actually have fitted into the ship?
A* Yes. Once you scale up the exterior, as you must (it's official now!), it could be installed under the Haynes design (though headroom is getting tight in there because their forward hold is off centre to portside) and it could easily fit under my own deckplan design (as expertly rendered by the talented Frank V. Bonura):(http://web.archive.org/web/20000914162355/http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/mf/frank666.jpg)

Q* is it an accurate depiction of the "real" ship
A* No. Footage of the interior from the movies clearly show that there is no doorway in the north west (port shoulder) corner of the forward hold to anywhere. (STAR WARS: The Millennium Falcon)
If such a room existed where the maquette shows it to be, then it must be accessed from somewhere off the western (port) arm of the ring corridor.

Personally I believe that particular space (if not filled with infrastructure or mechanism etc) is probably occupied by a relatively low-headroom cargo storage area (possibly even under vacuum) which is usually autoloaded by the front mandible cargo handling system (another interpretation of mine that the Haynes people have benefitted from).

The TESB footage of the "medical bunk" room in TESB (even the extended BluRay footage) was deliberately vague. It offers only enough to be sure that it is NOT the bunk behind the holochess-set. Personally, I believe the medical bunk is in one of the crew accommodation areas, in the outer quadrants of the ship (ie: outside the ring corridor) possibly West-North-West (immediately forward of the port docking arm, an area filled by an odd eccentric section of ring corridor in the Haynes plan), West-South-West (immediately aft of the portside docking arm) or East-South-East (aft of the starboard docking arm).

ASIDE:
An unrelated observation that I don't think I ever made entirely clear on my old website and always meant to clarify: The floor level of the ring corridor is about 150mm higher than the forward hold (this much is well known, I am sure (STAR WARS: The Millennium Falcon))
so; it is just possible that virtually all the other floored spaces (including the engine bay - which BTW should be full of engines, as the exterior model suggests and as Joe.J knew) are also ~150mm lower than the ring corridor; ie, at the same height as the forward-hold deck level. This makes sense, particularly in the outer areas, as it offsets the rapidly shrinking headroom at the edge of the saucer just a little. The deck height of the gun ladder corridor and docking arms are at ring corridor height (the corridor to the cockpit must actually slope upwards, as we see no evidence for steps, because the cockpit itself is considerably elevated from the ring corridor. Configursation of the interior artificial grav deflectors probably makes it "feel" flat to walk up though (as with the gun pits, which are 90 degrees from horizontal)). The deck height in the circuitry bay (the kissing scene) is at the lower level, same as the forward hold, which suggests this same level for other (if not all) "non-ring corridor" spaces.

just my 2c

and please remember I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWERS (and neither does anyone else!)
SO THINK FOR YOURSELVES ... coz that's where the fun begins :)

best regards to you, last of the free-thinkers

B^2 (PhD)

Cheers!
Falk

thanks for that falk, it does clarify some of the questions but as the shipp will never probably be made full sized the riddles do add to the fun, thats what makes this all so interesting......

Ummm no! there is a light strip the whole way long, in both ANH Set and ESB.The light strip runs the entire length of the table, side walls included. It is shown in the original blue prints you said you used, and can be seen in all other production material as well.

ozzy

Yep, you're correct. The armrest of the chair obscures the length of the lightbox in a few pics. The blueprints do say "lightbox".

Re: Message from Robert Brown

(c) we know that the TESB Elstree Studio exterior was around 30%~40% undersized (the latest "Haynes" work is to be congratulated for finally accepting (and improving on the accuracy of) that figure (and forcing it upon the LFL thought-police, a great achievement)). I first rescaled the ship size to 34.8m about 14 years ago (STAR WARS: The Millennium Falcon) though curiously, the Haynes authors didn't see fit to grant me any form of acknowledgement. Previously, Doctors Reynolds & Saxton were academically polite enough to do so in their texts, even though they did not adopt my analyses for the most part. I gather that Chris.T has since kindly acknowledged the omission on this board - so thanks for that. Nice to know there's still some real people hiding in the evil empire. I knew there was some good in there; the Emperor hadn't driven it from them fully!

I do feel bad that we forgot Bob in the acknowledgements. It was a huge oversight. After compiling a very thorough list of everyone who has contributed to the Falcon over the years we end up forgetting one so important. I mentioned it to Chris Reiff the other day and he couldn't believe we forgot Bob either. I can only blame it on the chaos at the end of the project and the fact that we hadn't consulted Bob's website much this time. His site was more of a help when we first blueprinted the ship several years ago.

still interested to know if anyone has the blueprints book, but in the meantime here's a bit of panel work.

Was bored at work today, and it's very quiet. Can't use sketchup here (which is probably good, or else I'd never do any actual job related work). Got to fooling around in Inkscape, and taking a look at the few screencaps there are of the panels on the corridor side of the cockpit back-wall.

This is the first time I've crossed the line towards making up greebles out of thin air, in the this project. Mainly because the few photos in which these panels appear are very murky.

about 30% is designed from what is actually seen, however, so it's not totally made up.

attachment.php

Han-Luke_congrats_large.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks, check out the latest virtual walkthrough of the Falcon, now including all the recent modifications I've been making.

click the image to link to the video on youtube

soon to be honed even further by the addition of some excellent blueprints to my library.

Hey folks, check out the latest virtual walkthrough of the Falcon, now including all the recent modifications I've been making.

click the image to link to the video on youtube

[SNIP]

soon to be honed even further by the addition of some excellent blueprints to my library.

Looking great as ever Steve. It left me with a question though... the ceiling of the boarding ramp, is there any evidence to show that it moves upwards, parallel with the boarding ramp, when the ramp is retracted (thus making the starboard docking ring/hatch accessible)?

What are these "excellent blueprints" of which you speak?

thanks guys!

Mcninja, as far as the way the set piece is designed and constructed, it doesn't seem to imply that it moves.

although there's a seam, as you can see in the pic, I would think the verical lines would want to be curved if there was an intention to imply access to the docking ring.

That is to say, it's not impossible, but I don't think they had it in mind when they design her.

Empire%20Wars%204.jpg

another thing that would make me say not, is the side view schematic pictured below. It shows the ceiling of the ramp connecting pretty solidly with the outside edge of the exterior (where I've put some control panels which you can see as the camera exits the falcon.)

118_119.jpg

as for the excellent schematics, guess you'll have to wait and see!

as for the excellent schematics, guess you'll have to wait and see!

That's all I need... another reason to check this thread every five minutes! As for the sloping ceiling above the boarding ramp... I could never come up with a compelling reason or rationale for it (it's one thing that's bugged me ever since I first saw it).

thanks guys!

That is to say, it's not impossible, but I don't think they had it in mind when they design her.

And if they DID ever have to address that (wouldn't THAT be nice to see the Falcon again?) they could always do the old "Yeah, R2 ALWAYS had rocket thrusters in his legs!" bit. :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back