Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 12:44 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #26

in the meantime, how about we make this a ANH falcon reference thread?

Here's a couple of the best one's I've got.

The last one above is actually either the ESB or ROTJ cockpit under construction. Note the extra depth of the rear section. The bare wood paneling there, as contrasted to the black, is the new section. Otherwise, comparing this to the model I constructed from the ANH blueprints, it's virtually identical.

A further note about the differences: the console of the ESB falcon is oriented low and tilted forward, as it appears in the blueprint. The ANH console is raised up about six inches and tilted back so that the top surface of the center column is horizontal (see the picture above with the guy standing in the cockpit). My best guess is that they made this modification after they found difficulty fitting Peter Mayhew in the original low/tilted plan...
  2. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:00 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #27

I'm positive in ESB the cockpit chairs have the armrest. I can't tell in ANH. You can see this in the new book "Making of the Empire Strikes Back".

You're right. I forgot about the "skull" cap.

RATS - If someone can contact MB, that would be awesome. I'm not sure how to go about it. I did talk to an online owner of a ejection seat website who is somewhat an expert and he didn't offer an explanation.

As they say - ship of riddles.
    From
    Newport News, VA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:07 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #28

Here are a couple of ref shots. I realize one is from ESB but it may be useful.

From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:20 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #29

Stormy320 said: View Post
    I'm positive in ESB the cockpit chairs have the armrest. I can't tell in ANH. You can see this in the new book "Making of the Empire Strikes Back".

As they say - ship of riddles.
    I gotta get that book.

I have Rinzler's Making of Star Wars, but surprisingly it has all of three stills from the cockpit. One of them is nice and big, but still, you'd think there would have been more.

I'm thinking there are no armrests on the ANH because of the way that Luke and Obi Wan get into them so easily, without having to swivel the whole chair over. Like I said there's not a lot of room in there. Still I could be wrong.

I wish I could see the rest of the firlm-roll on some of these behind the scenes photos. Maybe they're not great pictures, but I bet I could learn a lot from them. Does anyone know where these pictures originated from? Lucasfilm archives or something? I know some of them have been mentioned as appearing in Eurpean magazines, but where did they obtain them?
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:24 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #30

@superjedi

Hey, actually that is super helpful. I just noticed that two of the panels on Han's side look like they could be identical to their ANH counterparts. I have to compare some notes, but that would be amazing, since those two panels are mostly obscured or out of focus throughout ANH.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:42 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #31

I just did some cross-checking, and it looks like, aside from a few extra blinky lights and square light/button color changes, the panels are the same.

any body got screen caps of this area?

Can anyone make some!?
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 9:02 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #32

More pictures as promised

From
    New York
    Dec 10, 2010, 3:43 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #33

Looking good Steve!! I think the hardest part will be the ceiling
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 10, 2010, 9:46 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #34

Working on some of those asymmetrical panels behind han and chewie.

about the ceiling: you're telling me, faustus. The ceiling panels themselves won't be impossible, there are some decent, if shadowy, views of them. The real trick will be the cluster of levers and I-don't-know-what-else that's nestled into the overhead of the canopy...

Maybe I'll give myself a break from all these lights and switches and work on the broad strokes of the corridor.
    Dec 10, 2010, 2:59 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #35

The bare wood paneling there, as contrasted to the black, is the new section.
    ? The ANH set was not leftover for ESB. It was remade from scratch.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 10, 2010, 3:12 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #36

oh, I just meant 'new' as in added to the design. I knew that they made an all new cockpit for ESB, but I think they used the exact same blueprints--with a few modifications like extra depth. All guessing of course.

I'm also starting to wonder if some of the panels for the ANH interior were saved and reused in the ESB cockpit. There are one or two that are very dead on, where everything else has changed. Maybe I'll put together a comparison to show what I mean.
  12. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    Dec 10, 2010, 7:23 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #37

I agree. I find it hard to believe they would have started from scratch and remade the seats as well?
    From
    Nashville, TN
    Dec 10, 2010, 11:50 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #38

SteveStarkiller said: View Post
    I just did some cross-checking, and it looks like, aside from a few extra blinky lights and square light/button color changes, the panels are the same.

any body got screen caps of this area?

Can anyone make some!?
    http://fullscalefalcon.com/reference...ot_detail1.png

http://fullscalefalcon.com/reference...ot_detail2.png

http://fullscalefalcon.com/reference...e_switches.png
  14. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    Dec 11, 2010, 12:31 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #39

Looks like some kind of power curve graph display inside that "scanner" box or whatever it is on the pilot's side.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 11, 2010, 9:53 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #40

TK-326, thanks a ton for those, they will be very helpful. In the meantime here's some corridor work.

and a bonus cutaway view of how much corridor I've completed. Who knows how far this will go.

None of these angles would actually fit in a ship; just to be clear I'm not trying to solve the ship of riddles (although I almost tried, and was just barely pulled back from the brink) These dimensions and angles are all screen-based, trying to figure out what the set might have looked like.

link below for extra large version.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5048/...9495c6b1_o.jpg
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 12, 2010, 12:40 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #41

From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 12, 2010, 9:34 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #42

just a few more.

18. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 12, 2010, 9:45 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #43

superjedi said: View Post

Is that the dice hanging in that shot?
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 12, 2010, 9:53 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #44

I've been wondering that myself. It would put a hole in the idea that the dice only appeared once. If it isn't the dice though, it could be the grips of a couple of the levers that are just out of frame in that area
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 13, 2010, 9:38 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #45

top row almost complete.

I can't tell if I should work on ceiling panels now, and get them out of the way, or finish up all the lower, more easily referenced panels first.

Do the hard stuff now, so the easy stuff seems easier vs. do the easy stuff and work my way up to the hard stuff so that it's easier?

hmm, also all my switches now look like buttons with soft shadows...gotta make the toggles darker I think.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 13, 2010, 11:33 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #46

Main console nearing completion

From
    New York
    Dec 14, 2010, 3:54 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #47

Really beautiful work!! And a lot of fun to watch it all coming together
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 14, 2010, 7:38 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #48

thanks faustus.

here's a rough mock up of the back chairs, just trying to see how they'll fit

From
    Canada
    Dec 14, 2010, 9:21 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #49

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I'm watching this thread as I LOVE this ship!

GOOD JOB MAN!
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 14, 2010, 1:17 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #50

One more that I left rendering when I went off to work.