Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Steve, you’ve been consistently blowing me away with your work. Every day I look forward to your thread to see what else you’ve come up with and it’s always something more than I expect. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

Same Here. Such a treat everytime I visit the RPF. SO much work completed so quickly!

I'm itching to seem some turret action soon.

Nick

hey thanks. There's still more to come!

I forgot that I haven't done any renders with the new nav chairs in place. plus I gotta finish up those panels in the cockpit. I think my vacation in Main-Hold/Docking Bay 94 has gone on long enough. Time to get back to reality...sort of.

did you guys see the new docking bay renders I posted a page back, before the medbay mock up? Never got a response to those, just wanted to make sure I showed them off sufficiently.

Thanks again folks!

Last edited:
shoot, I kinda wished you hadn't posted those Nick, now I'm itching to do some turret work myself. There's a lot of detail in there, almost as much as the full cockpit! yarg!

You build too fast to comment on everything I guess. :)

In fact, the new posts comes up so fast it feels like watching a show! You just sit down, be quiet and let the performance happen.

Has anyone ever figured out what computer keyboard they used on the falcon set?

attachment.php

Nick

Last edited:
Love that cockpit mockup!
I think a physical model of that portion of the Falcon, scaled to the size of the 5' ILM bird (or even larger) would be fantastic!

Just a point of interest regarding the Turret bays.

The sets were built tapered from front to back, to give a sence of dept. The graphics I made do not show this but when I built my bay for my AMT it was tapered.

I have some set pics I will post tomorow when I have access to my haed drive.

Ozzy

thanks Ozzy,

doing this at work, so no access to my usual programs, but these are my quick notes on the basic shape of the turret interior. anything look off?

5448669594_c74790d505_b.jpg

Last edited:
the first one is a scan from the old Stalog magazine the Star was Technical journal. I sent that to Oz a while back. It's avtually an insert from the updated special edition copy of the mag that came out in 1997. They later published them as a hardback book.

wish someone could rapid proto your cockpit and gunwells in 1/48 for my SMT Falcon.

Bam,!!!!! nailed it first go Steve. great stuff. I havnt been on the net this much in ages, think you have sparked my motivation for falcon building again LOL.

Ohh, and is your cockpit shell based on the original full sized set plans, as when I made my graphics up, I used those, but always had trouble with the 3 level floor, in particular under and around the console, I see yours is shaped differently at the base were the 3rd level does not extend the full length under the console. It leaves room for legs! Hmmm does that make sense?

Yep, I had a close up of the top pic, which lacked some of the detail, Paul supplied some great reference shots. The second pic with the note, is from another member from SSM "SGluedMyFingers" were he points out the the edge of the panels with the greebles at the back are touching and have a gap at the front, showing the panels are rectangle and the octagon shell tapers from front to back.

Ozzy

Thanks Ozzy, and don't worry about the thread hijacking, because that great model has been a continuing inspiration to me, so it's relevant to the thread.

Yes, I used a copy of the production plans for the cockpit shell. I noticed some differences between the plans and the actual set. So, as you know, there are three floor levels in the plans, base floor, a six inch step up to the nav chairs and a six inch step up to the pilot's chairs/console, but there's actually a fourth level. Another six inches were added underneath the console and pilot's chairs, and then the console itself was raised up another two or three inches and pivoted back so that the center surface was horizontal and just below level with the center line of the cockpit. My guess has been that they built the thing from the plans the first time around, and then found out they'd be working with Peter Mayhew, and went back to the drawing board.

By the way, the gun turrets that I ended up with are more or less dead on to the second set of plans I posted up. Anyone is free to use those if they're working on their own scale turrets.

5450864272_7a767da1e2_o.jpg

Ozzy, I've seen that model. It's amazing. That guy is a maniac!
Personally, I wouldn't have anywhere to display something like that in 1/12 scale, but a similar concept maybe to the scale of the regular action figures would be sweet!
If a 3/34" figure was 6' tall, how big would the outside diameter of the cockpit tube be? According to the old blueprints, an inside diameter of 8' is given. In that scale, that would come out to 5".

Last edited:
Superjedi, the mockup of the scaled cockpit I posted is designed to fit inside a six inch tube (with a 1/8" thickness) making it almost the right scale for 3 3/4" figures.

by my calculations, a cockpit with a scale of 1':2/3" (my scale cockpit) would only make 3 3/4" figures look about two or three inches (of their scale 1':5/8") too short.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back