Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

I must say Steveo... you've done an excellent job so far... can't wait to see it all put together and fully rendered. I may have missed this but I use Cinema4D and TrueSpace for alot of my 3D work... what program are you using if I may ask?

Woah! thanks TK-326. From what I can make out of the ANH screen cap, it looks like it's probably the same greeble.

It's no wonder Han and Chewie were having so much difficulty fixing the Falcon on Hoth. She seems to have gone through one hell of an overhaul.

Where do you think they spent all the reward money they got and DIDN'T give Jabba? :)

yes, that is in fact the entry to the circuit bay, site of the famous kiss. I could never figure out where the hell any of that was going on when I was a kid. In fact, up until fairly recently I thought all the ESB shots were taking place in totally different parts of the ship. I don't think Kershner shot a single angle that was seen in ANH, not to mention that it's about 200% brighter--and even a little cleaner.

Brinn, Ha, I'd never thought of that before. He does get all the money he wanted in ANH, and yet Jabba still has Boba Fett hunting him down in ESB. I guess I never put two and two together. He really is a scoundrel I guess

Does anyone know the location where Han was working belowdecks in ESB ("that was no laser blast, something hit us!")?
I'd also love to see the gun turrets modeled out!

Does anyone know the location where Han was working belowdecks in ESB ("that was no laser blast, something hit us!")?
I'd also love to see the gun turrets modeled out!

That's in the main cargo bay where Luke is using the training remote in Star Wars because you see him get up and run down the cockpit tube.

Awesome job so far Steve... can't wait to see the bunks and teh engine core room thou... I think the core is gonna probably be the hardest section to make because it was never actually seen in any of the movies, althou there are several different layouts in various blueprint and cutaway books. Will be interesting to see! When you save your work what format is it saved in? OBJ, MAX, LWO?

Glad you guys like it, I for one am really excited to see these spaces come alive.

here's a new draft with work done to the ramp

YouTube - Millennium Falcon Walkthrough Revised Draft

I'm not sure I'll be doing any areas not shown in the movies, in order to stay true to the movie accurate boast of the thread title. It would be fun to do an engine room, and see if I could create spaces that looked like they might have appeared in the films. But for now I'm going to stick to a strict movie canon.

(to answer your question, lrdsatyr8, all the work is in sketchup format .skb)

Cool Steve... you using the pro version of the free version... if you're using the Pro version you can export the models in 3DS or OBJ format that can be used in several different rendering programs out there. If you're using the free version I know of a couple of free programs that can convert the SKB files to just about any other software (Rhino, 3DS Max, TrueSpace COB, Cinema4D etc...) Sketchup is a great freeware modeling program, but it's rendering engine leaves alot to be desired. You can get photorealistic renders out of Cinema4D or Max. Are you gonna make the model available when you're done with it? I'm sure it's just eating up mem/bytes in size as it is! :) BTW - Love the new ramp mod... looking great!

A long while back Robert Brown did a version of the Falcon's layout that makes the best sense to me. Basically the ship is bigger on the inside than the outside and some adjustments for scale needed to be made to make it work. This is what he came up with:

fliwsp.jpg

His original page can be found here thanks to the internet archive: STAR WARS: The Millennium Falcon If you look in the index you'll find John Benson's modified Millennium Falcon model. It's mine and I still have it.

brinn, check out the take off from Mos Eisley scene especially. When Ben and Luke are strapping in, there's a bowl with a spoon jumping up and down from the vibrations. There's also a cup on the Nav computer console.

in the meantime, here's a version of the walkthrough with the latest addition: I finally got around to adding the gun turret access ladder

YouTube - Millennium Falcon 3D Walkthrough

While I was modeling the rudiments of the gun turret interiors, I had occasion to notice another piece of the riddle: given the ladder orientation, which becomes "down" when Han and Luke climb into their seats, the guns would actually be attached to the outside of the hull pointing backwards, directly away from the cockpit, not to the bow of the ship. What a fun house. Anyway, enjoy!

Cessna driver, I'm sure that you are aware that there are neither bathrooms, nor underwear in space....

thanks, darthbrooks, I've enjoyed looking at that schematic many times.

lrdsatyr8, not sure I ever will be done...sharing is not out of the question though. After all, I hope that some of you guys with real model making skills will eventually use these details to bring my virtual work to life.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back