Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Man! I saw Episode 4, 5 and 6 with my kids today & I was thinking to myself.. I wonder when he's going to add the details to the seats? : )
Looks great!!!!

It does look great! I wonder how much geometry went into that couch alone...

jiminstlouis, at some point I'm going to overlay the silhouette of the FS Falcon just to show how far off it is. I like the analogy of 10lbs of ship in a 5lb shell, I keep trying to get into the heads of the designers to figure out their logic for these discrepancies, but I don't think I should try. Some of it is so dead on, and deliberately correct, and then the rest of it is just miles off. For guys who detail the back of doorways you never see with greebles, I just can't figure out what happened.

manfromnaboo, thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to try some of these out!

tek2graphics, glad to hear some kids are getting raised right these days, heh. At some point, I'm going to have to make the couch a lot dirtier. It's too clean right now. I'm assuming this is the condition Han received it from Lando. When Lando said "What have you done to my ship!?" I don't think he realized just how bad it had got...

primer, thanks! I don't think I even want to know how many verticies there are in this thing, but I've definitely crashed my renderer a couple times because it had too many...

I keep trying to get into the heads of the designers to figure out their logic for these discrepancies, but I don't think I should try.

Yeah, I don't think you should try. It probably has more to do with the production of the film than the accuracy of the physics involved.

At some point, I'm going to have to make the couch a lot dirtier. It's too clean right now.

I love the clean look! I keep imagining that's what it would be like to go to the YT-1300 dealership and walk through a new ship for the first time.

that'd be a great side by side Before and After sequence.

I think one of my favorite details of the falcon is the dishes left everywhere. You see junk ships all the time in other sci-fi's that are all scrap and boilerplate, but Han's got cups and bowls all over the place, you really believe he lives out of his ship.

Is there much of a difference is usability between the free and pro versions of Sketchup?

Seems like the Pro functions are for presentations and other very side related stuff.

Nick

Han "I'd like to install the family holochess option"
dealer "So you have a family then? How many members are there in your family?"
Han "Myself, a Wookie, and No Questions Asked..."

Is there much of a difference is usability between the free and pro versions of Sketchup?

Seems like the Pro functions are for presentations and other very side related stuff.

Nick

I think you can start with the standard version, no need for the pro version except for better export/import of 3D data and the layout features.

I agree, no need for pro (although I did find out the newest pro version has a bunch of great cut and intersect tools, but I'm willing to bet they'll make it into the free version eventually). It's incredibly powerful for a free program.

5388248355_3b08c7c88d_o.jpg

Hmm. There aren't any good views of those on line but from this shot, they don't look like lights. If I had to label them, I would call them something like "Energy Conduit Power Taps" or some techno-babble like that.

Falcon_smuggling_compartment.jpg

PDVD_016.jpg

they're definitely backlit, but I think I agree with you that they're not, themselves, lights. Energy conduits sounds kind of right. Maybe they're power outlets so you can run heavy equipment off the ship's reactor. But why so many of them?

Whatever that greeble is on top of the grid, it's always reminds me of the "charge" bomb that Han affixes to the ceiling of the shield generator room in ROTJ

Great shot! You really nailed it in your render. Good point about the number of them. Maybe they could be called "Power Flow Control Packs", that controls the flow of power through the energy conduit to different systems of the ship as needed. They would be automatic but could be overridden and manually adjusted in emergencies.

I was wondering, when your model is complete, will there be a video that walks us through the entire ship?

Here's the best closeup I have of the hallway "light" fixtures (from ESB).
Kinda reminds me of a distributor cap from an car's engine.

Woah! thanks TK-326. From what I can make out of the ANH screen cap, it looks like it's probably the same greeble.

It's no wonder Han and Chewie were having so much difficulty fixing the Falcon on Hoth. She seems to have gone through one hell of an overhaul.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back