Original ANH Stormtrooper helmet and Armor - Just the Facts

Wow it just keeps getting worse! That interview really is disgusting and not only dishonours Liz but everyone else on the production. Gives new meaning to one man StarWars. :rolleyes

Doesn't this statement essentially go in the face of a LOT of photographic evidence that would indicate the bulk of the troopers were painted HDPE? Is this new or has Andrew been making this claim from the beginning?

That is a letter from him from 2005 when he was getting hammered by a large number of us on the board at the time about the original molds and the type of material the helmets were made from. He said only 6 were HDPE and the nearly 50 others were ABS. When in fact its probably the reverse of that.

I have one of the threads saved down in e-mails from back then of us trying to show people that in our opinion he was not selling accurate helmets from the original mold and was lying about everything. Of course there were 3 or 4 people staunchly defending him for some reason. They know who they are.

His story from the beginning was that he sculpted the helmets, vac-formed maybe 6 or so out of HDPE and painted them white so that George could quickly take them back to Hollywood to show the executives at Fox in order to get funding for the movie. :lol

He was basically taking credit for Star Wars getting funded and made.

Its a story too laughable even at the time and in my opinion was the last big indicator to me he was a fraud.

As to what he says now about the material used is anyones guess.

"Well, 30 years passed and I decided to reintroduce the Stormtrooper for the memorabilia market. George Lucas’ licensing people rang me up and said, “Who the hell are you?” I said, “I’m the guy who sold you all those characters 30 years ago. Who are you?” They said, “We are the guys who have registered these designs as ours and sold licenses on them for the past 30 years ($14 billion worth), and now we are going to put you out of business!”

ha ha ha ha ha

ohh and to get back on topic - Thanks Liz and Brian for all your great work :)

screenshot20101207at833.png

Last edited:
Another Ainsworth Interview

All I can say is that AA is a delusional and sick puppy... What a whack job...

The only good thing to come out of this entire AA roller coaster has been the public disclosure that Liz was responsible for the iconic trooper design, thank you Brian for spreading/making that public knowledge so she finally gets her credits...

I have one of the threads saved down in e-mails from back then of us trying to show people that in our opinion he was not selling accurate helmets from the original mold and was lying about everything. Of course there were 3 or 4 people staunchly defending him for some reason. They know who they are.

I think it would be great fun (and nostalgic) for you to post that for all to see again. So many people forget or weren't around during this time in rpf/star wars prop/history.

There you go exaggerating again! ;)

You can question the marketing techniques, but the fact is that if something is made in limited quantities, is priced accordingly, and comes with some sort of certificate it is designed to be a "collectible" and those buying them are likely going to purchase them based on that designation. There are people who are going to buy those who will put them on a shelf, and look at them lovingly because they have a limited edition, decent quality Stormtrooper helmet based on the originals. It doesn't really matter if they are the very best available or not.

Tried. Failed. :lol Though maybe I missed it somewhere.

"stormtrooper helmet" - Google Search

I went three pages and still didn't find a link to Ainsworth on Google. However, there were a bunch of eFX links.

Fair enough comparison. Though, I'm guessing 90% of those in the market for a Stormtrooper helmet wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and if they did their research and the details really mattered, wouldn't bother with either!

I'm not exaggerating the eFX CE has zero in common with the original helmets.
Materials,construction,overall shape,details and finish are all way off you only need to glance at them to see that.

They are not based on the originals.

Try Google UK it's right there page one.

Yeah 90% of people don't care but that still leaves 10% and that's a good money spinner, if it weren't do you think Ainsworth would still be producing these products and have gone through a huge legal battle that could have seen him penniless ?
Ainsworth is in it for no other reason than money, if he wasn't making any from it he wouldn't be doing it.
And the BS on his website helps him make those sales or he wouldn't make those claims either.

The lawsuit LFL filed was for using their design and property, and Ainsworths defence was that the design was not their property as it's an industrial design and after a number of years anyone is free to reproduce an industrial design.
And that's what he won on, he would still win even if he hadn't claimed he designed it.

The bullcrap on his site about him sculpting the helmet is nothing more than marketing to give the illusion of greater involvement to bring in sales.

Seems like Giger didn't think much of him either on Alien.

Of course because he was jealous that Ainsworth's designs where better than his, and Ainsworth's ideas are actually what Ridley Scott decided to use instead. The Alien creature was all Ainsworth's idea that Giger took credit for!!!
:wacko

I'm not exaggerating the eFX CE has zero in common with the original helmets.
Materials,construction,overall shape,details and finish are all way off you only need to glance at them to see that.

Def, you know I love ya - and this is all completely friendly - but I don't think you can say "zero" as an absolute real quantifiable figure. The originals were white, the CE's are white, so that's something in common... The originals had two lenses, the CE's have two lenses... But again, not sure why you're comparing a mass item really made for the costumers and budget collectors out there.

If your issue is with eFX, then really you should be comparing the originals to the Limited Editions/PCRs. It seems your issue is with the marketing, but in this description off the eFX site, I don't see where they "trick" anyone into thinking that they were cast from an original:

In commemoration of the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, our newest product in our incredible Precision Cast Replica (PCR) line is the Stormtrooper helmet as seen in The Empire Strikes Back. Made of high quality, light weight injection molded ABS, makes this helmet ideal for both displaying and "trooping"

Fearless and unswervingly loyal to the Emperor, Stormtroopers are the most recognized symbol of Imperial might in the Star Wars saga. Encased in white armor over a black bodyglove, Stormtroopers make up the bulk of Palpatine's ground-based armies and the space-based Imperial starfleet.

Their fearsome looking helmets allow the Stormtroopers to breath in the harshest of environments, including the vacuum of space. They are also equipped with long range communications, ensuring that these elite shock troopers can be deployed with speed and efficiency to quell insurrections and maintain order across the man worlds of the Empire.

This is the marketing copy on their own website.

If anything, I give eFX props for reaching out to this very community for help in developing and accurizing their products.

And again, when you say they're useless to 10 percent - 10 percent of what? The collectors out there? The RPF? Star Wars collectors? Kids? Costumers? If they 100% percent sold out, then they were 100% useful to some group.

And speaking of numbers - when talking about shape (and just shape) - is the half circle 50% "accurate" to the circle on the right?

circles.gif

Just thinking out loud, and again mean this in a friendly, spirited tone.

:cheers

Def, you know I love ya - and this is all completely friendly - but I don't think you can say "zero" as an absolute real quantifiable figure. The originals were white, the CE's are white, so that's something in common... The originals had two lenses, the CE's have two lenses... But again, not sure why you're comparing a mass item really made for the costumers and budget collectors out there.

If your issue is with eFX, then really you should be comparing the originals to the Limited Editions/PCRs. It seems your issue is with the marketing, but in this description off the eFX site, I don't see where they "trick" anyone into thinking that they were cast from an original:

This is the marketing copy on their own website.

If anything, I give eFX props for reaching out to this very community for help in developing and accurizing their products.

And again, when you say they're useless to 10 percent - 10 percent of what? The collectors out there? The RPF? Star Wars collectors? Kids? Costumers? If they 100% percent sold out, then they were 100% useful to some group.

And speaking of numbers - when talking about shape (and just shape) - is the half circle 50% "accurate" to the circle on the right?

circles.gif

Just thinking out loud, and again mean this in a friendly, spirited tone.

:cheers

Thats cool Willie but i didn't make the comparison i was arguing that you can't compare the eFX CE precisely because it is a budget innacurate item aimed at casual fans rather than serious collectors.

Not sure where the useless comment comes from i don't think i said anything about useless did i ? regardless the 90%-10% were not mine either that was the figures SFPROPS quoted when he said 90% of casual fans will be happy with an eFX Ce helmet and not know the difference, so i replied stating that it still leaves 10% for AA to market at.

Personally i'm not a fan of placing a percentage value on accuracy i don't really do that but others do, that's why i said the materials,construction etc are all way off as that is a statement of fact i didn't say it's x percentage accurate.

Also i stated that the CE is not based on the original helmets in reply to SFPROPS saying they are.
Granted eFX haven't stated that they are either but SFPROPS must have gotten the impression from somewhere that they are, i would wager this is from the marketing that eFX/MR used for the LE helmets where they state they took a scan from a Hero helmet and moulds from a stunt to make their LE helmet, which judging by the product they didn't use or binned because that helmet is nowhere close to accurate either.

Of course because he was jealous that Ainsworth's designs where better than his, and Ainsworth's ideas are actually what Ridley Scott decided to use instead. The Alien creature was all Ainsworth's idea that Giger took credit for!!!
:wacko

Sorry but comparing Ainsworth to the genius of Giger is stupid.Giger designed the Alien creatures before the Alien movie was even thought about.Ridley Scott got hold of Gigers works and brought him on-board to sculpt the Alien based on his earlier paintings.Ainsworth couldn`t sculpt a monkeys ass if he tried to.

This painting is Gigers from 1976 depicting his Alien creature from his Necronom IV.
hrgigernecronomiv.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but comparing Ainsworth to the genius of Giger is stupid.Giger designed the Alien creatures before the Alien movie was even thought about.Ridley Scott got hold of Gigers works and brought him on-board to sculpt the Alien based on his earlier paintings.Ainsworth cauldn`t sculpt a monkeys ass if he tried to.

This painting is Gigers from 1976 depicting his Alien creature from his Necronom IV.
hrgigernecronomiv.jpg

He was being sarcastic i think :lol

Ahh, okay, gotcha - I should have read the thread a little better - I think this is what tripped me up:

Yeah 90% of people don't care but that still leaves 10% and that's a good money spinner, if it weren't do you think Ainsworth would still be producing these products and have gone through a huge legal battle that could have seen him penniless ?

I didn't know what "90% of people" meant - the term 'useless' was my own interpretation.

Again, having worked in licensed replicas - I've always been confused by placing "quantifiables" (numbers) on abstracts (art). Certainly an interesting concept and debate...

...for those smarter then me, lol.

No worries - cheers and beers!

Sorry but comparing Ainsworth to the genius of Giger is stupid.Giger designed the Alien creatures before the Alien movie was even thought about.Ridley Scott got hold of Gigers works and brought him on-board to sculpt the Alien based on his earlier paintings.Ainsworth cauldn`t sculpt a monkeys ass if he tried to.

hrgigernecronomiv.jpg

That's what SF was going for, how ridiculous that notion is. He knows, we all know that Giger created the alien- what he's saying is that Ainsworth probably thinks that he gave Giger the idea and all that... Wouldn't surprise me with all the delusions the man is living under right now, thinking he's the creator of the original Alien :lol

EDIT: Darn my slow-typing fingers. Yeah, what defstar said.

Hey, no problem. It's just not a stretch to believe that my scenario could be real, in Ainsworth's mind. All evidence supports the idea that Lucas spent A LOT of time on pre-production with an eye on detail with experience designers/sculptors working with him to get his vision correct.

The idea that some plastic pond manufacturer was the one secretly coming up with all the designs, despite there being production art showing these creations being fleshed out way before he was involved, borders on insanity.

..and the idea that just because something is realized in 3 dimensions by a manufacturer, it gives them carte blanch to the "industrial design" is an absurd implementation of copyright law. Based on that interpretation, the courts have pretty much gave the go ahead for people to start selling unlicensed products from properties like the Baker era Doctor Who without fear. That is, if they are going to be consistent I think.

..and the idea that just because something is realized in 3 dimensions by a manufacturer, it gives them carte blanch to the "industrial design" is an absurd implementation of copyright law. Based on that interpretation, the courts have pretty much gave the go ahead for people to start selling unlicensed products from properties like the Baker era Doctor Who without fear. That is, if they are going to be consistent I think.

Well that is the law and it not only gives him carte blanche to continue making stormtrooper armour and helmets it gives anyone carte blanche to, it's free for anyone to use at least in the UK.
LFL argued that the props were an artistic design Ainsworths side argued it was an industrial design and won.
And industrial designs are only protected for a certain number of years.

I think it would be great fun (and nostalgic) for you to post that for all to see again. So many people forget or weren't around during this time in rpf/star wars prop/history.

I would almost agree, but it would needlessly stir up some bad juju. I know who they are, you know who they are and for the most part, they have done a solid 180. Either that, or have shut up about it.

Still think it would be interesting to see what was being said at the time vs our recollections. Especially for those who weren't around at the time.

Yeah and while we're at it, let's re-hash all the bad memories of jerks who have harmed our hobby in some way!!!! On second thought, maybe not poking the hornet's nest is the way to roll.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back