Original ANH Stormtrooper helmet and Armor - Just the Facts

It has no bearing on the court issues at this point, once the courts ruled it industrial design, the copyright had expired so they didn't pursue who 'had' owned the copyright as it was ruled expired and thus no ownership at this point...

Precisely. Questions of fact were dealt with at trial; not entirely satisfactorily but dealt with none the less

Who sculpted it was pretty irrelevant (legally at least) in any case as the trial judge stated any rights which might have vested in the designs, no matter who was responsible for them, belonged to Lucasfilm. If the ruling is overturned and copyright does attach it belongs to Lucasfilm not Ainsworth.

All that's argued at appeal are points of law, and whether they were correctly decided.

Yes thanks just googled and found out about the 3 day arguments.

Still hoping for a day by day recap though! :lol

It'd be very technical and for everyone not particularly interested in the niceties of English copyright law or the enforceability of US law in the UK, very dull.

At this point the fact this is a case about Star Wars is of little importance: it merely provides the context.

It maybe dull to you but not to most members of the board. :rolleyes

It'd be very technical and for everyone not particularly interested in the niceties of English copyright law or the enforceability of US law in the UK, very dull.

At this point the fact this is a case about Star Wars is of little importance: it merely provides the context.

It maybe dull to you but not to most members of the board. :rolleyes

The subject matter may interest the membership here, but I'd be very surprised if more than a handful found the legal minutiae being discussed this week anything other than deathly dull. This is pretty technical stuff and without a good underlying grasp of the issues quite hard to follow.

I'm probably one of the few here who is genuinely interested in the mechanics underlying the decision, whatever it may be, and I'm waiting to read the judgment before I delve back into the issues in any depth.

So when will this case be over? This week? The next week? Are there some special procedures in the court before the conclusions are drawn?

So when will this case be over? This week? The next week? Are there some special procedures in the court before the conclusions are drawn?
Again, as DPP is saying, this will be weeks upon weeks. Don't expect instant results in a situation like this.

Apparently there will be a six week wait now while the 5 Law lords make a decision.......

"Law Lords", kinda fitting don't you think??? :lol

This is a fascinating and dramatic story; certainly more interesting than the prequel trilogy.

I'm certainly convinced, from the evidence put forward in this thread, that the original artist was Liz Moore. Andrew Ainsworth comes across as a disreputable and unsavoury character. It's a shame he could not be content with the credit he deserves for his actual contribution to the films - he still managed to get the helmets and armour made and delivered to a tight schedule.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the judgment. As much as I dislike IP law, I'll make an exception for this case.

For those who may be interested, you can track the case on the Supreme Court website.

The Supreme Court - Case details

On a personal note, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Brian Muir. 10 years ago I got engaged in a conversation with a young lady about the Vader mask. 10 months later she agreed that, as Vader himself was unlikely to propose to her, she'd have to make do with me instead :love.

Without that conversation-inspiring artwork we would have gone our seperate ways without speaking a word. So, Brian, thank you!

This is a fascinating and dramatic story; certainly more interesting than the prequel trilogy.

I'm certainly convinced, from the evidence put forward in this thread, that the original artist was Liz Moore. Andrew Ainsworth comes across as a disreputable and unsavoury character. It's a shame he could not be content with the credit he deserves for his actual contribution to the films - he still managed to get the helmets and armour made and delivered to a tight schedule.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the judgment. As much as I dislike IP law, I'll make an exception for this case.

For those who may be interested, you can track the case on the Supreme Court website.

The Supreme Court - Case details

On a personal note, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Brian Muir. 10 years ago I got engaged in a conversation with a young lady about the Vader mask. 10 months later she agreed that, as Vader himself was unlikely to propose to her, she'd have to make do with me instead :love.

Without that conversation-inspiring artwork we would have gone our seperate ways without speaking a word. So, Brian, thank you!

I agree this saga makes for a good story with many twists and turns and the Supreme Court Judgement will finally bring it to its final conclusion - one way or another.

There are many reasons why Ainsworth lied and continues to lie about his involvement in the creation of the Stormtrooper helmet and armour. His false claims of 'creator and original moulds' allowed him to dupe fans into buying (and continue to buy) his products at inflated prices. Would he have had a lucrative business if he told the truth of where he obtained the suit he sells as 'original'?

I had a fan ask me last week to sign a photo for 2 friends who were getting married and they were both Star Wars enthusiasts but this is the first time that I have been thanked for helping to bring 2 people together :)

I wish you both every happiness for the future!

Was listening to Bloomberg radio late last night and they had a story about the court case and an interview with Ainsworth. He certainly is good at spinning things to make himself out to be the wronged party. Someone who heard that broadcast and didn't know better would sympathise with him. At least I know the facts and can see thru his BS. What a sorry excuse for a human being.

:lol
Was listening to Bloomberg radio late last night and they had a story about the court case and an interview with Ainsworth. He certainly is good at spinning things to make himself out to be the wronged party. Someone who heard that broadcast and didn't know better would sympathise with him. At least I know the facts and can see thru his BS. What a sorry excuse for a human being.

Link to interview (as shown on Original Prop Blog)

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...uit-uk-supreme-court-descision-still-pending/

In the interview Ainsworth states:

All I want is the principle of being able to make what I create myself. There shouldn’t be anybody in this world to be able to stop you being creative, or use your hands or your knowledge to do what you do for a living.

Bloomberg’s Louise Beale reports:

Ainsworth sells his stomtrooper suits for up to £1500 each, but claims that this battle is not about the money“.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back