Anh Star Destroyer Devestator Parts Map

Just got back from the exhibit, going through some of the material now (here's a crop from one of the images, click for full res):

ISD_turret_closeup.jpg

It's not the easiest thing to photograph under those conditions, but I think I came back with enough to get a solid look at the overall length/width using photogrammetry. I'll update as I make progress, and as I get all of the images online somewhere.

Cheers!

Just scored the Hasegawa 1/450 HMS Vanguard & 3 other early OOP Hasegawa 1/450 kits for a very good price.
The one I was after was the Vanguard which is used on the Devestator & extremely rare.
Getting the other 3's an awsome bonus.

You're going to want some parts from that Tirpitz as well - the 4-barreled brim trench guns and at least one part on the front of the superstructure are from the Tirpitz/Bismarck.

Hmmm.
Most of the map pictures aren't in their spots.
Ok I will update the maps.
Should be easier inserting with the new system.

Oh & this model is closer to 4' not 3'............................

Everything that I see so far in terms of my photogrammetry work puts the model at 48" (4') long, I'll have something definitive to show shortly. It's amazing how asymmetrical the bridge construction is when it's submitted to this type of scrutiny.

I'm having a heck of a time identifying the "fourth" canon turret:

unique_canon.jpg

I know that it's been said that it's a JGSDF, type 74, which is what it looks like, but I can't seem to find one that has the carved out "pockets" around the perimeter - anyone else have any luck? My search continues...

Yes. This was a big head-scratcher for me too! But, years ago, I found it in the Bandai 1/24 M60. It's made from the commander's cupola "mini turret" from that kit.

Note that it's NOT in the M60A1 kit. That kit has a different main turret and commander's turret.

What makes this part more difficult to ID was the fact that someone at ILM decided to file down the edges between the view ports. In other words, the unmodified part is circular.

-Marc

That's terrific, thank you! I was convinced that it was either a 1/72 or a 1/76 scale - I must have looked at a hundred kits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck finding a Bandai 1/24 M60. Last one I saw was $400 or so. You can find Entex Porsche's all the live long day, but the M60 (no bloody A,B,C, or D) is a tough one!

(I need one too, unnghh, so if you find it, cast the part? ;))

Will do. :)

Here's my low res photogrammetry build of the area:

photo_canons.jpg

I'll post the high res when it's done. It's VERY useful to be able to orbit around the model in 3D in terms of angles, measurements, etc. :)

I might be able to be coerced into loaning my M60 part(s) to Jason for casting. :)

However, I'm going to hold out until he finishes his T-16 Skyhopper kit. That way, he can return the Scotch tape spool that I loaned him already...

Yes, part(s), with an "s" - upon closer inspection there are more than one 1/24 M60 parts in there.

A couple more of my pics from the exhibit this year:

Detail:
DSC_2756_corrected.jpg

Wide:
DSC_2771_corrected.jpg

It was a challenge given the dark conditions and because I wanted to keep as much in focus as possible I used a fairly small aperture setting (f16 and up) so noise was unavoidable. If only they'd allow a tripod. :)

Update, parts added:

SD_Devastator_side_superstructure_research.jpg

Still looking to ID lots of parts, especially on the turrets themselves.

Good eye, thanks! I'll add it and update. Maybe I should use a higher res version of the image with all of the kit pieces numbered (whether they're identified or not) so that others can more easily contribute if they choose to.

Incidentally, is anyone aware of any of the old kit manufacturers that might be operating under a different name or if any of the old patterns have been sold to and are being used by a different manufacturer? I seem to recall reading something about old patterns in use under a different brand name a few years ago but I can't recall which manufacturer the post referred to.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back