How are model kits made?

christrom

Sr Member
A quick question for all of you...

I'm wondering how the big model making companies like Revell/airfix/tamiya etc start off their molding process? I know about the process of injection molding, but I was just curious about the 'master' sculpture which is the basis for the molds.
The reason for me asking is I recently purchased one of the F-toys models and I just could not believe how fine the detail on it was. It would be near impossible to sculpt this detail, or even scribe it to this level of accuracy. It got me thinking about models in general though: How is the 'master' made? Is it a clay sculpture or a metal sculpture which is then cast? Is it somehow scaled down to its final size - or are all masters created at their final size?

Thanks in advance! :confused

It used to be sculpted as a large wood master and scaled down to size,now it is CAD or CNC grown.A metal mold is then cut,and plastic injected into it.

Last edited:
The injection molding is basically the same as it is for most things like plastic lids, bottle caps, and such. I worked in a plant for a while that made all these and they said they could do model kit runs if they had to. You'd be amazed at the pressure those presses use to seal together when the plastic is injecting. it will literally flatten a quarter or in one case a person's arm. The foreman said they actually had to tear the doors off the machine so they could amputate the arm there because if they'd opened the press the person woulda bled out instantly.

Well,you heard it above(I'm a little late),but yeah....injection molds mnade today are all done via CAD/CAM designs in the computer and CNC's& EDM's into steel blocks.The old way of doing it (we're talikng 1950&60's technology) was to make a scaled up model be it of wood or something else,and then a pantigraph machine was used to machine the cavities.Injection molds cost thousands of dollars.As an example,I'm talking your "run of the mill" 1/24 scale car mold can be in the ball park of $50,000.00 easy unless by chance it is a re-issue of a company that bought out molds from another,re-tolled it,maybe added some extras to it,and re-polished the mold.It is still pricey, but the way they get costs down is by sheer numbers. Hundreds or even thousands of kits are produced to bring costs down to the average price of $20-$40 range for a 1/24 scale car kit.Otherwise...they'd probably cost close to $100 a pop(or more) be my guess.

Yea, I don't know if injection molding for something is THAT expensive... I know on a "standard" block, I can get two 12inch figures on the same mother mold for $18,000 here in FL - and then $10.00 a unit with a 1,000unit min. order...

But like everyone said above, it's a pretty intense thing - lotta weights and measures in the process... some cool ish...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back