WWII Sci-Fi Experimental Nazi Mech Suit

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Folks! Been a while since I posted anything here.

Some of you might remember this little short I posted a few months back called 1945A. It's an alternate history WWII sci-fi presentation I did:

YouTube - 1945A - WWII Sci-fi Film

I had to make some supplemental material for this project, which included a 1/6 maquette of an experimental German armored exoskeleton, or a "mech suit" to be simple. It's basically scratch built from PVC pipes and sheet styrene. Some of the greeblies are kitbashed from various German tank models and a few Gemini and Apollo spacecraft models as well. Afterwards I painted the whole thing and gave it some heavy weathering to show up on camera. I took a couple photos of it outdoors.

38_suit1.jpg

38_suit2.jpg

38_suit3.jpg

38_suit4.jpg

38_suit5.jpg

38_suit6.jpg

A little photoshop fun to make it look like a vintage photo:

38_oldphoto.jpg

A work-in-progress shot I took. You can see that the forearms are cannibalized fuel tanks from a 1/18 scale P-51 Mustang. The flamethrower tank is made from a bomb that came with the same model. The claw on his left arm came off a 24" Masudaya Robbie the Robot figure:

32_workinprogress.jpg

38_moviephoto.jpg

Ill echo MooCriket!

The upper half of the exoskoleton looks awesome. To me the legs look difficult to wear though, more like a droid.

The pics are great!

Ill echo MooCriket!

The upper half of the exoskoleton looks awesome. To me the legs look difficult to wear though, more like a droid.

The pics are great!

Yes, definitely an awesome project!!!

I too noticed the legs probably being a little small and probably too tight, but heck, let´s pretend it´s a Nazi-Cyborg, makes it even more creepy!

:thumbsup I agree with everyone else, this is a very cool build and concept. The weathering is spot on. The tech represented definitely gives a 1940's "feel" and believeable Sci-Fi look.

I love the short, and have no problems with the legs. He could be bionic-ish from the waist down. Really nice work.

I think the suits Achille's heel might be the grenade garter. It'd definitely be on my shoot first list.

Thanks, folks. I agree that the anatomy of the suit looks kind of off. I could probably come up with something a little better if I didn't have to get this done in two weeks. Truthfully, the figure's legs CAN fit inside the pipes that I used to make the legs, but he can't wear shoes and his toes need to be pointed downwards like a ballerina to fit properly. So while it can technically fit a body inside, it would be extremely uncomfortable.

Great job! Question: Is this thing posable (like if you wanted to do stop motion) or is it a complete stationary model (without movable joints)?

It's minimally posable. There's some metal water heater hose in the joints so they can be bent to some degree for posing, but the paint will chip off if you bend them too much. It's not nearly limber enough for stop motion animation.

And it's about 14" tall.

Thanks for the info, Playskool. I was wondering about this as I know you used PVC on it as well, and I've been toying around with the idea of making a stop motion Mech puppet out of the same material.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back