16" Nautilus Model Build

LandronArtifact

Boy this sure is like the past repeating itself. Feels like only yesterday I built-up four of these babies for a fellow forum member (you know who you are). It's still in the early painting stages and I wish my camera took more accurate lighting and color so these photos don't reflect hardly at all what it really looks like but here it is as of now:

nautilusprogress01.jpg

nautilusprogress02.jpg

nautilusprogress03.jpg

nautilusprogress04.jpg

nautilusprogress05.jpg

nautilusprogress06.jpg

nautilusprogress07.jpg

-AL

workbench.jpg

More of it in progress.

helmandlevers.jpg

The helm and levers are finally in place. I need microscopic fingers to do this, but somehow I made it happen. :lol:
I painted the deck floor a light gray (for easier visibility through the viewports) and added dots of black paint with a toothpick to simulate a grate pattern.

helmandlevers02.jpg

wheelhouse.jpg

Applied the viewport windows to the wheelhouse. Still needs the floodlights.

wheelhousetestfit03.jpg

wheelhousetestfit01.jpg

Test-fitting the wheelhouse. Fits like a glove!

wheelhousetestfit02.jpg

Almost there. I also just completed a custom stand for it which is just about ready for priming and painting. Stay tuned.

-AL

Beautiful work Al! I have the same model, but haven't had the time to tackle it yet. Your images are very inspiring. Thanks!

I just put together this model over the summer, honestly one of my favorite display pieces and all of the pieces fit together perfectly. I hated the base for it tho, it made it look too cheap IMO, so i built a custom base for mine. I really like the way yours is coming out good luck!

Finally done!!!! I decided to make a custom stand for it from a pre-cut wood piece from my local craft store and gave it a faux patina bronze finish. The rivets were created by, get this... teddy bear eyeballs! :eek THE HORROR!!!

16inchnautilus01.jpg

16inchnautilus02.jpg

16inchnautilus03.jpg

16inchnautilus05.jpg

16inchnautilus07.jpg

16inchnautilus08.jpg

16inchnautilus09.jpg

16inchnautilus10.jpg

16inchnautilus11.jpg

16inchnautilus12.jpg

16inchnautilus13.jpg

16inchnautilus14.jpg

-AL

Nicely done! Even the teddy bear eyes. Although if I recall this kit came with quite a few eyes, so you maintained the theme with your build. :thumbsup

turned out grate Al.....the Eye's have it! funny, as least they used to do this...the rest of the navigational lights are doll eyes with the tops cut off, least for the older 16" ers

Will

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back