My First Attempt at Sculpting from Scratch - WiP

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
OK, this is for a gift. I've sculpted details onto other things, mostly when customizing action figures. I've never sculpted anything completely from scratch. I decided to give it a try because the character isn't as detailed as some, and it would be a good starting point. Can you tell who it is from the "in progress" pics? (Note-I still have to add several details before baking the clay, molding, and casting in resin. It's all different colors because I was basically using scraps of clay stuck together)

040.jpg

042.jpg

046.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

Cheshire Cat perhaps?
Definately a cat though, the proportions look good, great first sculpt Lois.
Cheers, JT

The way you presented the progress pics makes it look that much more like Chesire cat revealing himself like the movies!

What an awesome gift, super jealous of the recipient.

Cool, thanks. It is the Cheshire Cat, glad the face turned out to be recognizeable. I'm not sure how well the tail and ears will turn out if I try to cast it all as one piece. I'll either make a separate mold, or just add them onto the resin head/body using Magic-Sculp.

this is brilliant. there is a product called plasilline which is not as sticky as plasticine and easier to sculpt with and is usually white. it's also resistant to silicone so can be moulded. you can smooth it off with a soft brush and white spirits.

Here is the finished Cheshire Cat:
wonderland6.jpg

wonderland4.jpg

Made him a friend, too
wonderland10.jpg

The cat is actually a little big to be in scale with Alice, but I wanted to make a slightly larger sculpt.
wonderland11.jpg

wonderland13.jpg

wonderland12.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back