Why is this forum here? How does this forum work?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Why is this forum here?

Movies, television shows, and other media are the source of most of the prop, costume, and model discussion found on this site. It if often our love for a particular movie that inspires us to take a closer look at the props used in that movie. In years past, we have relegated discussion of these subjects to our "Off-Topic" forum, but we feel our passion, celebration, and discussion of these subjects is very relevant to generating the inspiration that will ultimately result in more prop, costume and model discussion!

Beyond that, most of us like to keep up with the latest movie news and events and like to here about new movies coming up as well as sharing our thoughts about recent movies we have watched. There are of course thousands of sites that provide this type of platform, but among many here, the RPF is home and where they feel comfortable sharing their thoughts among friends and peers instead of strangers. The purpose of this forum is not to try to compete with the large movie news sites like superherohype, ain'titcoolnews, or any others, but to be a bit of an aggregator of such news that is shared among friends.

How does this forum work?

This forum operates more or less like every other forum on the site. However, we often see members posting essentially the same threads regarding movie news or reviews and we end up with multiple threads regarding the same subject. For this forum, we are going to handle this a bit differently. We, as a staff will either post, or edit/merge threads so that most movie specific discussion can be found in one of three threads. Lets take "Tron Legacy" for example.

Before Tron Legacy comes out, we will create a thread for Tron Legacy Movie Preview Discussion. As this is a preview discussion there WILL BE SPOILERS! If you don't want an upcoming movie "spoiled" for you, DON'T READ THE PREVIEW THREAD!!!

Once Tron Legacy comes out in theaters, a second thread will be created for Tron Legacy Movie Reviews. We will ask and enforce our members using the "Spoiler" tags built into vbulletin to hide potential spoilers. However, what a post author or we consider spoiler material and what you consider spoiler material might not be the same thing, so we are warning you now, if you read a review thread, there IS the possibility of you seeing spoiler information! We will try to keep it to a minimum, but we can't promise some things won't slip through the cracks.

Finally, as the need becomes apparent we will also create a general Tron Legacy Movie discussion thread which will also contain spoilers. We would encourage you NOT to view these threads if you haven't watched the movie as plot and potential spoilers will be openly discussed!

This is a new system and approach for us, and it may need to be modified over time, but as of now, this is how we plan to approach it. Does this mean these are the ONLY threads that will be allowed in the Movie forum? No way! You are free to create whatever movie-related threads you want, or more general threads like "top 5 movie" threads. However, just be aware that any movie specific threads you create MIGHT be merged into one of the above type threads to keep all the information together.

Just want to mention, this forum is a work in progress. We don't have it all nailed down yet, and as with most things, while we have a basic plan and outline, we are willing to allow this to grow organically and become what it will. Please be patient with us as we work out the details and feel free to post your thoughts and ideas along the way!

Good call, sir. Surely, in the 160 pages of OT threads that we went through, we pulled over a few we shouldn't have (and surely left a few that should have been moved). You are absolutely right on the thread you pointed out. It has been moved back to OT.

Would it be possible to re-order the Off-Topic forum above the Entertainment & Movie one?

I'm used to Off-Topic being at the top of that section, and it seems more logical. Doesn't matter if you can't. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

I just saw my Black Ops thread was moved over here and I was like really it's not a movie? Then I saw the real name is entertainment and movies. The link at the top below the banner states just movie so it is misleading a bit. Maybe rename the link to Entertainment-Movies and drop the forum part of it? You could remove "Props" off of 'Screen Used Props' to make more room. Or - you could just leave it as it is since now that I'm typing this all out, I'm asking a lot. :lol

This forum is a nice valve to let off steam and ***** about bad moments in film as well as praising today's Caesars.

"Today's Caesars" should remember what happened to Julius, too. No, he didn't open a pizza store chain. He was opened up with knives by former followers! Those who praise you today will skewer you online when you mess up bad.

Of course, as long as we keep things in perspective and remember these are just inconsequential crummy films with few lasting pieces of art then it's all okay!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back