Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Finished! pg 8

Re: Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger

Sorry to hear about your dremel. My rotary tool is my baby. I do so much with it, I dont know what I would do if it were to explode. Damn fine work by the way. Damn fine.:thumbsup

this is looking sweet, I've wanted to take a crack at this but I've been too busy.
Following this post to keep inspired.

cant wait to see the finished thing
looks good

Thats the only costume in the game that i really really wanted

Sorry to hear about your dremel. My rotary tool is my baby. I do so much with it, I dont know what I would do if it were to explode. Damn fine work by the way. Damn fine.:thumbsup

Hahaha :D i'm have to second this guy!
And since this is my first post in your thread i feel obliged to tell you that you've done a really good job! i've been following you from the start.

Big update!

First up,
a shot of some of the junk i thought may be useful for the 'details' of the helmet and mask.
(btw, i shared this costume on the bethesda official forums, Joshua Sawyer, the lead designer and project director of the fallout new vegas game gave me a fine compliment about it, so i've been extra motivated)
PA100595.jpg

i decided to try out gluing my pep files directly onto plastic and bandsaw cutting them.. not a bad result in the end, but extra sanding required to removed the paper later.

PA100596.jpg

i also began work on part of the right ear piece.
PA100597.jpg

and used a heat gun to heat a strip of plastic against the ear, and helmet, to create a support for some extra insurance it doesnt break off.
PA110614.jpg

and i've finished the left ear blub, which i don't seem to have a shot of right now.. it was half a clear Christmas bauble. (tis the season?)
i may add some holes into it do i don't get noise bouncing around as much inside the mask.
PA110613.jpg

ive made a sort of headset cable that will come out from the right earset, and plus into the mask around the right lower cheek.
it's got a piece of metal tubing around a small part of it to make it look more "natural" and actually a piece of existing tech.
PA110604.jpg

this is the makings of the larger camera on the side of the helmet.
PA110606.jpg

the switch could potentially work, and there is a plastic lens in the front of the camera.. if someone were to give me some advice on how to rig a simple LED setup connected to this switch, then i could easily have a working light for it.
to go with the eyes.

PA110607.jpg

i've taken a wireless network ariel and added a telescopic "thingy" to it, for the helmets ariel.

PA110608.jpg

slapped some bondo on the camera to improve the design, will wait for it to cure and then trim it down to a nicer shape.
PA110611.jpg

i'm a fan of striking the iron when it's hot, or rther, trimming the bondo when it's not yet hard.. with what you say? these handy tools.
PA110612.jpg

see bondo gets slowly harder (like i'm waiting for over a half hour right now for it to set enough that i can trim away at it like clay) my choices are, trim now or sand alot more later..

speaking of bondo.. denting a fiberglass helmet liner is not possible.. i tested this by giving it a god few whacks with a ballpeen hammer with no effect.. other than my wife laughing at me..

so i took a knife to the area, and cut a hole, as well as taped it over for my plan..
PA110605.jpg

i slapped a bunch of bondo into the hole, from the inside.

PA110609.jpg

and then pushed the other side of the hole a little with my finger.
no idea if this will work, but hopefully it will make a good looking dent in the helmet.. i feel like a post apoc bobba fett..

PA110610.jpg

now i've been planning on going for the colt single action route for my armaments.. but you know.. i've always liked the NCR flag..

PA110598.jpg

why buy one though.. when you can buy two, and cut the head off one, to stitch to the other!
PA110599.jpg

now, i need to add the lettering too.. i considered taking a few letters from the cut up flag, but i decided to use a test piece and see how well painters tape works on a flag, when you use that rubber paint plastidip spray.
PA110600.jpg

no bleed whatsoever!
PA110601.jpg

so lets use this knowledge for practical .. practice.
PA110602.jpg

needs some dirt, and bullets holes, tattered edges and such.. but i really like this, and it was very fast and very easy to do.
i could easily make more.

PA110603.jpg

got abit of a cold, so i've been slowing down.
as well as doing crack filling and making sure the seems between pieces seem seemless :lol
starting work on the main extension on the helmet.

PA120617.jpg

this is a shot much later in the progress, where i had extended the ear set on the right, and been adding alot of edges to places.
i would have posted afew more shots, but i was focusing on fighting my headache and doing the work, rather than photos at the time. so i plumb forgot.
PA120618.jpg

i drilled a hole in the headset for the ariel, but decided i didn't like the location, filled it with bondo, sanded it down, once it's painted, you wont be able to tell.
but the new location for the ariel is much better.
it has two joints of rotation, so it can be positioned in any direction or angle within it's half sphere of movement.
mostly it will be upright or just slightly to the side.

PA130621.jpg

you may notice the video cable running out of the headset, well it plugs into the cheek of the mask.
PA120619.jpg

a few more details have been added to the mask here. including some scratches and the weird dent that is on the right hand side of most of the pictures.

PA130620.jpg

the camera box has been trimmed and spruced up, it's just about ready for an LED.

PA130622.jpg

i've yet to decide if i should have the entire camera box removable, with earth magnets, or just have the battery pack thread through a hole in the helmet, and keep the battery on the inside of the helm.
but for now, it slides into place, and unless i shake it around a bunch, the camera box wont fall out.
PA130623.jpg

the headset fits pretty snug against the rest of the mask, if i add some black foam, after the paint job you wont be able to tell it's two separate pieces.

two shots, one with, one without flash, couldn't decide which to share, since ones alittle fuzzy.. so heres both.
oh, and that idea for the dent? worked out fine.
PA130624.jpg
PA130625.jpg

Looks very cool so far. can i send you all my stuff that needs pep'd? lol. The camera headset reminds me of one i saw on blowout at a discount store. It was from a GI movie toy with real camera and microphone. I should pick a few up after the holidays if they have them.

i've been deviating from the pep files a fair amount for the helmet (note, helmet and mask are two different entities), i've used a few basic shapes, but i've been trying to use some of the cool junk i find and set aside for projects, to add to the overall 'fallout' post apoc jury rigged feel.

All i can say is wow man i just got NV the other day and man this is spot on ever think of doing any of the weapons maybe a fat man ...hint hint lol

how are you planning to do the long coat btw? Just rewatched the vid and google some ref pics. The detail on the back of the coat is going to be fun!

Arr. I'm still on stuck on the helmet part. Maybe I should find one of those lining things! :u

well, i've been working on a slightly different goal, i spent a few hours consulting a friend, and he's pointed me in the right direction of some LEDs,

so one trip to Radioshack later, i started work.

PA140629.jpg

PA140630.jpg

PA140635.jpg

the goal is one Red and one Blue.
the lenses will come later.

heres a quick video showing the switch and brightness, i had to rub the LEDs with a fine grain sanding sponge to give them a bit of diffusion, otherwise i had a head cam that could blind people at a moments notice.

YouTube - New Vegas NCR Ranger helm, WIP

in regards to the Q about the long coat, i'm drawing a pattern based from a tunic i used for a scifi military dress uniform, with a much longer tail and see how it goes.
when i have the pattern cut i'll start taking pictures of the progress.

Well done! Looking forward to seeing the completed suit!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back