The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Serafino

Sr Member
I've been mulling this issue over again lately after some conversations with machinists. There are several issues to decide, such as material, finish, and certain details.

For starters, the original interconnects are made from a very special nickel alloy called Inconel. It's great for high-heat applications, but it's difficult and expensive to machine, and (not that it matters all that much) expensive to buy.

The one on the original prop is mostly very dark as we all know. Whether or not it is truly black doesn't matter--it's almost as dark as the booster, and that opens the question of how you get there.

Inconel doesn't oxidize black, but it can get coated in burned black 'stuff' through use. So far I have not seen an interconnect that is completely coated though, so it seems very likely that the prop emitter was made to look dark "somehow" by the prop people.

So here are the options as I see them, I'd like to hear what you all think.

Inconel--Lovely grey color and cool space-age conversation piece, but I suspect it would double the price point so that even offshore we're looking at $100-$150 prices. US-made we're talking $200-$250. But oh so cool. To get the final dark color it would most likely have to be painted, although individual experiments with smoke-blackening followed by clear-coating might be worthwhile. There are ways to blacken Inconel, but I doubt I can persuade NASA to help us out... ;)

Steel--Gives the right weight and a similar color, and it can be blackened chemically, which is convenient if not 'authentic'. Some people worry about corrosion but with proper care (and some museum-grade wax coating) I doubt there would be problems, and hopefully you've got a steel booster so you're already taking precautions, right? ;) We'd probably see prices ranging from $50 to $150.

Stainless Steel--some grades have a relatively grey color, and there's not much worry about corrosion, it's sorta-kinda related to Inconel if you use a chromium/nickel SS alloy. More difficult to machine than regular steels, we're probably looking at a range of $80 to $200.

Here's an original interconnect on the left, darkened from use and age, and a steel Obee1 replica. It would be fairly easy to darken the steel to come close to the grey of the original. I'm not sure any grade of SS could get that grey. The grey color is IMO important because it is what shows on the un-darkened face of the emitter on the original prop, you don't want it to be too light IMO.

My own vote would be for either Inconel or steel. What say you?

oborcomp5ov.jpg

Thanks Serafino for taking on the interconnector project and continuing with the booster project. :thumbsup Let me know if I can assist in any way. I vote for Inconel......and put me down for 2. :D

ATL Kenobi
Mike D.

Glad to see this project hit the light of day..

I like the Inconel myself. If your making the most accurate replica, make it out of the original material.

FB

Even the domestic price estimate for Inconel seems doable. I'm in for the real deal. The Obee1 was not stainless, I take it?

KD

I'm not particularly interested in acquiring an interconnect, but I too would say use the original material if possible.

If we (that is the fan prop community) offered a 100% accurate, functional replacement for a real Derwent interconnect, then people in the field of preserving/rebuilding those engines can actually benefit from our activities, rather than avoid us.

And the people who make sabre props will have something identical, and not just a "replica" made in a cheaper material.

I would vote for Inconel. If this run is not done in the original material, there will always be room for improvements and consequently the need for another run farther down the line.

my .02

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

In theory couldn't some be done in the inconel and some in steel all in the same run? Would it not just be a matter of swapping the material? That way those that can't afford the inconel could still get one.

dr_slurpee--possibly, I will look into that.

JHVanOphem--even working in the same material, there's a vast difference between producing a good replica and producing something which is aeronautical grade. I've spoken to a machinist who supplies parts for planes--in the resulting price range I seriously doubt I could find 10 buyers, and the people who fly the planes would laugh us out of the room since they have access to old/new parts still. I don't see any conflicts yet with people who fly the planes, so far the only source for these has been used ones out of reconditioned engines. With the flyers the new ones won't ever be on the table.

Darth Lars--plating what with what?

Killdozer--The Obee1 was just mild steel so far as I know. Their fine finish and the fact that they behave themselves so well with regard to corrosion (i.e. the lack thereof) has apparently led some people to think they were SS. ;)

It's awesome to hear people voting for Inconel. :D

Sorry to be different here, but I say steel. As far as I'm concerned, the accuracy is in the dimensions, not necessarily in the materials. We're talking different kinds of metals, not metal vs. plastic.

If I could get 2 accurate steel for the same price as 1 iconel, well then stell has my vote. If I don't have an original handwheel, booster, clamp or grenade, I'm not that worried about the emitter.

Just my 2 cents

-Fred

I vote for steel too. Serafino, in the comparison pic you have above what is the external texture like on the original interconnect? I'm probably mistaken but the top looks machined, where the parts met, but the sides look slightly grainy like it was sand-blasted or bead blasted.

Dave

<div class='quotetop'>(Usurper @ Jul 17 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]1282310[/snapback]</div>
so is the original thred in the junkyard with this dead?
[/b]

I believe that is a different vendor.

This run will be the most accurate to date.

FB

I vote for Inconel, if you are able to get it done in the $150-$200 price range. I think this is a fair price for something like this, and you absolutely cannot beat using the original materials. I don't want to purchase another emitter after this run, and so if you do it with Inconel, I don't feel I'll have to :)

Thanks Serafino.....

-Ss

Gigatron--Well spoken for the 'steel' vote, seems like it would be best to be able to offer both options.

Usurper--No thread on this one yet.

dcarty--I haven't identified that effect yet, but not all interconnects share the pattern. I would plan to have the face area bead-blasted (the ring of holes area at least for sure), it would not be a problem to have some blasted all around. I have some additional research going on that may provide the answer as to what the effect is on the originals.

Vaderdarth--noted.

Ssd--Thanks.

I say steel, close enough in finish and a better price. At the end of the day, no matter if it is the exact size, shape, and material, unless it was made by an aircraft manufacture and weathered inside a jet engine, it's still a replica.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back