The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Re: The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

I'm afraid at that price I am out. But I am still interested in steel. Something that is machined accurately and has weight (but prefereably not aluminum).

Yeah, I'm with Ghost Host...

What's the breakdown for steel?

We can almost buy our own ship for that...

Uhm....as nice as Iconel sounds..a bit out of range right now..

taht was for 20 pieces. what if it were 60?? to have an Iconel piece for around 120.00 to 150.00, with it looking accurate doesnt sound too bad????

We can almost buy our own ship for that...

Uhm....as nice as Iconel sounds..a bit out of range right now..

taht was for 20 pieces. what if it were 60?? to have an Iconel piece for around 120.00 to 150.00, with it looking accurate doesnt sound too bad????

I agree!

At $120-$150 I'll take two if it helps make the project happen :):thumbsup

-Ss

Much of the price is in tooling, which gets eaten up fast working Inconel. Cross fingers, but don't hold breath. :)

I still would prefer an accurate looking steel emitter...

My personal opinion of course...no matter what we get these made in, they're still replicas.
I just want it to look right.

It's not a list yet, it's just an attempt to work out the problems and figure out a direction.

I meant after the word exchange you and I had in that other Thread, when this becomes a list in the JY would I able to purchase one?

JK, although I can now afford to indulge myself in being blunt now and then, I would not seek to ‘punish’ anyone over a disagreement like ours.

But perhaps more to the point, ATL is coordinating this now, poor guy, and he is far, far less likely than I to commit the slightest unkindness. :)

I meant after the word exchange you and I had in that other Thread, when this becomes a list in the JY would I able to purchase one?

you know- it has nothing to do with the replica you are making, but this thread reminded me that while in Munich we saw a cool cutaway rolls royce engine in the Deutsches Museum. You can clearly see the IG88 heads and the interconnects. Anyway...if you are ever in Munich it was a fun little thing to see in a museum, and it made me think of you guys...

here a link to the website - I was hoping they'd have pics but I don't see them. :(

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/flugwerft/exhibitions/aero-engines/

actually it was very similar to this one

http://www.enginehistory.org/Gallery/Bruce Clouette/RR-RB41-Nene-cutaway.jpg

Last edited:

UPDATE:

Although we have drawings essentially completed, we unfortunately no longer have a ‘ringleader’ for this potential project. Although it is possible I could step back in, I’d rather have someone else do the footwork and mailing on this project.

THE SHORT VERSION (A summary for those of you who prefer not to read long wordy posts)

I’m fine with anyone doing a run of anything, and will help them attain accuracy, so long as their priority is best possible quality rather than making a buck, and their reputation is worthy of trust. I’d prefer to see a project which satisfies those who are dying to get a quality replica, i.e. steel, possibly plated to look like Inconel, and then perhaps a simpler aluminum piece as a budget-saver. We should stick together and use our buying power to make sure we get good quality rather than more ‘not-quite’ parts.

THE LONG VERSION

MY INVOLVEMENT

This is a good time for me to restate some things about my involvement in any projects.

I do not really care who does a run of emitters or handwheels or whatever SO LONG AS they are doing it for love rather than money, and so long as they are willing to work with other collectors to ENSURE that the resulting piece is ACCURATE to the film prop. (If you make a bit of money to soothe your feeling of lost time I don’t blame you, but if your priority is money, you WILL cut corners in order to make a profit or pay yourself for your time, and the product WILL suffer.)

I love honesty and forthrightness and a commitment to the cause. I don’t like corner-cutting, sloppiness, and enigmatic vendors who don’t want to talk about the accuracy of what they offer. This is a hobby and we are all in it together. Our collective purpose is to get the best stuff we can, not to provide targets for vendors to sell 2nd-rate product to. I’m sick of watching as vendors knowingly sell inaccurate stuff and people snap it up, and generation after generation of product which did not have to be so inaccurate ends up eating away the ability of the market to support accurate runs.

EMITTERS

I think most of us who are interested in getting a replica balance pipe would rather have steel if we can’t have Inconel, and some of us might like to have that steel plated with the odd warm color Darth Lars discovered, if it proves workable.

I have no problem with aluminum ones being done also, either exactly accurate, or a simplified screw-on version for those who prefer that. I’d even support and help such a project if it met my standards of accuracy and didn’t threaten to undercut a more accurate project.

I have said in the past that I would release the specs for these things publicly just as soon as a project for good replicas was completed, and I stand by that. I’m still selling off a last few boosters from my NON-PROFIT run, which I still have my own money tied up in, otherwise I’d have published the booster drawings by now.

So if anyone with the right background and reputation wants to coordinate this thing, let me know.

P.S. For anyone who misunderstands me and thinks I’m setting myself up as an authority figure or as being perfect, far from it. I have my faults; there are many aspects of doing a run which others do better than I do. And I don’t expect everyone to share my values about accuracy. I recognize very well that this being a ‘hobby’ means it’s none of my business what the other guy is doing. But I don’t think that changes the fact that more of us can be satisfied with what we get out of this hobby if we hang together.

Personally I'd love to see a lower cost aluminum one available only because I doubt I can afford a steel one (though I have not seen any prices listed for steel yet).

That being said, I also know the value in not dividing the market in order to get the lowest prices for everyone involved.

I sure hope this isnt directed at me - the prices I listed for the one I designed would have brought me no profit, and what I thought to be an accurate design, I have tried asking questions to correct those problems...

Hecubus--Since I don't know you I couldn't say whether my post was more like a criticism or an invitation towards you. If you're more inclined to take it as a criticism I would consider that to be more of a revealing accident than an intentional result. :)

Hecubus--Since I don't know you I couldn't say whether my post was more like a criticism or an invitation towards you. If you're more inclined to take it as a criticism I would consider that to be more of a revealing accident than an intentional result. :)

A revealing accident? I dont follow... but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt...

I will reiterate that my proposal would have brought me no profit - I am not out to undermine anyone or steal anyone's thunder... just wanted to contribute, I was met with less support than I had hoped for. From skimming this thread, I didnt know how cheap these were going to end up being, so I just wanted to try and make a "value" alternative, if you will...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back