The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Re: The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Will the reflector be provided afterwards? What have you planned for mounting mechanism?

Yeah been chatting with Howard we can sort that out after as thats not going to be a hard part to machine :)

Russ

Just to clarify a few things for everyone.

I've drawn up a blueprint using my original balance pipe.
That blueprint has been sent to Andres, and he has provided detailed feedback concerning the print compared to his original measurements for the Obee/Serafino emitter and pictures of the prop.
I'm now in the process of pouring over these measurements along with my own reference material.

Russ is going to provide me with a CNC machined prototype to study.
From this, (with Andres help I hope - cos my old mate can't leave this thing alone no matter what he says :angel:lol ) the most accurate replica will be produced by Russ.

My next task will be to draw a blueprint for a 'cone reflector' which will push fit inside the replica emitters.
A few grooves on the outside surface of the flat face of the cone, where it meets the inside of the emitter will allow fixing with epoxy.
The inside cone I hope will be chromed - Russ will confirm that.
If that's not possible, then I know he'll be able to polish them to a high reflective shine.

The cone's function is two fold.
Firstly, to represent what we've all studied from stills and screen grabs from the Death Star hanger scene.
Secondly, to provide a connection point between the emitter, and a grenade which will follow.
At the moment I have no idea if the reflector will accomodate your existing grenade stem.
I'll be drawing the blueprint for the cone to fit the grenade Russ plans to machine.
It may be the connection will be slightly too large or too small for say, a Roman / Chen / Parks stem.
Time will tell, and all in good time.

The plan is to get these pieces correct, once and for all.

Sorry Andres. :confused :$ :lol

Here's a pic of my Interconnect from which the blueprint was drawn, compared with the prop.
Okay, the angle's not a 100% exact match, but you get the idea.

ObiComp.jpg

Thanks to Sir wacky the chimpness.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like it! Are we planning these in aluminum, steel, stainless??? Just curious.

Dave :)

I was thinking Aluminum, and mild steel.
Russ

Last edited:

Howard, well done on the photo, that's quite useful!

The chamfer on the smaller tube varies quite a bit on different examples. Since we can't see one on the prop (not in the Mechanismo picture either--you have the higher-res version of that which was posted last year?), I figured to make it the smallest which is excusable by an original, so .02" (.5 mm) seems reasonable.

The chamfer on the large tube looks like a good match but when you start looking for unworn spots on the prop you realize that in its original state it was a bit bigger. My original scaling of this for the Obee1 project was .08" (2.032 mm), but lately I've been leaning upwards a bit.

The chamfer on your flange is larger than on the prop, so I'd look at reducing that a bit, and it appears that your flange edge is smaller, so that can enlarge with the shrinking of the chamfer.

What kind of steel are we talking about? 303 stainless? Is that the cheapest?

I honestly don't know, I just know 303 is relatively soft and easy to machine compared to some other steels.

BTW, it's lookin' good!

EDIT: And is it perched on a Lego?

Last edited:

Many thanks, Andres!
I'm going to have another go at comparisons tomorrow.
I think it's possible for me to match the angles, but this time trying to match lighting also with the original.
I'll also use my other camera, a tripod (rather than table top) and experiment with focal lengths.
Could it be the flange shape (size) is slightly distorted by the lens size / focal length used way back when?

Yes, that's Lego - my son's BTW. :)

BTW, it's lookin' good!

EDIT: And is it perched on a Lego?

'It' is an original real balance pipe, so it would indeed be 'lookin' good'. ;)

If stainless is used the machining costs will most likely increase due to wear on the tooling, so I would think the only reason to use it would be if a crude dark grade could be found which is a particularly good match for the color of the originals.

Also I urge anyone who makes these to find a suitable media for blasting the flange face and ring of holes to a matte finish. If a warm/dark grey metal is used and this matte texture is created, the face of the flange will match the prop beautifully in a way which cannot otherwise be produced IMO, and when the ring of holes is blackened it will end up with right look also.

Howard--there is perspective distortion, and it is an issue with scaling, the scale on the near surface (centers of cylinders) is different from on the edges (sides of cylinders). But the prop photo was not taken from especially close, so the distortion is not likely to be greater in the prop photo than in yours. When I matched the setup I think I ended up with the camera more than a meter away to match the ellipses.

Oh and if you're particularly thinking of the flange edge on this issue, I think you'll find that my observation holds true even down on the bottom where the edge is curving away and receding. :)

Last edited:

Chemically etching the steel (after polishing) can give the a dull grey look.

SAS

Last edited:

Call this what you like divine intervention / synchronicity / serendipity - but I found it strange when I began working on a negative comp pic to help clarify measurements.
I'm scaling down the ref pic I have against the pic I took of my balance pipe.

That number comes up every now and then. :eek

Last edited:

Oh and if you're particularly thinking of the flange edge on this issue, I think you'll find that my observation holds true even down on the bottom where the edge is curving away and receding. :)

Exactly where I was thinking of!
The bottom flange edge is what I'm working on (or will be tomorrow) to help clarify measurements.

Okay - now. What am I thinking?

Thanks Andres!

Chemically etching the steel (after polishing) can give the a dull grey look.
I sulfamate-nickel plated (chemical plating, not electro-plating) my obee1 (steel) emitter. It is not quite dull, but not as shiny as before either. I'd love to some day compare its finish to that of a real balance pipe.

I have the prototype sitting in front of me.
Russ has done a superb job by hand.

The ring of holes and void in the second stage have not been possible as a tool would need to be made to machine these parts.
The thickness of the emitter edge is a little too thick, but this is understandable as one slip and it's game over as the edge thickness is 0.7mm!

These area will be a breeze for the CNC department Russ has sourced for this project, as their tolerance level is 0.0001mm.

Now, I have my wife's parents with us at the moment - the kid's are off school and we're trying to hang three internal doors, so, when I get a free moment or five, I'll post some pics...

I'll have the blueprint nailed by tomorrow at the latest with any luck.

I'd like to express my gratitude to Andres and Mike Spaw for helping out with this project. Their sharing of info and spending time has moved this project forward at a greater pace and with a confidence of accuracy. Many thanks guys! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back