Predators - Royce Costume

I want to start my own Royce build. How much have you guys spent?

Might be interested in selling my complete costume....which is about the most complete and accurate one next to having the real thing. Only thing not 100% is the watch....which is just a similar watch with a printed Hamilton watch face.

Might be interested in selling my complete costume....which is about the most complete and accurate one next to having the real thing. Only thing not 100% is the watch....which is just a similar watch with a printed Hamilton watch face.

Okay, thanks for replying. Looks like it'll be an expensive one.

I want to start my own Royce build. How much have you guys spent?
Hair over £1400 at this point. No watch, wrong knife, and no camo pattern on the AA-12.
Ouch! I estimate mines about 400 pound cheaper than that (no watch, but correct knife and have camo wrap on AA-12). I guess most of that is the extortionate cost of airsoft weapons in the UK, yeah?
I was pretty surprised to see I'd spend that much actually.

And speaking of camo wrap. I've used the M3 vinyl wrap and have tried ageing it with a orange/rust wash ... looks cool but it just wipes off. Doh. Not tried any form of top coat yet (as not sure just what to try ...)

Question for other wrap users out there, how did you discolour your AA-12???

Ouch! I estimate mines about 400 pound cheaper than that (no watch, but correct knife and have camo wrap on AA-12). I guess most of that is the extortionate cost of airsoft weapons in the UK, yeah?
I was pretty surprised to see I'd spend that much actually.

I had a lot of difficulty finding the Condor gear over here. I had to import a lot of smalls from Europe or the States - It was the shipping that stung me!

Answered my own question re weathering the vinyl wrap on my AA-12.

1) FAIL - AK Interactive Enamel Wash. No good, just wipes off.

2) SUCCESS - TRG Colour Dye for leather, canvas & vinyl. So far, this stuff appears to be awesome! For leather, you're meant to slightly abrade the target area. DO NOT do this for vinyl, you will scratch off the patterning.

The test pieces I've done with the TRG have set really well and seem to be 'rub-proof'. The really test will be walking around and holding the AA-12 (which I won't be doing anytime soon, I don't think).

Been a while since my last post, lots of other projects and trying to find a job etc. however ive had some time to work on the last needed piece for my TM AA12, the front RIS rail has been tough to find so i just rendered my own. its very rough and needs some cleaning up but i should be able to have it up on shape ways soon with an aluminum opition. Screenshot (25).pngScreenshot (24).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    537.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    477.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Very cool Jaeger! And shapeways is a great idea. Certainly keen on one.

Couple of questions please -
* what diameter are you using for the barrel cutout? Is it based to fit the Tokyo Marui AA-12?
EDIT: just re-read your post & so I've answered my own question :)

* Any chance of modelling a 2nd version without the rail? I've already brought a alu RIS of [what I believe to be] the right length?

Bit a hard call as to what would be the stronger build - a separate, machined rail screwed into a printed block or the rail as a printed part of the mounting block. Just thinking out loud as it were as I indeed to airsoft in my Royce loadout, and that can be a bit rough on gear.

Last edited:
Pulling this post from my personal blog and posting it here for posterity:

Original posted at artandrews.com on August 5, 2011.

Adrian Brody – Royce Costume from Predators – Shemagh Modification

Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf (Product #: 8537) in Tan

This is a detailed explanation of the modification necessary to create Royce’s shemagh from Predators.

Start with a Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf (Product #: 8537) in Tan. Right away, let me say that Rothco also makes a Lightweight version of this shemagh, product #4537. The lightweight version is NOT the correct version. This shemagh can be found all over the net and is readily available for roughly $10.

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-1.jpg

Cut the shemagh into quarters.

The shemagh is roughly a 42″ X 42″ square. To modify it as seen on Royce, you will need to cut the shemagh into quarters that are approximately 21″ X 21″ each. It is important to note the orientation of the shemagh for the next step.

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-2.jpg

Discard two quarters

Royce’s shemagh retains roughly the same basic orientation (although there were surely multiple copies used) throughout the movie with slight variations. After cutting the Rotcho shemagh, there will be two quarters that can be folded to match Royce’s shemagh precisely and two that cannot. Note the illustration to the left and discard the two quarters indicated. You may use either or the remaining quarters.

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-3.jpg

Fold the shemagh in half on the diagonal.

Fold the cut quarter of the shemagh in half on the diagonal. Note that there are a clear front and back to the shemagh. Make sure you fold it so the back touches itself and the tassels are on the right-hand side of the shemagh as shown in the illustration.

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-4.jpg

Roll down the top of the shemagh

Fold approximately 1 3/4″ of the top of the shemagh to the backside of the shemagh twice. You may need to try this several times and make slight adjustments to get the final look to be appropriate. From the front, the shemagh should be a triangle with long, thin ends. From the rear, the rolled down top is obvious, creating a slightly thick and at the top and a thin triangle below it.

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-5.jpg

Finished Royce Shemagh

The rolled top of the shemagh will be fairly puffy. I suggest wetting the shemagh to flatten it a bit and while wet, twist the ends to create rope-like tails. Additionally, you might want to add small tacking stitching to either side of the rolled to once you are completely satisfied with it to ensure it stays properly rolled. Because the weave of the shemagh is so rough, these stitches are easily hidden.

As mentioned earlier, Royce’s shemagh isn’t perfectly consistent throughout the movie. Sometimes it is high on his neck and sometimes it is barely visible which is primarily due to how loosely it is tied at the back of the neck. Sometimes the tails of the shemagh are hanging outside Royce’s shirt, but most of the time they are tucked in. I have found that a loose single knot works best and allows for easy adjustment. Here you can see two images of Royce’s Shemagh from Predators:

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-6.jpg

Royce's Shemagh after parachuting to the Predator world

predators-royce-costume-shemagh-tutorial-7.jpg

Royce using his shemagh against smoke in Noeland's hideout.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back