Karl Urban as JUDGE DREDD

I think the photo looks intriguing. Not sure what to make of it. I'm surprised they stuck that close to the comic with the look. I was expecting something more along the lines of a Singer X-Men or a Nolan Batman with a re-envisioned costume.

That all said, I've read the script by the genius and prolific Alex Garland and was impressed. This is definitely not your 90s Rambo JD. Very hard, very violent. And no cheesy one-liners from our main man.

Seriously, I have to say, I do like the straight-down cheek pieces on the helmet, and I understand why Urban's head is apparently set back a bit in the photo as your snout needs to clear the visor. The Sly helmet looks like a costume piece and not a piece of protective head-gear, and the flared-out version:

dredd2.jpg

looks a bit cartoon-y for a "real" world bit of gear. And with Urban saying in interviews "I'm not taking off the helmet," I have some high hopes for this one.

The Sly helmet looks like a costume piece and not a piece of protective head-gear

The whole Sly outfit looked like that to me. Way too shiny and polished. This new version looks like it's actually seen some use and been lived in. It's not the outfit of a man who spends time polishing it for a parade, but of a man who gets it dirty.

I'm a fan of Sly, but his JD was never a favourite of mine.

It didn't capture the edgy mood of the 2001 comics. I always felt that the mood of a JD film should be akin to the original Mad Max, or maybe A Clockwork Orange. Kind of brutal and graphic, with a bit of heart and a bit of costume/props razmatazz thrown in.

Here's my thoughts...
  1. Judge Aberg scooped ya! Had this news up a couple hours earlier, over in the Replica Costumes Forum! ;)
  2. I am NOT a fan of Ain't It UNcool News, I've detested Harry, his site, and everything they stand for since about 2000. So I'm glad RPFers are repeating the news here, or I'd have missed it.
  3. The comic style helmet looks good. I LOVE that the uniform looks even MORE like biker leathers to protect the Street Judge while he's patrolling on his Lawmaster motorcycle. I'm digging the fact that the new movie's Lawgiver looks more like the Lawgiver Mark II in the comics. But I am NOT digging the scaled down shoulder armor. The defining, signature traits of the Street Judge uniform are the helmet, the shoulder armor, and that big, bold badge. For them to get 2 of the elements so right, and then so badly mess up the third, really disappoints me. :unsure
Still, I'm very much looking forward to this movie! :cool

That all said, I've read the script by the genius and prolific Alex Garland and was impressed. This is definitely not your 90s Rambo JD. Very hard, very violent. And no cheesy one-liners from our main man.

Say WHAT?!?

Dredd is ALL ABOUT the cheesy one-liners, man!! All about them! Dredd without one-liners ain't Dredd!

Well, ok, not so much cheese, maybe more 'tough-guy catchphrases', but he's gotta have those...

Urban looks pretty decent, gotta say. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back