PIH Production Vader Helmet Up for Auction / Vader Helmet Discussion

EvilRocketeer

Master Member
Before any-one can post any blurry pictures of the helmet ;) I figure I post pictures from the PIH Catalogue...Any thoughts on this helmet?

7cf7e9da.png

2883358b.png

Last edited:
Re: PIH Production Vader Helmet Up for Auction

HOLY ****. This is looking interesting.

So this is the master that was sent to Don Post? COOOL!!!

Sad that it's been painted and covered the details.I wanna see more pics.

Will be interesting to see which mold it comes from.

Wish they'd do the hi-rez 360 degree thing that Christie's did with their "supposedly" production made helmet. At least this is unquestionably more interesting and more sanely priced.

This was as large as I could capture it without it becoming too pixelated.

Last edited:

If this comes from an executive at Don Post studios is this helmet currently owned by Bill Malone then?

If it is then it is a meant to be a genuine sister helmet to the ANH screen helmet.

So far from the pictures even though it has a clean paint job it still looks really really nice.

The lower black and white photograph of the Vader helmet with the tabs is the ANH screen helmet right?

This will sell for a great price and good luck to the owner.

Chris

If this comes from an executive at Don Post studios is this helmet currently owned by Bill Malone then?

If it is then it is a meant to be a genuine sister helmet to the ANH screen helmet.
So, you're basically saying direct from the ANH production mold and not from the later UK and Rick Baker molds?

Am I remembering correctly when I think *Boba Fett helmet* when reading his name?

Last edited:

So, you're basically saying direct from the ANH production mold and not from the later UK and Rick Baker molds?

I am not sure what it is :lol

I had heard before that Bill Malone had a sister helmet to the ANH screen helmet.

If it was made in the UK by Shepperton as the paperwork that comes with it says then it is one of two things.

1. A sister helmet direct from the original mould. Remembering of course if it is then lots of the damage on the screen helmet will be missing and it will be cleaner than the screen Vader we know.

It was not painted when it arrived at Don Post I presume it was what the screen helmet looked like before painting and on set damage / paint touch ups etc.

2. A copy taken from the original screen helmet before it left the UK like the typical UK mould helmets we see. If that is the case then Don Post would have had to have cleaned it up extensively before it was repainted.

If it had tabs cast into it the it is a screen copy / if it doesn't then very possibly it came from the original mould.

If it has screw holes like the US mould then well you know the rest :)

Chris

Am I remembering correctly when I think *Boba Fett helmet* when reading his name?

Carsten, you're thinking about Lee Malone in regards to Fett.

Chris, yes that's the original in the lower pic taken by Bill Malone when the original was at DPS.

No that would be Lee Malone.

Bill Malone was a Don Post mask maker and EFX guy.

Google Bill Malone Vader and you will get a lot about his career.

I don't know him and have had no contact with him (I figured he gets a lot of Star Wars mail so decided not to pester him) but heard he was a really nice helpful guy.

This might be a totally different helmet of course.

Chris

From the description:

Construction of fiberglass, this production helmet was acquired from Shepperton Design Studios and comes with a letter of provenance from an executive at Don Post Studios....

Tis the season for unauthentic Vader items to be sold through auction houses for big money. :rolleyes

Got to see this one in person on Monday... sadly, I don't know anything about Vader, so I can't really help... all I know is when Brian started telling me about it I thought "well, this should make for an interesting thread on the RPF" and.... here we are!

Got to see this one in person on Monday... sadly, I don't know anything about Vader, so I can't really help... all I know is when Brian started telling me about it I thought "well, this should make for an interesting thread on the RPF" and.... here we are!

Art, any chance you could get some 360 degree pics of it?

Did you see it without the dome on? Where there any marks on top of the skull of the face mask, where the velcro is or was it clean?

Would be cool if they'd post more pictures of it.

From the description:

Tis the season for unauthentic Vader items to be sold through auction houses for big money. :rolleyes

Yeah. Seems like AA is not only a trooper expert, but a vader one as well.:wacko

From the description:

Hi Gino,

I am presuming that is meant to read Shepperton film studios.

Due to a certain gentleman putting the company name Shepperton Design Studios in the limelight for all the wrong reasons whoever wrote the jargon for the brochure or whoever gave them the info may have got the company names mixed up.

I certainly don't think this is Andrew Ainsworth linked like the current Christies farce.

If this comes from where it says it comes then it is a helmet of excellent pedigree.

The fact that the Bill Malone / Don Post image of the screen helmet is used says something of it origins already.

Art did you get any pics at all you can't tease us like this :)

Cheers Chris

Yeah. Seems like AA is not only a trooper expert, but a vader one as well.:wacko

No mention of AA I think there is some confusion between SDS and Shepperton Film Studios.

If this was given to Don Post studios to make the original kids mask then it would have been late 1970s.

Chris

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back