PIH Production Vader Helmet Up for Auction / Vader Helmet Discussion

Re: PIH Production Vader Helmet Up for Auction

The only thing I would add to or clarify on Thomas' mini-glossary is that the GH / Jeff, in the context of this thread, are ANH. Through Jeff also came a ROTJ helmet. We generally use terms like "GH ANH", "GH ROTJ" and "Jeff ROTJ" to distinguish between helmets from the two films.

The only thing I would add to or clarify on Thomas' mini-glossary is that the GH / Jeff, in the context of this thread, are ANH. Through Jeff also came a ROTJ helmet. We generally use terms like "GH ANH", "GH ROTJ" and "Jeff ROTJ" to distinguish between helmets from the two films.

Thanks all for the definitions... the basic ones I knew... and many others I could find online, but had been confused by the discussion in general. Now it is much clearer!

I also forgot to say, I do have one little Star Wars item... the 5,000+ piece Lego Millennium Falcon. Not a prop, or screen used, but it was a HUGE accomplishment to finish. The instruction book is a huge full color spiral bound 300+ page book (several pounds) and the parts are NOT sorted. Thank goodness for muffin tins.

If you love legos and Star Wars, its a fun set to do. Not for small kids, lots of tiny pieces.

Ya although this is OT I read reviews about that Lego Falcon and how epic the build is. That must take real dedication. I've got the recent Hasbro Millenium Falcon, the big one, but probably wouldn't have the time to work on something like the Lego one. :eek

Ya although this is OT I read reviews about that Lego Falcon and how epic the build is. That must take real dedication. I've got the recent Hasbro Millenium Falcon, the big one, but probably wouldn't have the time to work on something like the Lego one. :eek
My son got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and it took me 9 solid days to build...And I mean solid days!!

Ya I think I read somewhere as the shortest time being 3 days nonstop? :confused

But anyway probably best to stick to topic. :confused

Ya I think I read somewhere as the shortest time being 3 days nonstop? :confused

But anyway probably best to stick to topic. :confused

Legos are always on topic!!! ;)

I will post a couple of pics later today... off to talk to our framer about backlighting our BSG Map of Kobol. I am so excited! We saved up for this one...

Always nervous commenting in a "Vader" thread!:lol

So do we have any idea how many screen used helmets were made for ANH? Not tour, just screen used or production and not used.

I know that there are questions to the refurbishing of them for ESB and ROTJ so I'm curious just how many were made originally for ANH.

Thanks,
Chuck...

Only one Vader helmet was used on screen for the entire ANH production.
We don't have any actual hard confirmation of how many backups were made.
Anything else is just speculation.

Gino's right about one being seen onscreen. Further to that, Brian Muir has stated that there were three pulls from the original mold, perhaps four.

Further to that, Brian Muir has stated that there were three pulls from the original mold, perhaps four.

All speculation. there is nothing concrete to back that up. And so to many people that myth has become reality which is unfortunate. It could very well be true, but we simply don't know for certain.
And not to take anything away from Brian (as I do have respect for his contributions towards the creation of some of our favorite characters), but aside from the initial sculpting of the items, he had nothing else to do with Vader from that point. He did not make the molds, nor the subsequent castings, nor did he have anything to do with the finishing up of those pieces.
If I am mistaken about these facts, I would love to see them clarified in more depth.

So you guys really don't KNOW how many were made OR whether more than one was used in the first film.

All speculation based on your observations?

So you guys really don't KNOW how many were made OR whether more than one was used in the first film.

All speculation based on your observations?

There is only speculation when it comes to how many were made for the production.
But when it comes to one helmet being used, it can be screen matched throughout the entire film as well as supporting production photos taken throughout the duration of the filming schedule.

So if screen matching is proof, that's the proof.

I find that hard to swallow, been around and handled too many other original items and heard too many stories that turned out false to buy that.

Not that my opinion matter one lick, but I feel folks should steer away from these definitive statements without REAL proof.

All speculation. there is nothing concrete to back that up. And so to many people that myth has become reality which is unfortunate. It could very well be true, but we simply don't know for certain.
And not to take anything away from Brian (as I do have respect for his contributions towards the creation of some of our favorite characters), but aside from the initial sculpting of the items, he had nothing else to do with Vader from that point. He did not make the molds, nor the subsequent castings, nor did he have anything to do with the finishing up of those pieces.
If I am mistaken about these facts, I would love to see them clarified in more depth.

As Gino mentioned, one can see based on certain tells that it is the same mask at least throughout the film. I have a theory about the helmet (dome) but that's for another thread.

Well I can't speak for Brian but if one simply limits his contribution to sculpting Vader maybe there are a few more things that should be pointed out in case it wasn't known, and Brian can correct me if he likes but these are from my own notes of discussions with him.

Brian spent five months working on the production of Star Wars, worked right next to the plasterers, new a few of them personally including the head of the plaster department, and saw them casting out the helmets in the plaster shop, and knows which departments the helmet and armor pieces went through in each step of the costume-making process. He knew the guy who molded Dave Prowse, knew another gentleman who was responsible for dressing Dave Prowse on a daily basis onset, and he went onset and saw the costume himself. Furthermore, he worked with Liz Moore, he refined the C3PO sculpture, sculpted in its entirety the stormtrooper armor, sculpted the RA-7 droid head, along with CZ-1, and he worked later on Star Wars TPM.

From the beginning Brian he has been specific about there being at least three pulls from the original production mold. So this is based on someone who was intimately involved in the production, saw the castings being made, and knew the people who worked on the castings.

That's all great info. And I am not saying any of it is right or wrong.

But a little perpspective here.

I had a dozen or more conversations with Bob May (the guy in the Lost in Space robot suit) and the guys who maintained the suit through the shows three year run.

Those guys told me things they were positive about but from photographs couldn't possibly be true. Provided you consider photo reference definitive.

30 year old memories are not necessarily 100% accurate.

Funny - I always come in late on these things. I just got the catalog and rushed to post on the Prop Den when you were all well underway over here. I should check first!!!

Anyway, this helmet looked immediately suspicious to me too. Is very very cleaned up, unfortunately. And the helmet/ dome is without the waves it would have if ANH. Someone sanded them out big time if they were there.

A very cleaned up helmet. Efx will be a lot closer, like someone said.

Would LOVE to get pics. of inside. I mean - are they saying that the velcro now works to support the whole thing?!!! I'd love to see that.

Hmmm.

Very suspicious.

Never a dull moment in a Vader thread!!:lol

My wife is a costumer and she asked me this rather obvious question;
"So has anyone spoken with the wardrobe mistress (or mister?) that dressed the actor?"

She feels that if anyone would know, that person would know how many masks were available at any given time.

It could very possibly be that they only used one but I have a hard time believing that only one was cast.

The cardinal sin on any set is holding up production so I would think multiples would be a no brainer.

Wasn't another made with the see-thru bits for the stunt man on ANH?
Even in a conservative count, that would be two.

Does anyone have the complete call sheets for the film? If there is second unit filming Vader at the same time as principal shooting, that would be an opportunity for another casting.

I think this also illustrates the major differences between a site like HeroCom and the possibility of any definitive Vader site.
Just not enough documentation/paper trail on Vader.

Of course you can't go on the opinion/word of the "Talent" , they don't know or care about this stuff for the most part, but if you don't feel you can count on the word of ANY of the people there at the time simply because it was thirty years ago, I don't know why anyones guess would be as good as anyone else's.

Chuck...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back