Dr. Strangelove survival kit

PaulEscolar

Does this exsist??

I'm pretty new here, and have been gulping down as much as i can in the searches!! But no luck, Thanks!

1 .45 automatic.
2 boxes of ammunition.
4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
100 dollars in rubles.
100 dollars in gold.
9 packs of chewing gum.
1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings.

YouTube - Dr. Strangelove: Check List

can anyone identify the case the supplies come in from this low quality (sorry) clip of the scene? I was not able to find screencaps, but only made a cursory search. It seems to be either canvas or leather with a buckle around it, and inside is a clear plastic lid. Custom made for the movie, or stock item, possibly with modifications?

YouTube - Dr. Strangelove: Check List

can anyone identify the case the supplies come in from this low quality (sorry) clip of the scene? I was not able to find screencaps, but only made a cursory search. It seems to be either canvas or leather with a buckle around it, and inside is a clear plastic lid. Custom made for the movie, or stock item, possibly with modifications?

I found this link.

+ The authorized Stanley Kubrick Exhibition website +

The item in the movie isn't a stock US military item. Survival supplies would be split between a vest and a kit that is in the seat pan of the ejection seats.

It may have been something laying around on the lot while filming. I never thought of putting together one of these for my post apoc collection. The dollar general always has toy .45 pistols cheap and the rest well shouldn't be too hard to replicate even if not 100 accurately.

A challenging project if you carry it through, recreating the correct wrappers etc but would be an incredible prop to have. Very:cool

I can't make much out of the inner box part, but the outside from the Kubrick site photo just looks like an Army olive drab canvas pack. The lettering looks like it is probably some sort of silk-screened or rubber stamped on process. The leather straps could be worked out of small dog collars riveted on. I'd say it's doable.

The real challenge seems like it would be what did condom packaging look like back in the 1960s? Or for that matter the pantyhose? I hear the people that prop "Mad Men" on AMC are cracker at sourcing and recreating all those sorts of packaging from the 50's-60's. Perhaps someone who has contacts could ask them?

I think an inkjet printer to some card stock paper and one staple and the Thins live again!

I went looking for it but I haven't found it yet, but somewhere I have my father's Korean War era little New Testament Bible. I don't recall it having any phrase book, but it has those impossibly thin pages. Is 'onion skin' what they called that? I swear I remember it was printed in England too. I'll keep looking for it.

One could probably replicate the rest of the bits substituting packaging on that Otoupalik site. It would be a nice prop to keep in one's glove compartment!

Does this exsist??

I'm pretty new here, and have been gulping down as much as i can in the searches!! But no luck, Thanks!

1 .45 automatic.
2 boxes of ammunition.
4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
100 dollars in rubles.
100 dollars in gold.
9 packs of chewing gum.
1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings.

It's not the same without Slim saying it, huh?

This is a great idea, by the way!

I saw that Internet photo of the screenused kit from the Kubrick exhibit.
For some reason, knowing it exsist discourages me from attempting to replicate it without proper photos from the exhibit. :(. anyone got shots?

Also, seems like the kit could have been made from or fabricated from an actual kit from the era.
The light green makes me suspect it was from a medical or first aid kit- what you guys think?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back